• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 8: Rabbitohs v Storm

What??
Wayne took us to a GF and then the following year we went to the PF.
That’s your definition of sucked and failure?

Puhlease Wayne left us in a solid position - all the failures after 2022 are our own making.
OK . So when were all those players Wayne recruited coming off contract . From what I remember he went all out to get a premiership and didn't recruit adequate backup strength for the years ahead . Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but if the backup strength wasn't good enough of course when injury and suspension took hold of our squad we were going to struggle.

OK . So when were all those players Wayne recruited coming off contract . From what I remember he went all out to get a premiership and didn't recruit adequate backup strength for the years ahead . Happy to be corrected if I'm wrong, but if the backup strength wasn't good enough of course when injury and suspension took hold of our squad we were going to struggle.
Nonsense - off the top of my head this is when contracts were extended - which had no WB input.
21 - Reynolds, let go.
22 - Walker and Mitchell extended
23 - Tatola, Keaon, Graham, Arrow, Cook, Murray extended
23 - Wighton recruited

That’s our whole spine and then bulk of our forward pack all extended under the current management and coach.

This mess has zero to do with Wayne

Tough day in the office alround.

The club needs to do a few things Publicly:

1. Make a decision on the Coach - goes now or stays til season end - and they accept the consequences of that call on recruitment and retention.

- the speculation isn’t helping anyone focus on their job coaching, playing or support.

2. All players are to be selected on fitness, form and positional leadership. Not picked means you are NOT any one or more of those three things in the squad at present.

- This should cut the crap about selections and focus players on consistent improvement in their game- they need to own it.

3. Own the current position of the team as uncompetitive and under review. The mantra of week to week and game by game only means that.

- with the other 2 things this shuts down the outside noise. Everything gets referred back to the bottom line - we are not Competitive in this competition and only focussed on becoming more competitive each and every week.

Further to my post above we could have decided to go a completely different direction at the end of 22.

Not that it matters - We could have recruited Nathan Cleary and Payne Hass and we would still be in this mess.
JD has failed.

Bennett also contributed to this mess. He suggested the coach everyone wants gone and didn't recruit well in his stint here. We bring him back and there's a big chance we'll be going through this again when his tenure finishes again. Have a look at the other clubs he's coached at.
Bennett suggested we keep Reynolds, you cant blame Bennett for being good at his job so that others fail after he leaves.

Like i said before - ditch the succession plan, its never worked.

Get Bennett on a 3 year deal and see how that goes, if he wants to stay on then let him stay on.

If he wants to go then go to market for the next coach then.

I’m not sure Wayne would want to get rid of Brock. I’m quite sure he gave him a glowing endorsement. Could be wrong.

But the thing with Brock he wouldn’t be stepping on the toes of Wayne at all. He would stay in his lane with him around.
This is why Brock either needs to go or we get a strong coach in like Bennett who wont cop his nonsense.

Nonsense - off the top of my head this is when contracts were extended - which had no WB input.
21 - Reynolds, let go.
22 - Walker and Mitchell extended
23 - Tatola, Keaon, Graham, Arrow, Cook, Murray extended
23 - Wighton recruited

That’s our whole spine and then bulk of our forward pack all extended under the current management and coach.

This mess has zero to do with Wayne
More damming are these decisons

22 - Tass, Milne, Thompson, Lovett extended
23 - Host, Chee Kam extended

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR FROM THE CLUB ie email. fancy saying we will give him the next two games which were penrith and storm .they must have a replacement . thoughts ?

Well said Brownrabbit and spot on!

I’ve cut and pasted my earlier reply to captainsutto regarding JD and the contrast with Ivan Cleary and Penrith. Have a go at the player drain but they keep winning premierships!!

What about Round 12 onwards 2023?
Every team has injuries. Suspension is a result of low expectations and current culture within the club. Latrell probably frustrated. Who knows.

I know a sure thing. Bennett never had problems with any of the current crop that he coached, which is most of them. He got the best out of each player.

Since then we’ve gone backwards every season. Every season.

Club’s decision making reflects our current backline. Slow.

In contrast Penrith have lost this lot:
Burton, Capewell, Naden, Momirovski, Tyrone May, Jennings, Katoa, Hopgood, Kikau, Staines, O’Sullivan, Teague, Koroisau, Cogger, Peru x2, Hosking, Jenkins, Leniu, Salmon, Crichton, Luai. Probably more….
…and still won 3 premierships!

You can only hide for so long…..

We deserve better!

We certainly do deserve better! The rot started with JD anointing unproven and uncredentialled players in Ilias and Paulo way back at the start of 2022. I could smell it, highlighted it and was criticised for it. That’s OK but I could see the lack of a dominant half and centre. Mentioned it to Kempy and rabbits21 at the Souths-Norths NSW Cup Grand Final last season. I feel that this was JD wanting to put his stamp on the team post Bennett. He spoke as if he was a highly successful and experienced NRL coach - only trouble is he wasn’t!

Another thing: we have never had a game plan under JD. The dominant left side under Bennett disappeared with nothing, 5 hit ups then a shit kick that put no opposition catcher under pressure or went out in the full.

An erosion of high standards and expectations, positive attitudes and team culture.

It’s been beyond the coach since late last season and nothing has transpired. It’s firmly on the club now.

Sign Wayne now. He’ll know which players to keep, which ones to discard (Milne, Host etc) and there would be time to attract decent talent.

What a story that would be….

The clock is ticking……..
You're spot on!
Don't let these apologists and happy clappers dent the truth.
JD has destroyed our footy team and has proven to be an arrogant and ignorant Coach.
Watching last night how the Storm were offloading in every other tackle and playing the ball while we had 2 or 3 still on the ground showed how far off the pace we are as far as strength, conditioning, fitness and hunger than the other sides.
This ALL comes down the the Coach. he is way out of his depth and the question has to be asked whether the rest of the Football Admin needs to go with him.
This is a debacle and one which has lingered for 18 months now.]
Sam was right and proven correct and all our Admin has done is run interference for JD ever since.
They ALL need to go!

More damming are these decisons

22 - Tass, Milne, Thompson, Lovett extended
23 - Host, Chee Kam extended

No offense to shaq, he can be handy but he looks to be re-signed as well.

But we need a prop forward that has aggression and who is intimidating. An enforcer.

We keep signing and retaining vanilla type players.

No offense to Gagai but a guy getting close to his 30's given a top 30 spot when we over look players like Dom Young.

You forgot Kennar was retained this season and we signed Keppie who was shit at Manly

Are they going to bother to try and replace Tom Burgess metres?

Last edited:
This season is seriously hard to take as it is.
Is there any chance we can come on here and not have to read every second post someone having a go at some one else and name calling?
Like seriously.
Everyone’s hurting, not sure taking it out on each other is the answer

IT WOULD BE NICE TO HEAR FROM THE CLUB ie email. fancy saying we will give him the next two games which were penrith and storm .they must have a replacement . thoughts ?
No - that’s never how it works.
Read between the lines - the club has asked JD how he is going to turn it around and he has given them a 5 week plan and brought in Furner and the club has agreed.
I’m not sure he is going to get 5 weeks after last night.

TBH unless we are appointing someone new for the long term sacking JD is not going to change much on the field this season i don’t expect.
Sacking him is really about allowing us to meaningfully talk to other options for the job and getting some positivity in the joint. Right now trotting out JD who is a dead man walking is just stinking up everyone.

Apparently Sam B took a trip to Newcastle to sign Young.
Dom signed with Chooks for less!😇😇😇😇😇😇
Our club is broke or stupid

No - that’s never how it works.
Read between the lines - the club has asked JD how he is going to turn it around and he has given them a 5 week plan and brought in Furner and the club has agreed.
I’m not sure he is going to get 5 weeks after last night.

TBH unless we are appointing someone new for the long term sacking JD is not going to change much on the field this season i don’t expect.
Sacking him is really about allowing us to meaningfully talk to other options for the job and getting some positivity in the joint. Right now trotting out JD who is a dead man walking is just stinking up everyone.

It will be hard to sign a new coach while the old coach is still there as well.

that's why he needs to be sacked ASAP and then we can look at serious candidates for next season.

Back