• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Our Elimination Number Is… We’ve Still Got A Loss Up Our Sleeve

Still holding at 2 more losses before our season is officially caput.

10 wins from our final 12 and Hornby makes the finals as a caretaker coach.
Love the optimism. I actually think the bar will be lower to make the 8. Too many average teams taking wins off each other. So it will likely come down to for and against- of which ours is rubbish.

At this stage no chance of finals, but a win against broncos and against manly (origin players out) followed by beating parra (who will be much better as moses and gutho probably there). I’d actually be starting to think oh shit maybe we have a slim chance (especially players coming back)

But I wake up and in reality winning 50% of our games is probably more realistic.

Well, I've never been one for maths.
I'd be saying to the team that if they want to make the Semi's there's only one way to get there and that is that they have to earn it.
Every minute of every game.
If they can find that type of commitment, they just may surprise everyone including me.
Is it possible?
Yea, it is
Is it probable?
Well, that's up to them.

Trouble with all this is we have several really hard game beginning with this Friday against the Broncos although I do believe this week's game is very doable.

However we have the Sharks away at Shark Park, Melbourne at home Penrith at Penrith and then these human filth in the last round at home.

5 really tough games, how many of those cam we realistically win?

Had we had beaten the Cows z few weeks ago like we could have or beaten Manly in the 1st round like we should have then I reckon we might be a slim chance, but jeez we have set ourselves a very steep mountain to climb.

I'm happy just to win a few games and get as far from the bottom of the table as possible.

But I admit I do fantasise about a run but that's all it is.

This has got to be one of the most winnable comps in years and had we been at full strength for the first half of it I'd say we could have been sitting here now as near on favourites. I'm not counting out a top 8 finish. More injuries to key players in the teams we're meeting could make a huge difference to the outcomes. Dare to dream and throw a sly 10'er that you would have wasted on something else on them to win it now with massive odds at present. Go on I dare you …;):cool:

2 recent wins against the sides coming 14 and 15.

So I get it, no one should be getting carried away.

But considering the extreme lack of joy to date this season, I don’t begrudge any ‘what if’ thinking.

At some point (probably soon) we’ll lose the ability to even consider a ‘what if’ proposition.

But until we lose another game, milk the enjoyment for all its worth. :)

If we can win our next 6 without a loss, then yeah, 100% you can maybe dream about finishing your year 4 from your final 6 to make the play offs.

But winning 6 in a row against Broncos, Sea Eagles, Eels, Dolphins, Tigers and Raiders is easier said than done.

2 recent wins against the sides coming 14 and 15.

So I get it, no one should be getting carried away.

But considering the extreme lack of joy to date this season, I don’t begrudge any ‘what if’ thinking.

At some point (probably soon) we’ll lose the ability to even consider a ‘what if’ proposition.

But until we lose another game, milk the enjoyment for all its worth. :)

If we can win our next 6 without a loss, then yeah, 100% you can maybe dream about finishing your year 4 from your final 6 to make the play offs.

But winning 6 in a row against Broncos, Sea Eagles, Eels, Dolphins, Tigers and Raiders is easier said than done.
And then you can dream of having a near full strength side coming into the finals. As I said before this is as weak a competition as we've seen in quite a few years. Penrith are not the powerhouse they've been and the others are just making up the numbers.

I still have it as 3 after doing the predictor on Sunday

Manly
Bye
Eels
Dolphin's
Tigers
Raiders
Sharks
Storm
Tigers
Knights
Panthers
Roosters

Should be 6 wins plus a bye in that. Another 3 maybes and 2 no hopes.

Would be a kick to win our next 4.

That at least means you go into the final 6 weeks of the competition with an outside chance of doing something special with 2 losses still up your sleeve.

First up, the Sea Eagles at Accor (likely sans Mitchell and Murray - and hopefully DCE, Jurbo and Olakau'atu).

Crazy we still have the second worst for and against in the comp even after the last couple of weeks.

Last edited:
I find the title of this thread a bit depressing. :(

Southy...this is the old reverse psychology at work.

Recall the jinxed thread from last year something about Top 2 or somesuch...the wheels fell off and it became a nightmare thread.

Hopefully, the doomsday clock's battery goes flat and stops ticking :cool:

Back