• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Manly Pride Debacle

The sad irony is that they are probably feeling what a lot of LGBTIQA+ people have felt for years - unsafe at the footy.

That is not rational. In fact, it’s ridiculous. Comments like that only serve to divide on the issues.
In fact, I find it insulting
I defy anyone to tell me that they have sat down at a football game and wondered what the sexuality of the person, sitting next to them, is
Ive conversed, cheered and cried with the 20 people in the surrounding seats where my season tickets are.

Not once, never ever has their sexuality crossed my mind.

i even hugged a total stranger after we won in 2014. I wasn’t thinking he was evil, gay or even thinking what he thought of me. I embraced a perfect stranger. Try it 👐

Last edited:
That is not rational. In fact, it’s ridiculous. Comments like that only serve to divide on the issues.
In fact, I find it insulting
I defy anyone to tell me that they have sat down at a football game and wondered what the sexuality of the person, sitting next to them, is
Ive conversed, cheered and cried with the 20 people in the surrounding seats where my season tickets are.

Not once, never ever has their sexuality crossed my mind.

i even hugged a total stranger after we won in 2014. I wasn’t thinking he was evil, gay or even thinking what he thought of me. I embraced a perfect stranger. Try it 👐
As I previously posted, the NRL's own statistics acknowledge that 42% of LGBTI people hide their sexuality or gender identity at "social & community events".

Just because you did something or you think something, doesn't mean everyone does or thinks the same, as has been pointed out ad nauseum in this thread and this entire week - just because you don't think about the people around you's sexuality doesn't mean that others don't.

We accept the fact that more work needs to be done to fully integrate, acknowledge, respect and include Indigenous people into the game - this is despite a decade or more of Indigenous Round and dozens of First Nations superstars, even before the league began making it a priority.

We accept the fact that more work needs to be done to fully integrate, acknowledge, respect and include women into the game - this is despite a decade or more of Women in League Round, a women's competition, female referees, zero tolerance towards violence against women (as evidenced by support of initiatives such as White Ribbon Australia), etc.

We even began acknowledging the diversity of the races, ethnicities and cultures of the game with Multicultural Round.

And yet, there is still racist language thrown around at Indigenous and Pasifika players, as well at other players, while women continue to come out and allege crimes, abuse and assaults by NRL players, and that's not even touching on other more general crimes such as the alleged stabbing incident involving Manase Fainu or situations such as Matt Lodge's one.

Why would we draw the line at someone's gender identity or sexuality not being as worthy of respect, tolerance and inclusion as race or indeed gender as we do with women? That is the key to this issue.

I can't remember who said it or where I heard it, but "people will draw the line of acceptance right below themselves" - we will generally accept from others what we do or say because we will refuse to accept that we, as people, do any harm or wrong to others.

Just because you aren't affected by an issue, or don't let that issue affect you or your perception of others, doesn't cancel out the fact that it may still affect others.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220726-234352.png
    Screenshot_20220726-234352.png
    553.3 KB · Views: 1
But thats the thing, calling somebody a homophobe insinuates some sort of illness, ive had friends that were gay, nice people, i just dont agree with their actions..
I made no mention of illness, nor did the definition I provided. I would have provided the Macquarie "Australian English" definition but that is a paid service.

Sorry buster, it’s not their bloody job to do that.
Parents, Friends, yes. Their bosses......no
Per the NRL's Inclusion framework, Pride in League document and the Code of Conduct which reinforces their commitment to inclusion, yes it is - they have accepted that role by implementing such measures and seem to have done so willfully.

But thats the thing, calling somebody a homophobe insinuates some sort of illness, ive had friends that were gay, nice people, i just dont agree with their actions..
What does that even mean “I don’t agree with their actions?” That statement is the very definition of intolerance. Recognise you have no right to pass judgement and agree or disagree with someone’s lawful right to choose who they love and what they do and who they do it with.

All very well to say tolerance, but am i not entitled to what i think is a moral code?, same for beastiality , it goes against what i think is ok.
What does that even mean “I don’t agree with their actions?” That statement is the very definition of intolerance. Recognise you have no right to pass judgement and agree or disagree with someone’s lawful right to choose who they love and what they do and who they do it with.

All very well to say tolerance, but am i not entitled to what i think is a moral code?, same for beastiality , it goes against what i think is ok.
No incorrect - beastiality is illegal and the fact that you equate that with homosexuality and morality is a pretty sad reflection.
And yes by making up your “own moral code” and passing judgement on others is intolerant and is exactly the same thought process and argument used in the 1950 when people said things like “I’m ok with blacks as long they don’t mix with our kids…”

I dont equate it with homosexuality, i am just using it as an example, and are you not passing judgement on what i think is decent?, you like what you like and i will like what i like, i have known a few great gay people, ie loved a joke, but it doesnt mean i condone the behavior.

Should we invite George Pell and we can all give him a hug and tell him how sorry we are…….
I wasn't thinking of inviting any church leaders but I think our Lord Jesus might appreciate the gesture, afterall He loves us all. ;)

I dont equate it with homosexuality, i am just using it as an example, and are you not passing judgement on what i think is decent?, you like what you like and i will like what i like, i have known a few great gay people, ie loved a joke, but it doesnt mean i condone the behavior.
Again let me break this down for you
1) yes you are completely free to like who you want and sleep with who you want and do whatever you want, worship who you want (within the bounds of the law) and you should be completely free to do this without fear of judgement or prejudice.
2) by passing your judgment on others behaviours who should be entitled to enjoy the same freedoms as you do (point 1) then you are intolerant.

And I’m not passing judgement on you - you asked me a question “am I not entitled to what I think is moral code?” The short answer is no if that extends to judging other peoples lawful behaviour

I agree re: bestiality - the animal cannot legally consent and, unless science changes, cannot understand what would be happening and therefore most people would agree is being abused by any such actions.
No incorrect - beastiality is illegal and the fact that you equate that with homosexuality and morality is a pretty sad reflection.
And yes by making up your “own moral code” and passing judgement on others is intolerant and is exactly the same thought process and argument used in the 1950 when people said things like “I’m ok with blacks as long they don’t mix with our kids…”
What is illegal and legal is not always a marker of "wrong" and "right". It was legal to own slaves, segregate people by race, etc. and illegal (still in many countries, including apparently about 3/5ths of the countries represented at the upcoming Commonwealth Games) for men to have sex with other men, despite both men being able to consent to such action.
You can like what you like and dislike what you don't - what you shouldn't do is judge others for liking something you don't.

I don't like oranges - they taste disgusting to me. If someone wants to eat an orange near me, even if the smell makes me temporarily and mildly uncomfortable, it isn't my place to stop them from eating it. I could turn away or move away from it and let them eat their orange in peace. What's worse is if I slap it out of their hand or verbally abuse them for eating an orange. Now I'm using my prejudice (my dislike of oranges) to the detriment of someone else.

In just about every belief system with a "higher power" figure, generally that figure is the sole judge of morality. Yes, there is something to be said for their teachings being gospel and that some people believe they have a duty to enforce those teachings, but at the end of the day, only that higher power will judge me (if the system is to be believed*).

* will just once again clarify I am a Christian so please don't take this as me having a go at Christianity, this is my opinion and my view of a much more complex issue that, in my opinion, no human is capable of comprehending.

We all judge how people behave, every day, i dont hold anything against the gay community, although on the fringes there is some real weird ones, my wife is with QLD police and you hear of some real sickos, anyway label me as you like.
And I’m not passing judgement on you - you asked me a question “am I not entitled to what I think is moral code?” The short answer is no if that extends to judging other peoples lawful behaviour

Just curious, do the people with anti-Christian bias here take time off for Easter and Christmas?

I am not judging the people, like i said i dont condone the practice..
I agree re: bestiality - the animal cannot legally consent and, unless science changes, cannot understand what would be happening and therefore most people would agree is being abused by any such actions.

What is illegal and legal is not always a marker of "wrong" and "right". It was legal to own slaves, segregate people by race, etc. and illegal (still in many countries, including apparently about 3/5ths of the countries represented at the upcoming Commonwealth Games) for men to have sex with other men, despite both men being able to consent to such action.

You can like what you like and dislike what you don't - what you shouldn't do is judge others for liking something you don't.

I don't like oranges - they taste disgusting to me. If someone wants to eat an orange near me, even if the smell makes me temporarily and mildly uncomfortable, it isn't my place to stop them from eating it. I could turn away or move away from it and let them eat their orange in peace. What's worse is if I slap it out of their hand or verbally abuse them for eating an orange. Now I'm using my prejudice (my dislike of oranges) to the detriment of someone else.

In just about every belief system with a "higher power" figure, generally that figure is the sole judge of morality. Yes, there is something to be said for their teachings being gospel and that some people believe they have a duty to enforce those teachings, but at the end of the day, only that higher power will judge me (if the system is to be believed*).

* will just once again clarify I am a Christian so please don't take this as me having a go at Christianity, this is my opinion and my view of a much more complex issue that, in my opinion, no human is capable of comprehending.

Back