• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

I don't understand what is going on with Sanders.

Parramatta are not playing him in First Grade as a form of punishment for agreeing to play elsewhere...or that's what I thought was happening.

If the Raiders haven't signed him, we should be going after him as a top priority.
I think the situation you outlined was the last reported situation.

I can’t read that article about Furner
Is it saying he will be back as defensive coach?
If so, great!

South Sydney in talks with David Furner to help embattled coach Jason Demetriou​

Embattled coach Jason Demetriou has turned to David Furner for some much-needed experience to save South Sydney, with the former Rabbitohs assistant coach addressing the potential return to Redfern.

Brent Read and Michael Carayannis

South Sydney coach Jason Demetriou has turned to one of the most experienced coaches in the game to help save the Rabbitohs’ season and strengthen his grip on his job.

David Furner, who spent 2017 and 2018 as an assistant at Souths but was more recently on the coaching staff at Newcastle, Canterbury and Wests Tigers, was approached by Demetriou on Sunday night about coming back to the Rabbitohs to help with the forwards.

It is understood the pair held further talks on Monday and Tuesday and a formal agreement is expected to be finalised, cleaning the way for Furner to resume his coaching career at the embattled Rabbitohs.

“There is a bit to do,” Furner said.

“For me it is an easy move - I know a lot of the staff, I know the hierarchy. I’ll be working with the forwards around their defence and things like that.

“I am keen to help out. It is good to be back in the game.”

Souths have won only one game this season and Demetriou has been under increasing pressure to hold onto his job amid talk that seven-time premiership winner Wayne Bennett is being lined up for a return to the Rabbitohs.

Demetriou first reached out to Furner prior to Christmas about a potential return as part of the club’s coaching staff but those talks went cold.

With his job on the line, Demetriou picked up the phone and reached out again. Although he has been out of the NRL since leaving the Wests Tigers at the end of last season, Furner and Demetriou have a relationship that stretches back to their time in North Queensland, where Furner was on the coaching staff and Demetriou was emerging through the ranks.

“I knew him back then,” Furner said.

“That is where it has probably started from. I am not associated with anyone at the moment and he wanted that senior coach around him.”

There aren’t many coaches more senior than the 53-year-old Furner. As well as head coaching experience at Canberra and Leeds in the English Super League, Furner has been an assistant at North Queensland, Souths, Newcastle, Canterbury and the Tigers.

He was last at Souths in 2018 where he was an assistant to Michael Maguire and then Anthony Seibold.

However, he left after two years to take over at Leeds before returning to the NRL.

“My wife is very happy that I have work - that means I am not home,” Furner said.

“I am not annoying her.”

Yeah that speculation is fair.
The Roosters will be down to their last 42 backs when Manu leaves
Donkeys looking to resign Riki ahead of Staggs…..certainly not a move id be considering.

Last edited:

Happy to hear Trell, Cody and Cooky have done this. Commitment to the cause is a good place to start.

I

Happy to hear Trell, Cody and Cooky have done this. Commitment to the cause is a good place to start.

I want to see the indigenous jersey.
I’m still shattered I missed out on last years one. My fave so far

Holy crap. James Fisher-Harris signs with Warriors for 4 years.

That came out of nowhere. He was contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2026.

The Warriors are a serious footy club all of a sudden.

That came out of nowhere. He was contracted to the Panthers until the end of 2026.

How impressive to have no leaks from either side particularly given the calibre of player?

Remember when Dane Gagai signed with us out of nowhere? Those were the days...

It must have happened very quickly - if the Panthers knew this was coming, you'd think Terrell May would've gone to Penrith in a heartbeat, given how much he wants to play with his brothers.

I have a feeling the Warriors are about to go on a golden run.

What a signing!!

JFH epitomises what the top clubs get right but we get wrong.

Penrith signed him as an 18-year-old from New Zealand - he was not in their backyard.

Penrith know that from HM all the way to First Grade you have to have good forward packs. The best forwards have to be coming out of your pathways - they allow the spine in the lower grades to develop their game and then they become the backbone of first grade.

We have done the opposite - routinely field small, inadequate forward packs that cannot prevent the opposition from toweling them up.

Latest posts

Back