• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Peter Mamouzelos

Common sense Perce!
I have always thought we just haven’t utilised Cookie real talent…..his speed!
yeah for sure, and he's been looking a lot better not having the full time pressure of hooking and has been making some good runs too. A great thing coaching to your players strengths hey

As strange as it sounds less is more in the case of Cook. He definitely benefits from playing reduced minutes in the middle, his attacking game out of dh in particular. He’s of more value playing 60 minutes than 80 where he tackles himself to a standstill. Mamo taking on that sharing role at 9 is working well and I can see why the 2 hooker rotation is gaining in popularity.

I am not in the "Cook is shite" camp however, I really like the way Hornby is using Mamo and he has impressed me. Previously my opinion of Mamo was good reggie fringe NRL hooker but over the last few weeks my opinion of him is changing. As mentioned his service to the forwards is slick, his defence is solid. Also having Cook play the utility roll is great as in the main he can utilise his running and defensive skill in most positions. I suppose the more I watch the current use of Mamo the more I like it.
I've been a fan of Mamo for a long time, but I'm normally a terrible judge. But you make a good point regarding Cook. I've probably always thought it was an either/or thing. But why does it have to be?
Cook as a utility, number 14, first picked on the bench. There's a lot worse.

I've been a fan of Mamo for a long time, but I'm normally a terrible judge. But you make a good point regarding Cook. I've probably always thought it was an either/or thing. But why does it have to be?
Cook as a utility, number 14, first picked on the bench. There's a lot worse.
I've never been a fan of carrying an extra 9 on the bench. I'd rather they play the 80 mins and use the bench spot for a big forward. I liked Havili on the bench because he can play front row and 9. If Cook can also play in the back line then there is our utility and backup 9. It would probably only be 1 off-season for him to get accustomed to the backline positions. He certainly has the speed and fitness for this position.

As strange as it sounds less is more in the case of Cook. He definitely benefits from playing reduced minutes in the middle, his attacking game out of dh in particular.
It’s mainly benefited of late due to playing bottom 4 teams

Every year it’s the same. The Cook fan club are quite, then he suddenly has a blinder against a bottom of the ladder team. They suddenly find their voice again, until we play a top 4 side in which he’s found out again

Wayne knows he’s not nearly worth the money we are paying him

In all the time he has been with Souths we have never utilised his explosive speed.Pita
Cook was a small winger in the grades who became a manufactured NRL hooker. If he was coming through the grades now he would possibly become a fullback in the Wash ilk.

I am glad that it will be Waynes choice. Mama is too slight in build IMO to be more than a road bump with a forward running straight at him, he will and has been exposed. He tackled responsibly well in cover.

I think there is a decent enough player there. Will be interesting to see what an offseason under Wayne can do. One thing though is that we can’t see him being an 80 minute hooker, which means next year we will need someone on the bench to come on if Pete is to be the starting hooker. What does that potentially mean for someone like Jye Gray who many see as our 14?

I think there is a decent enough player there. Will be interesting to see what an offseason under Wayne can do. One thing though is that we can’t see him being an 80 minute hooker, which means next year we will need someone on the bench to come on if Pete is to be the starting hooker. What does that potentially mean for someone like Jye Gray who many see as our 14?
You can get creative with a 20 minute middle who plays hooker.

You‘ve already got a situation where you have a few too many guys with ball skills competing for time in the backrow.

Upskill someone like Murray or Duncan. Or
Have a spine member spend 20 minutes at hooker and flex your attack with Gray coming on into the spine?

Where there’s a will there’s a way.

That’s not mentioning Havili (who yes, did have a poor game or 2 at 9 when given the opportunity this year).

Knights got Phoenix Crossland playing good as a bench 9 last year.

I am glad that it will be Waynes choice. Mama is too slight in build IMO to be more than a road bump with a forward running straight at him, he will and has been exposed. He tackled responsibly well in cover.
Slightly built?

Cook:-
180 cm tall
Weight 88 Kg
Age 33

Mamo
178 cm Tall
Weight 85Kg
Age 23

Compared to current Australian Hooker harry Grant:-
177cm tall
Weight 87Kg
Age 26

or current NSW SOO hooker Reece Robson:-
180cm tall
Weight 93Kg
Age 26

or Api:-
172cm Tall
Weight: 88 kg
Age 31

Bully
175cm tall
Weight 93 KG
Retired.

Not much difference in the build of any of those blokes.

I'll stick to my guns here. Like when a lot of people were putting sh*t on Moale and I was saying he's an out-and-out starter, a workhorse, dangerous from 10m out, only 21 and going great... now look at him.

Mamouzelos has had the apprenticeship that Ilias missed out on. A completely different scenario. He won a Flegg GF in 2019, a NSW cup GF in 2023, has trained full time with the NRL squad for 3-4 seasons and will have had over 25 NRL games under his belt before he takes over the role.

He has shown everything you would want out of a dummy half in the lower grades. He has quick service off the ground. He reads numbers well. He brings forwards onto the ball, is deceptive around the ruck, and doesn't overplay his hand. He is solid defensively.

He won't cost much, freeing up cash for us to fill in areas where we have greater weaknesses.

The moment we are officially out of finals contention he should be starting at 9 with Cook off the bench for the remainder of 2024.

In 2025 he will take over the role (be it full time or not) under the GOAT coach... and if he can't take that final step up, Wayne will sort it out. One way or another.

Latest posts

Back