• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 5: Rabbitohs v Warriors

Gray is the type of player I’m guessing they want to keep up once he’s promoted.

It’s not so much about ‘can’t’, it’s ‘when is he best placed to debut so that the transition is positive and he hits the ground running’.

He missed most of last year and from memory, I’m not sure he played a lot of the season prior?

If he was the size of Galvin, perhaps they would have been more bullish on throwing him in the fire.

As is, he’s going good against men in reserve grade. I’m confident he isn’t far off firsts if he keeps it up. A couple more performances like against the Roosters and he’ll get his chance (and be better equipped for the occasion having got some runs under his belt in open age footy).

In his 3 NSW Cup games to date:

3 Tries
2 Try Assists
7 Line Breaks
21 Tackle Breaks
185 Average Run Metres
54 Average Post Contact Metres
1 Forced Dropout
very impressive stats

RABBITOHS v WARRIORS

Saturday, 3pm, Accor Stadium, Sydney

Rabbitohs:
Alex Johnston is set to miss around six weeks with a hamstring injury.

Either Izaac Thompson or Jacob Gagai are likely to replace him on the wing.

Shaq Mitchell is likely to miss the Warriors clash due to a concussion.

Warriors: Taine Tuaupiki is due back from a concussion, while Charnze Nicoll- Klokstad is also likely to return from a hamstring injury.

This is likely to see Nicoll-Klokstad play fullback, and Tuaupiki in NSW Cup, with Roger Tuiva-Sheck returning to centre in place of Adam Pompey.

Luke Metcalf suffered a potential leg fracture and is likely to miss an extended period, with Chanel Harris-Tavita likely to edge Te Maire Martin for the five-eighth role.

Dylan Walker is a strong chance to return on the bench from an ankle injury.

If he was the size of Galvin, perhaps they would have been more bullish on throwing him in the fire.
The size of Galvin? He's a beanpole, he's 6 foot three and 85kgs.

If Gray is too small now, he'll be too small in 12 months time.

Holding him back a few weeks is not going to make him taller and heavier.

If they are worried about his size, then cut him loose, no point extending someone if they think he is too small,

If people think that Jye Gray is too small then think again.

Some of the 'smallest' players over the years have had great careers ie

Tommy R
Stevie M
Billy S
Peter S
Clive C

Jye is quick and comes across as a smart footballer.
As long as his forwards look after him he's more than capable of looking after himself.

We just need a coach that has the balls to give him a go.

Yes...it's fairly obvious that the issue the club has in elevating Gray to first grade is his size and the fact that he has missed a fair bit of footy because of injury. They want to make sure that his body is up to it.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I reckon the criticism of the club for not promoting players from below is overdone. Gray is the only player in that grade who looks like he deserves a debut. Mamo, Ilias and Gray are the only genuine first graders in that side.
I think he had a hamstring injury, so his size doesn't really come into it.

He has played 3 games against men.

It’s not about balls, or the lack thereof.

It’s not about height, of the lack thereof.

It’s about giving someone, who missed a chunk of football last year - and had only played against people his own age before that - an opportunity to develop his game, get used to the heavier collisions when playing men and get the confidence that he can make that next step.

I have no doubt he’ll make the next step with aplomb, but rushing him is in no one’s best interests, particularly Jye.

He has played 3 games against men.

It’s not about balls, or the lack thereof.

It’s not about height, of the lack thereof.

It’s about giving someone, who missed a chunk of football last year - and had only played against people his own age before that - an opportunity to develop his game, get used to the heavier collisions when playing men and get the confidence that he can make that next step.

I have no doubt he’ll make the next step with aplomb, but rushing him is in no one’s best interests, particularly Jye.
This 100%.
People bagging JD for not elevating him right now are just grinding the personal axe even more.
Just give the lad a little bit of time getting used to the big boy collisions and pace first.

If we can maintain high completion rate, our confidence will grow and we can salvage this season.

Way to many handovers over the last 12 months.

As Terry Venables said to a reporter back in the early 2000's 'if your good enough your old enough'.

That was in reference to an 18yr old Harry Kewell who was making his debut for the Socceroos in a World Cup qualifier in Melbourne.

Jye Gray is good enough.

JD has to start developing and backing some of his young players and in this case swap an aging 34 or 35 yr old with a young energetic and enthusiastic player.

And while he's at it he needs to forget about Havili and start blooding Peter Mamozelos into first grade as well.

It's as simple as that.

If people think that Jye Gray is too small then think again.

Some of the 'smallest' players over the years have had great careers ie

Tommy R
Stevie M
Billy S
Peter S
Clive C

Jye is quick and comes across as a smart footballer.
As long as his forwards look after him he's more than capable of looking after himself.

We just need a coach that has the balls to give him a go.
With all due respect, it's 2024.... the majority of wingers now are bigger than props of 50 years ago.

John O'Neill was considered an absolute giant of his time (190cm and 104kgs)... that's about the same as Izaac Thompson.

Jye will have to contend with more contact against a lot bigger men now.

It’s not about ‘too small’.

He’s going to be a small payer in the NRL. That’s just a reality. There’s some technique and positioning stuff he’ll need to refine to be successful (countering his weakness and emphasising he strengths - speed, evasiveness, strength to size ratio and low centre of gravity, footy head). He’s doing that well at the NSW Cup level in his first 3 games.

He’s also playing a new position (that he’s taken to well and I applaud the club for making the less obvious decision of shifting him to fullback - at least for now). Again, he’s killing it, but there are nuances that he deserves the space to bed down before throwing him into an underperforming NRL side. Organsing the defensive line, where to be positioned, how to ensure he’s effective on kick returns, etc. Again, he’s passing with flying colours.

The club is doing well in crafting a way towards his debut, but not discounting his development in order to get a quick result (that likely doesn’t pan out as well over the long term).

I have zero doubt Lachlan Ilias would have benefitted greatly from 6-12 months on NSW Cup prior to debuting. We’re paying for that now.

On the Galvin comment, he’s a big frame for an NRL half.

Whether Jye debuts this week, in a month, or in 6 months, he’ll be better for the time he’s spent in NSW Cup.

Jed off the Warren said Thompson was training left wing this morning.

As I predicted. Especially with how wet it’ll be too we need a big body doing the shit work out of trouble.

I have zero doubt Lachlan Ilias would have benefitted greatly from 6-12 months on NSW Cup prior to debuting. We’re paying for that now.
Without rehashing the past, that was always the plan, but unfortunately didn't pan out. 100% he would be a better player if he were able to spend that year in Reggies.

T'is what it is now

I’m grateful for the rain. Warriors have a great offloading game which we would struggle to handle in dry conditions. In the rain they should be forced to put the offloads away.

Our handling is by no means good but I think the rain will force players to focus on holding the ball and it will take away one of the Warriors biggest weapons so I think it levels the field a little

With all due respect, it's 2024.... the majority of wingers now are bigger than props of 50 years ago.

John O'Neill was considered an absolute giant of his time (190cm and 104kgs)... that's about the same as Izaac Thompson.

Jye will have to contend with more contact against a lot bigger men now.
That's assuming they can catch him.

Latest posts

Back