• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 5: Rabbitohs v Warriors

I went to training this morning.

This was the first time I've been to a training session that wasn't a captains run so it was really cool to see them do a full session. They did a full opposed session, basically playing a game with full contact. However, it was scenario based, the coaches would get them to start at one point of the field and they went from there. They'd do this for an eight-minute period, then have a break and come together for a debrief, they did this about 6 times throughout the session.

I must say, it all looked pretty good to me. The physicality was pretty up there, they really ripped into each other, and it was an intense session. I was impressed with the energy on show and there was that much chat out there, it was hard to tell what anyone was actually saying but I guess that's a good sign.

Izaac will play left wing in place of AJ; he trained there today.

Expect Pete to be in the 17 as he did half the session at hooker so we could see a split dummy half role between he and Cooky.

Keppie will take over Shaq's position.

Otherwise, it looks to be the same side as last week.

Cody looked pretty sharp in this session, he threw some great balls to Wighton and it looks like their combination is starting to gel.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie Wighton for the first time and we had a good chat. What a guy, such a great bloke. He recognised my Kiwi accent, asked where I was from, and he actually remembers New Plymouth, my hometown, because he played there against the Warriors in 2016. That was pretty cool.

All in all, it was a pretty good session, great to watch.

This was the first time I've been to a training session that wasn't a captains run so it was really cool to see them do a full session. They did a full opposed session, basically playing a game with full contact. However, it was scenario based, the coaches would get them to start at one point of the field and they went from there. They'd do this for an eight-minute period, then have a break and come together for a debrief, they did this about 6 times throughout the session.

I must say, it all looked pretty good to me. The physicality was pretty up there, they really ripped into each other, and it was an intense session. I was impressed with the energy on show and there was that much chat out there, it was hard to tell what anyone was actually saying but I guess that's a good sign.

Expect Pete to be in the 17 as he did half the session at hooker so we could see a split dummy half role between he and Cooky.

Cody looked pretty sharp in this session, he threw some great balls to Wighton and it looks like their combination is starting to gel.

I had the pleasure of meeting Jackie Wighton for the first time and we had a good chat. What a guy, such a great bloke. He recognised my Kiwi accent, asked where I was from, and he actually remembers New Plymouth, my hometown, because he played there against the Warriors in 2016. That was pretty cool.

Are you sure Pete wasn't just lightening the training load on Cook ? He had another massive tackle count against the Bulldogs.

Last edited:

@Callmack1 maybe Damien loads just being managed? Given he’s been carrying some niggles?

So glad you got to meet Jack

This weeks mission-

Complete your sets

Get a good kick in.

Don't give away penalties or set re starts.

Get in position correctly when we are defending.

Be patient, our chance will come.

Don't do anything stupid 5 mins before half time and the rest will follow.
Good luck with the last one.

Are you sure Pete wasn't just lightening the training load on Cook ? He had another massive tackle count against the Bulldogs.
Mmmmm you could be right mate. I was a little confused because all of Cheeks, Tallis, Davvy and Keppie trained with the side as well as Pete. Five doesn't go into four on the bench so I don't know.

Cooky was still doing the entirety of stuff with the B side when he switched there too so it didn't really look like they were trying to lessen his load to me.

What’s doing with Havili? He wasn’t in the injury report. Would have assumed he’d be ahead of Keppie? He was good in the opening 20 of Cup last week. Meanwhile, Keppie looked like a NSW Cup player in contrast.

Jye has been playing against bigger guys all his career most probs.

Saying he needs a few more weeks to play against bigger guys doesn't make much sense, he has been quite dominet in NSW cup and is obviously a class above that grade.

The thing that will be a big change for him is the speed of the game in the NRL compared to lower grades.

NRL a lot faster pace, that is the thing he needs to step up to next.

Not much else he can learn in NSW cup, other than combos with NSW cup side.

Jye has been playing against bigger guys all his career most probs.

Saying he needs a few more weeks to play against bigger guys doesn't make much sense, he has been quite dominet in NSW cup and is obviously a class above that grade.

The thing that will be a big change for him is the speed of the game in the NRL compared to lower grades.

NRL a lot faster pace, that is the thing he needs to step up to next.

Not much else he can learn in NSW cup, other than combos with NSW cup side.
I take your point, but prior to 3 weeks ago, he’d never played in an open age group competition.

It’s not that in a few weeks he’s going to overcome any potential size stuff, I agree, he would have been dealing with that to an extent in juniors.

But development is development. The same people wanting him in the side last week, will complain that he has shortcomings in his game 10 weeks in and will blame the player, the coaching staff, and anyone else they can think of.

I agree with the sentiment he could play this week. Whilst also appreciating that there are pros to letting him spend some time in NSW Cup, and in a perfect world, debut in a side that has some confidence and who‘a season is on an upward tick.

Either way, he’s not going to be out of first grade much longer if he keeps it up.

Considering how thin we are in the centres/wings, I wouldn’t be moving Thompson.

If we’re going to manufacture a prop, Koloamatangi would be my target. Though we’re thin their too.

If he not getting picked to play there, no harm in giving him a shot there.

But news is he is meant to be picked.

I take your point, but prior to 3 weeks ago, he’d never played in an open age group competition.

It’s not that in a few weeks he’s going to overcome any potential size stuff, I agree, he would have been dealing with that to an extent in juniors.

But development is development. The same people wanting him in the side last week, will complain that he has shortcomings in his game 10 weeks in and will blame the player, the coaching staff, and anyone else they can think of.

I agree with the sentiment he could play this week. Whilst also appreciating that there are pros to letting him spend some time in NSW Cup, and in a perfect world, debut in a side that has some confidence and who‘a season is on an upward tick.

Either way, he’s not going to be out of first grade much longer if he keeps it up.

Anyone blaming a rookie player is an idiot.

Especially after one game, like Munro, you have to expect some rocks and diamonds.

Some didn't want Munro back in the team but his positives to the side out weighed the negatives.

Team named, Issac in, keppie in

Jye on extended bench, as is kenner for those who asked where he is

The best example being Buddy Gordon.

10 games in we thought we had a NSW Origin centre in waiting. Then, abyss…
And if you speak to Buddy about this (and I have) I think he thought was an origin centre in the making too, and forgot to do the work.

Or to put it another way he believed his own press and everything would be handed to him.

Then off field distractions got in the way too.

I’m not saying Jye will be the same in any way.

Just saying that part of a player’s development is working on their maturity and embedding in them an understanding that greatness is earnt, not given. That all of the super stars of the game have 1 common characteristic, an unbelievable work ethic.

I think Jye will be a hit in the NRL, and being patient now will pay dividends for us down the track.

What’s doing with Havili? He wasn’t in the injury report. Would have assumed he’d be ahead of Keppie? He was good in the opening 20 of Cup last week. Meanwhile, Keppie looked like a NSW Cup player in contrast.
He came off hurt against the Dogs. Looked like a knee problem.

Was to be 18th for NRL, but was then replaced with Lachie.

Latest posts

Back