• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

Weird signing and i don't think Bennett had anything to do with it.

Wanting to extend cody for another 2 more seasons is a head scratcher.

I would wait and see how he performs next season before even entertaining the idea of re-signing him.
100%

The smarter move would be looking to transition Trell to 6 and using Cody’s money to sign a young gun fullback.

Wayne’s philosophy previously was ‘ better a year too early than a year too late’

Would be happy seeing Cody kept on the coaching staff to work with our halves from Matts to NRL on how to ball play

I do find it interesting that people (not just on this forum) are already writing Dodd off when most would have only watched him play anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 games of footy.

I do find it interesting that people (not just on this forum) are already writing Dodd off when most would have only watched him play anywhere from 5 minutes to 5 games of footy.
I’m not writing him off.

I’m just perplexed by signing a dominant left side player, when Cody ( when on the left ) was the least of our problems. Then we’ve heard Wayne saying he wants to extend Cody

I actually really like his kicking game. He’s going to have less time over here, but the kid can kick a ball

IMHO though he’s nothing like Cleary as previously referenced. I believe he’s a lot more like Mitchell Moses when he first came into grade

Great kicking and support play. Not much of a passing game. It’s why I’d love to see Cody help him develop one

My biggest issue isn’t his ability but rather how he aligns with our current roster.

If it comes out this is Cody’s last season and Trell is going to 6 then it starts making more sense

So what is the difference if Dodd was Wayne's call or not? He is still the same player with the same abilities and same potential isn't he?
I agree he's still the same player and will nevertheless be part of the team. My point is just that you would be more confidant if Wayne wanted him at the club but if it was a solely club call and Wayne doesn't end up being that keen on him and wants someone else in the 7 either Humphreys or Hastings that 600k is a big hit for our cap

Also not writing him off.

Yes I would have loved a more team friendly deal. But beggars can’t be choosers.

Simply questioning the fit.

From side of the field he’s accustomed to, to the fact he plays kind of like a running/kicking 5/8, when I think what we wanted was a bossy general?

But as Bruster has said many times, we don’t know the setup at St Helens.

Look at Adam Reynolds here compared to Adam Reynolds at the Broncos.

Some players play to the environment.

Perhaps Dodd will revel getting more opportunity to dish from the middle of the park and link with Cody and Trell. His support play will certainly play in that environment.

Perhaps they see Koloamatangi being his Sironen on an edge (without getting into arguments about Keaon being a middle).

He’s got bigger in goals to work with for his short kicking game which may also play up.

Fascinated to see which side he and Cody line up first field sessions this offseason.

The Benny Hill part of my brain sees them both running out to the left and the coaches pausing for a moment and scratching their heads. :)

I have watched Dodd play for a while and he checks a couple of boxes where we are lacking. If I were trying to grab a 7 from the ESL I would have tried to poach Mickey Lewis rather than Dodd. Not as good a kicking game as Dodd but a little better everywhere else. But the fact is we still have a good young half with plenty of ability and potential. This 23 year old is leaving his home to travel half way around the world to try his hand in the big game and play for us. Who knows what he can learn out here with Wayne. He deserves his shot and I think we should cut him a bit of slack.

But the fact is we still have a good young half with plenty of ability and potential. This 23 year old is leaving his home to travel half way around the world to try his hand in the big game and play for us. Who knows what he can learn out here with Wayne.

Spot on Bruster……It’s hilarious reading that Dodd or a Cody are pigeon hold as being both left sided only players. Absolute rubbish And they don’t have to play that way. WB didnt restrict Katoa to one side or Reynolds.
Clearly, Hughes, DCE, Sam Walker, Hynes and countless others all play both sides of the ruck💡💡💡

Walker wasn’t as effective on the right in some minds this season. Well, with Kennar, Milne, Thompson, Shibasaki, Gagai and a raft of inept edge forwards all who were incapable of reading the play, counting numbers, running a line, hitting a gap or, quite often, unable to catch a farkennn football……..what do you expect😆😆😆

Get a grip. WB will get us playing a style of football that suits our team and won’t be emotionally or tactically crippled by thinking he has 2 halves who, some think, need to be anchored to one side of the field😆😆

Spot on Bruster……It’s hilarious reading that Dodd or a Cody are pigeon hold as being both left sided only players. Absolute rubbish And they don’t have to play that way. WB didnt restrict Katoa to one side or Reynolds.
Clearly, Hughes, DCE, Sam Walker, Hynes and countless others all play both sides of the ruck💡💡💡

Walker wasn’t as effective on the right in some minds this season. Well, with Kennar, Milne, Thompson, Shibasaki, Gagai and a raft of inept edge forwards all who were incapable of reading the play, counting numbers, running a line, hitting a gap or, quite often, unable to catch a farkennn football……..what do you expect😆😆😆

Get a grip. WB will get us playing a style of football that suits our team and won’t be emotionally or tactically crippled by thinking he has 2 halves who, some think, need to be anchored to one side of the field😆😆

The thing people forget too is that they’re all full time now, they have 5 days a week to perfect a very simple game, im sure old Wayno will come up with some adequate combinations & work out the best way to use them

The thing people forget too is that they’re all full time now, they have 5 days a week to perfect a very simple game, im sure old Wayno will come up with some adequate combinations & work out the best way to use them
I agree with you guys on this. There is no reason a 6 or 7 can't play both sides. Passing can certainly be worked on and actually should have been worked on by their junior coaches, (not sure how this stands up in current times though). A step and kicking game would definitely be harder things to work on , but again nothing a player couldn't perfect by putting some good hours into.

the good teams have the balance right and my only concern as others have stated is that it’s added our third left footed kicker, doubling up on the left side, which wasn’t a problem to start with.

The good sides seem to balance their side naturally. I don’t want to be shoving a round peg in a square hole from the start.

I’m not writing him off.

I’m just perplexed by signing a dominant left side player, when Cody ( when on the left ) was the least of our problems. Then we’ve heard Wayne saying he wants to extend Cody

I actually really like his kicking game. He’s going to have less time over here, but the kid can kick a ball

IMHO though he’s nothing like Cleary as previously referenced. I believe he’s a lot more like Mitchell Moses when he first came into grade

Great kicking and support play. Not much of a passing game. It’s why I’d love to see Cody help him develop one

My biggest issue isn’t his ability but rather how he aligns with our current roster.

If it comes out this is Cody’s last season and Trell is going to 6 then it starts making more sense
From my viewpoint on this thread, I dont see anyone writing him off. On the contrary, most want him to succeed and have pointed out some of his many strong points. However concerns have been raised about ...
1. How his skill set fits into our present structures
2. How he will respond to the speed and demands of the nrl compared to ESL
3. How fully he has recovered from his serious injury
Surely these are all valid concerns and not merely a spiteful attitude to write him off. Again that is not what I am seeing.
As I have mentioned earlier, he shouldn't be a walk up start for 7, but I hope he proves to us that he is the man for the job.
Years ago. Halfback & 5/8 would combine together on both sides.
As someone else stated previously, the fixation with locking players in as LHS or RHS is a more recent phenomenon.
Injuries aside, look at how Adam Reynold's game morphed when he left a more rigid structure with Cody at SS to join Broncos.
He could turn out to be a real gun half and an inspirational signing???

I’m not writing him off I’m willing and excited to see how he goes the talk he’s got a good kicking game is a big positive.

Also aside from Dodd I’m not confident in Mamouzelos on what I’ve seen yet at this level but I’m willing to see how he goes having had a pre season under Wayne I’m hoping Pete will be able to step up to this level regularly.

I have watched Dodd play for a while and he checks a couple of boxes where we are lacking. If I were trying to grab a 7 from the ESL I would have tried to poach Mickey Lewis rather than Dodd. Not as good a kicking game as Dodd but a little better everywhere else. But the fact is we still have a good young half with plenty of ability and potential. This 23 year old is leaving his home to travel half way around the world to try his hand in the big game and play for us. Who knows what he can learn out here with Wayne. He deserves his shot and I think we should cut him a bit of slack.
Mickey Lewis is bog average

It’s another reason Willie getting Hull KR to the GF was such a great achievement

Mickey offers nothing but niggle

Mickey Lewis is bog average

It’s another reason Willie getting Hull KR to the GF was such a great achievement

Mickey offers nothing but niggle
That's a conclusive assessment. The fact is that we have Dodd at 7 and not Mickey Lewis, which is not secret, I am very satisfied with. I do like that we have looked at the ESL for potential. It would be good if we could broaden this to include the RU too, especially for wingers.

Latest posts

Back