• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 5: Rabbitohs v Warriors

That's assuming they can catch him.
Anyway I know that I am talking the improbable so we'll just stick to the same old and see if this current squad of first graders can turn it around.

It’s not about ‘too small’.

He’s going to be a small payer in the NRL. That’s just a reality. There’s some technique and positioning stuff he’ll need to refine to be successful (countering his weakness and emphasising he strengths - speed, evasiveness, strength to size ratio and low centre of gravity, footy head). He’s doing that well at the NSW Cup level in his first 3 games.

He’s also playing a new position (that he’s taken to well and I applaud the club for making the less obvious decision of shifting him to fullback - at least for now). Again, he’s killing it, but there are nuances that he deserves the space to bed down before throwing him into an underperforming NRL side.

The club is doing well in crafting a way towards his debut, but not discounting his development in order to get a quick result (that likely doesn’t pan out as well over the long term).

Exactly AND to many, it’s not about turning the team around it’s just axe grinding.
I want to Dump Cody….oh, lets get Gray in😆
I want to Dump or move Latrell from FB, …..oh, let’s get Gray in😆
Illias isn’t any good….oh let’s get Gray in😆
I reckon JD can’t coach…the proof is he won’t get Gray in😆

Exactly AND to many, it’s not about turning the team around it’s just axe grinding.
I think that you’re onto something.

I think you're right. I was thinking more of the last 3 or 4 years. We've seemed reluctant to debut young talent. Munro was a surprise in that respect. . . Just a feeling I had when I see other teams with 18 year old centres and 19 year old 5/8s . . .
I do agree with you in that it's rare for us to debut a young player (teen) in recent times. It was nice to think back though.

Considering how thin we are in the centres/wings, I wouldn’t be moving Thompson.

If we’re going to manufacture a prop, Koloamatangi would be my target. Though we’re thin their too.

Most the rain will be gone by game day, think most of it will hit friday

Absolute rubbish.

No one has supported JD more than me, I still do, and I don't want him sacked, and I hope he leads us to the Grand Final.

No axe grinding at all.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision he makes.

My opinion is Gray is ready and he should be in first grade.
If JD disagrees, so what?

I'm entitled to an opinion.

Absolute rubbish.

No one has supported JD more than me, I still do, and I don't want him sacked, and I hope he leads us to the Grand Final.

No axe grinding at all.

That doesn't mean I have to agree with every decision he makes.

My opinion is Gray is ready and he should be in first grade.
If JD disagrees, so what?

I'm entitled to an opinion.
And as someone who’s happy to wait, I agree, there’s every chance if you threw him in first grade this week he’d do well. And despite my patience, there are no sure things. He could debut this week and kill it. He could debut in 6 months and get manhandled. Can only trust the coaching staff to get it right. And then we can judge them on the result. :)

All this talk of Gray. Yes, certainly he's a talent, but I'm sure the same rumblings were coming out about Taaffe and how did that turn out ? He'll get his chance, whether or not he lives up to expectations is anyone's guess. The Tigers young 5/8 has looked impressive in some aspects of his game , but he's certainly no Wally Lewis and he'll be scrutinized more in opposing team's gameplans. Will he keep it up, again anyone's guess. Burton is another that started out as a superstar in everyone's minds , but has come back to the pack.

All this talk of Gray. Yes, certainly he's a talent, but I'm sure the same rumblings were coming out about Taaffe and how did that turn out ? He'll get his chance, whether or not he lives up to expectations is anyone's guess. The Tigers young 5/8 has looked impressive in some aspects of his game , but he's certainly no Wally Lewis and he'll be scrutinized more in opposing team's gameplans. Will he keep it up, again anyone's guess. Burton is another that started out as a superstar in everyone's minds , but has come back to the pack.
I get what you’re getting at. But Taafe was never this guy. Ever. He was man of the match in a Flegg final where he was first and foremost enthusiastic and on the ball.

Agree re: its easier for a teen to star in a game or two, harder to do it for 10+, especially once teams do their homework.

The best example being Buddy Gordon.

10 games in we thought we had a NSW Origin centre in waiting. Then, abyss…

Bringing players in and developing them is certainly a fine art.

And you probably can’t judge it until further down the track.

Last edited:
I think the timing is wrong for Jye based on the overall teams performance - it’s hard enough for a young guy to debut let alone debut in an environment where there is so much “outside noise” going on.
Is Jye expected to save the season ?
Is Jye expected to save JD?
Is Jye going to replace LM/Cody?

I get what you’re getting at. But Taafe was never this guy. Ever. He was man of the match in a Flegg final where he was first and foremost enthusiastic and on the ball.

Agree re: its easier for a teen to star in a game or two, harder to do it for 10+, especially once teams do their homework.

The best example being Buddy Gordon.

10 games in we thought we had a NSW Origin centre in waiting. Then, abyss…

Bringing players in and developing them is certainly a fine art.

And you probably can’t judge it until further down the track.
to be fair there were a few other factors going on for Buddy

there is no magic age .....if a player is ready with a mature outlook at a younger age then let him play .

plenty of examples of young players who adapted when given chance and kicked on and plenty who did not handle it even after immediate success.

Latest posts

Back