• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Lewis Dodd

From the coach:

“With Lewis, he’s got a bit of an arm injury though, but he needs to get scanned. I think it may be some ligament-type damage, but we won’t really know any more until we get those medical assessments.”

——————-

Watching the replay, he played the first 60 minutes and already had his left arm strapped. It’s not really clear which incident in the game he did it.

Watching the 60 minutes he did play, he’s very much a 5th tackle half at St Helens. If he’s involved mid set it’s usually a dish off to an edge cutting back in. Handles their last play kicking and had some joy with a couple of (otherwise unremarkable) kicks causing trouble for the opposition (one, a try for the St Helens chaser).

Otherwise, most of the action for St Helens happened away from Dodd.

Once again, wish we could get our hands on Robertson the fullback and Burns the substitute hooker. Reminds me of a young Issac Luke or Brandon Smith.

St Helens run most of their attack on the right side from what I have seen, but for the last play option, they nearly always go left to Dodd for the kick. Probably just the coaching style of Paul Wellens. It works.

Just put Latrell and Cody in the halves and be done with it..

The more I remind myself that Cody is a left side player, and that Latrell has a good boot, the more I think we may end up at this point (even if it takes a while).

If Dodd is good enough he’ll find a spot or can replace Cody when he’s done. Kid’s still young.

It will obviously suck in the short term to have ~$1m tied up in 2 halves not playing grade if that happened. But depth and flexibility is also important and we should have some of that.

If we were to lose Walker, Wighton and Mitchell at any point, the fact you can still have Gray, Ilias and Dodd as a spine is pretty good.

Last edited:
The more I remind myself that Cody is a left side player, and that Latrell has a good boot, the more I think we may end up at this point (even if it takes a while).

If Dodd is good enough he’ll find a spot or can replace Cody when he’s done. Kid’s still young.

It will obviously suck in the short term to have ~$1m tied up in 2 halves not playing grade if that happened. But depth and flexibility is also important and we should have some of that.

If we were to lose Walker, Wighton and Mitchell at any point, the fact you can still have Gray, Ilias and Dodd as a spine is pretty good.
It's a moot point on the short term. There is no way Latrell plays any position other than FB in the next couple of years.

It's a moot point on the short term. There is no way Latrell plays any position other than FB in the next couple of years.

Why is that?

I get that’s a safe bet to start 2025, but past the first few rounds, I wouldn’t be as certain as you are about that outcome.

Do for you think Latrell will be moved from FB in the early rounds of 2025?

Do for you think Latrell will be moved from FB in the early rounds of 2025?

I think Wayne will try to assemble the best spine he can with the players he’s got. While it’s not the obvious plan (given our recruitment), if I needed to pick a 6 and 7 to play for my life (given what we have currently) I’d choose Walker/Mitchell.

Obviously there’s a whole bunch of nuance around the rest of the side and whether Dodd or Gray (or whoever) is the better 3rd player in the 1,6,7 portion of the spine. Ditto Humphreys if he gets considered as a half.

All I’m saying is, I wouldn’t rule out a less than obvious spine make up come a ways into the 2025 season, which includes the possibility of Mitchell as a 6 (and only really 1 or 6 IMO, I don’t think there’s a chance he gets moved out of the spine to centre).

We can’t move Latrell til we have a decent fullback option. If we’re competing with Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Edwards, Walsh, Papi and more we’re gonna need more than Gray at the back.

We can’t move Latrell til we have a decent fullback option. If we’re competing with Ponga, Teddy, Turbo, Edwards, Walsh, Papi and more we’re gonna need more than Gray at the back.

We need more than Gray is right this moment. His running game is already better than Latrell’s at the back. His positioning is probably on par. His passing, organisation of the defensive line and his physical presence is a ways behind. And Latrell is obviously the better player.

But whether by mid next year, Mitchell, Walker, Dodd is better than Gray, Mitchell, Walker, who knows?

I’m not convinced it definitely isn’t the answer at this point.

You can make the same argument about 7, if we’re going up against Hughes, Cleary, Reynolds, Walker and Hynes, etc you need a gun 7 yourself to make sure you’re in the game. If Walker is better than any of the other 7 options and your best prospect is a fullback, then I don’t think Mitchell to 6 is completely out of the question. Even if it’s unlikely.

All purely hypothetical at this stage obviously.

I think Wayne will try to assemble the best spine he can with the players he’s got. While it’s not the obvious plan (given our recruitment), if I needed to pick a 6 and 7 to play for my life (given what we have currently) I’d choose Walker/Mitchell.

Obviously there’s a whole bunch of nuance around the rest of the side and whether Dodd or Gray (or whoever) is the better 3rd player in the 1,6,7 portion of the spine. Ditto Humphreys if he gets considered as a half.

All I’m saying is, I wouldn’t rule out a less than obvious spine make up come a ways into the 2025 season, which includes the possibility of Mitchell as a 6 (and only really 1 or 6 IMO, I don’t think there’s a chance he gets moved out of the spine to centre).
Of all the things that will be discussed and speculated over in the coming months, Latrell playing FB is the one that I think is locked in. The reason you have quoted is that WB will want to assemble his best spine. That is Latrell at FB.

Dodd’s elbow ligament injury has a 4-6 week prognosis. So should be available for finals if they make it that far.

Believe St Helens play Warrington this weekend.

So Sam Burgess vs Lewis Dodd.

Lewis has obviously been injured of late, but they were tipping him to be back for finals or just before as a best case. Interesting to see if he’s named this week for what is a massive game for their top 4 chances (which TBF, is less of a big deal with their top 6 format).

Latest posts

Back