• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

I see there is a video from Gus ans the title suggests be is not happy hiw souths are treating JD.

Maybe we should ask Cleary, Barrett and Griffiths if he treated them nicely.

Wonder what he would do if a coach took a team from top four to last.
Or…and hear me out here.

Maybe Gould is thinking that Souths woes are the gift that keeps on giving for his club.

The Bulldogs have been perennial underachievers and our woes are keeping the spotlight off Ciraldo.

So he wants to keep that spotlight firmly focused on us.

The one time I’ve seen Cody play on the ball was early days post Adam leaving (perhaps the Shield?). Trailed the play, touched the ball 2-3 times in the set. It was lovely.

Mitchell is at his best handling the ball 6-7 times a half and in short burst heavy collisions. Powerful defender too.

Gray is an energizer bunny, he’ll get found out in the line. He’s evasive.

Wighton runs hard, tackles hard and can play any position on the field.

1 Gray
3 Wighton
6 Mitchell
7 Walker
I hope I’m wrong but I except Gray to start to get exposed at fullback soon.

I agree with the eventual transition of Trell to 6, but right now he’s still the best fullback at the club

Gray was actually caught out of position a couple of times defending our line, yet posters are choosing to ignore it.

He’s a half every day of the week

Or…and hear me out here.

Maybe Gould is thinking that Souths woes are the gift that keeps on giving for his club.

The Bulldogs have been perennial underachievers and our woes are keeping the spotlight off Ciraldo.

So he wants to keep that spotlight firmly focused on us.
Yep, this. There are a few clubs who are thanking the heavens we are so crap right now.

I hope I’m wrong but I except Gray to start to get exposed at fullback soon.

I agree with the eventual transition of Trell to 6, but right now he’s still the best fullback at the club

Gray was actually caught out of position a couple of times defending our line, yet posters are choosing to ignore it.

He’s a half every day of the week
The only glaring one caught out defending in the line was when Wighton went to fullback and Trindall kicked behind for Mulitalo to score. I thought Gray did very well, and his speed will cover any deficiencies as he keeps learning his craft.

As I understand it, Gray has never played fullback prior to this off season / now 6 or so games.
I think it's a good move. I don't think he'll ever be big enough to handle 20+ tackles a match in the NRL.

As I understand it, Gray has never played fullback prior to this off season / now 6 or so games.
He played fullback for QLD schoolboys I believe.

But most his football has been at half or 5/8.

He played 5/8 all year in our ball side last year and largely ran that side when he wasn’t injured

The only glaring one caught out defending in the line was when Wighton went to fullback and Trindall kicked behind for Mulitalo to score. I thought Gray did very well, and his speed will cover any deficiencies as he keeps learning his craft.
I agree with this.

We had so many positional changes on the weekend it was hard to keep track, but I thought his positional play was pretty good, particularly for his first game in the top grade (outside the St Merge trial).

I think Wighton demostrated that he ain't a fullback when he played there on the weekend, and I think his best position is left centre - he has a few defensive deficiencies that got found out.

My biggest issue with Jye was that he didn't handle the big hit too well. Harsh I know. But he got caught by a legal bell ringer and the whiplash meant he had to go for a HIA...hopefully he learns that he needs to manage his line engagements to not get that exposed again.

Anyway we'll see against Melbourne how he goes.

He played fullback for QLD schoolboys I believe.

But most his football has been at half or 5/8.

He played 5/8 all year in our ball side last year and largely ran that side when he wasn’t injured
He was injured for half a short season wasn’t he? Not like he played 20odd rounds.

I think it's a good move. I don't think he'll ever be big enough to handle 20+ tackles a match in the NRL.
Depends on how you define big.

He’s the same weight as Sam Walker and I’d bet his strength metrics are probably better

He doesn’t have to make 20+ tackles a game at half if you hide him right at times and have a strong defensive edge protecting him by working hard on the inside

I don’t ever think he will be in the top 5 fullbacks in the game. However if developed right I can see it happening at half and that’s how we need to start looking at things.

And if the club don’t believe he will be elite in either position sign someone who is or who will be

He was injured for half a short season wasn’t he? Not like he played 20odd rounds.
The point is if he was a gun fullback he would of been playing fullback, Towns isn’t exactly a star, handy yes but will never play first grade

If you think Gray is going to solve our fullback issues long term I think many are going to be bitterly disappointed once again

And that’s not being pessimistic just realistic once more 😎

Depends on how you define big.

He’s the same weight as Sam Walker and I’d bet his strength metrics are probably better

He doesn’t have to make 20+ tackles a game at half if you hide him right at times and have a strong defensive edge protecting him by working hard on the inside

I don’t ever think he will be in the top 5 fullbacks in the game. However if developed right I can see it happening at half and that’s how we need to start looking at things.

And if the club don’t believe he will be elite in either position sign someone who is or who will be
I think you need to see more than 68 minutes of him in the NRL before you can make the assertion.

Ideally, he is up to physically and plays in the halves. But right now, he's too talented for NSW Cup and the best fit for him in the NRL is at fullback. If he shows he has the physicality for it, then you think about moving him into the halves.

It’s a fair question/debate. Is Jye charging the ball back 10-15 times a game into forwards ultimately going to potentially negatively impact him the same way defending in the line and tackling a big backrower 20 times a game would? No idea!

He played half a few times back when Reyno was out for a game and also when he went off injured. If we remember back there was that period where Adam was pretty average, refusing to engage the line with his running. He wasn’t playing direct
He would be good as a half if Hawko,doesn’t keep improving
PS he also played well at half!

Back