• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Latrell Mitchell

Hahahahhaha.

Seriously though, GI was the best winger in the world, and the best centre. Where did he win a comp for us? Where did he win a Clive Churchill medal?

Latrell would 100% dominate at centre. No doubt.

But for us to win a comp, he needs to be a top 5 fullback or 5/8. Something he is extremely capable of.
Totally agree.
Inglis played a couple of years at centre for us with the coach preferring Wesser and Farrel as FB. Go figure. I remember for the player he is Inglis didn't really get enough ball. In 2012 in the first couple of rounds the very few times he got the ball he was spectacular. So finally he was moved to FB, round 3 or 4 i think, he chimed in on both sides in attack, and the rest is history.
That is how I see the potential of Latrell.

Hahahahhaha.

Seriously though, GI was the best winger in the world, and the best centre. Where did he win a comp for us? Where did he win a Clive Churchill medal?

Latrell would 100% dominate at centre. No doubt.

But for us to win a comp, he needs to be a top 5 fullback or 5/8. Something he is extremely capable of.
I don’t care what anyone says Latrell was the best fullback in the comp at the backend of 21

Turbo was the only other to come close as to having such an impact on the outcome of the game.

Another issue I had with JD was his inability to protect players from themselves

He encouraged Trell to make big statements in the media. Wayne did the exact opposite he kept the pressure off him and just let him play footy

Totally agree.
Inglis played a couple of years at centre for us with the coach preferring Wesser and Farrel as FB. Go figure. I remember for the player he is Inglis didn't really get enough ball. In 2012 in the first couple of rounds the very few times he got the ball he was spectacular. So finally he was moved to FB, round 3 or 4 i think, he chimed in on both sides in attack, and the rest is history.
That is how I see the potential of Latrell.

He played one season at centre with us in 2011, then first two games as centre in 2012 but Madge was trying to get him match fit for fullback and started Farrell for 2 games

He played one season at centre with us in 2011, then first two games as centre in 2012 but Madge was trying to get him match fit for fullback and started Farrell for 2 games
That was from memory. You're correct inglis came in 2011 not 2010.

The penny has dropped with the lad
Great fullback performance. Couldn’t possibly assert himself on the game as he did from centre

I had to laugh during the week how all the talk was Latrell to centre because of his Origin performance. NSW can afford having him touch minimal times.

We saw in the Manly game how much we missed him and his presence. We don’t get the same value out of him playing in the centres.

I had to laugh during the week how all the talk was Latrell to centre because of his Origin performance. NSW can afford having him touch minimal times.

We saw in the Manly game how much we missed him and his presence. We don’t get the same value out of him playing in the centres.
Imagine if you'd made that statement at the start of the season on here....BOOM đź’Ł

Imagine if you'd made that statement at the start of the season on here....BOOM đź’Ł
I haven’t moved from Latrell being our best fullback. Have stated it a few times.

Latrell’s problem has never been ability. It’s about his headspace.

I agree.

But I could see a point (maybe even by the back end of this year) where Gray 1, Latrell 6 happens.

I’m not saying it will, or should. But it could.

Wighton is simply a ball runner. Let him roam from centre. His time at 6 will give him and the players around him the confidence to slip into that role at times. Which wasn’t the case to start the year.

Latrell is just as effective at 6, and is basically playing that role now as a kicker/second receiver.

Not saying Gray’s form warrants it right this second.

But it’s a move that could happen once he gets a few more parts of his game firing.

And that isn’t a slight on Latrell as a fullback in any way. Not at all. If he plays out the year there, and next year, and the year after that, great.

But while Mitchell is currently the best 1 in the club, this train of thought does kind of follow the Murray situation thinking.

Yes Murray is probably the best lock in the game, but at the moment rotating he and Kolo works for this team and what it needs.

We could see a situation in the near future (again, not this moment) where Trell 6, Gray 1, is best for the team.

Last edited:
I haven’t moved from Latrell being our best fullback. Have stated it a few times.

Latrell’s problem has never been ability. It’s about his headspace.
I wasn't referring to you . It was directed at plenty of others though.

I believe Latrell's best position is 6.

His second best position - for us - is fullback.

I firmly believe that within the next 18 months, it will be Latrell at 6, and Wighton either at left centre or left edge backrower.

Can't see Cody going on past next year.

I'm not 100% convinced with Jye at fullback, but with another season of development he could be the answer.

Back