• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Jack Wighton

I was feeling really good about 2025 (top 4). Now not so much.

There will be definite improvement under Wayne, but it’s looking like 2 of our spine players will be Mamozelous and Dodd. It won’t be an overnight success.
Correct mate that’s why I’ve lowered my expectations to around a 6th placed finish but obviously I want to be higher.

Anyway let’s hope there are a few more good signings on the way

Personally, I think we can finish top 4 with a halves pairing of Wighton and Walker.

So if Dodd is a bust, I don’t think it really matters that much (despite not being ideal for our cap).

If he holds his spot at the start of the year, that’s a bonus.

We had an appalling start to the season, but we have the players to sneak into the 8 this year (very unlikely I know).

Hopefully the black cats we killed, will finally release their hold on us and we’ll get a bit more luck with injuries.

2025 - fingers crossed - you will have a backline of:

1. Mitchell
2. AJ (last year and chasing the record)
3. Graham
4. Wighton
5. ? (I’d be ok with Gagai there, but you could also have Munro or Clarke if he signs or one of the young guns coming through)
6. Walker (last year)
7. Dodds / Gray

14. Gray

That’s not a bad backline.

You could also move Walker to 7 and Mitchell to 6 if Dodds isn’t working out and put Gray at the back.

The only potential weak link in the spine is Mamo at 9, but let’s see what the off season does to that, and the potential competition with Humphries.

Dodd sounds like a very accomplished player. 4 years at St Helens and won 2 SL titles. They won the World Club Challenge over the Riff when he kicked that drop-kick, (no not Jarome Luai), in extra time. I expect Dodd to hit the ground running.
I hope so mate.

My main concern being, the NRL is a big step up in class from super league. Average/below average NRL players go to super league and win the man of steel award. 4 of the past 5 recipients of the award have been Bevan French, Brodie Croft, Sam Tompkins and Jackson Hastings. Dodd is no man of steel winner.

My expectations for Dodd are not high. Hopefully your expectations are more on the money than mine and it will turn out to be a pleasant surprise. 👍🏼

Personally, I think we can finish top 4 with a halves pairing of Wighton and Walker.

So if Dodd is a bust, I don’t think it really matters that much (despite not being ideal for our cap).

If he holds his spot at the start of the year, that’s a bonus.
Which spine would you rate a higher chance of a top 4 finish?

Mitchell, Wighton, Walker, Cook
Or
Mitchell, Walker, Dodd, Mamozelous.

Or
I’ll tell you about halfway through 2025.

Despite being someone who was suprised they let Cook go, Wayne was here only two and a half years ago, and he fell agonisingly close to a premiership with a number of the players still here.

He may have a very strong thoughts on what he feels we lacked going into that 2021 run.

Or more simply, what he thinks we’re lacking as a 2024 squad that needs to be fixed for 2025.

It’s not a case of ‘let him have at it and don’t worry’, but we are in about as safe a set of hands as you could ask for.

I’ll play the interested onlooker more than the dubious second guesser at this stage.

Or
A better spine doesn't mean a better team

Hurts your cap too much and you have an unbalanced squad

Only Craig Bellamy can get away with that

But we need to strengthen our wingers especially or we're weakening for no reason

Or
I think you also have to consider the effect both spines have on the left centre position. If the halves are Wighton and Walker then left centre are Milner or Tass. If Walker and Dodd are the halves then Wighton is the left centre. I know that was not your question so I will go the 2nd option with Jack left centre.

I hope so mate.

My main concern being, the NRL is a big step up in class from super league. Average/below average NRL players go to super league and win the man of steel award. 4 of the past 5 recipients of the award have been Bevan French, Brodie Croft, Sam Tompkins and Jackson Hastings. Dodd is no man of steel winner.

My expectations for Dodd are not high. Hopefully your expectations are more on the money than mine and it will turn out to be a pleasant surprise. 👍🏼
Yes there are no guarantees. At only 22 and coached by WB he does have every chance to succeed at NRL level, especially with good players around him. What gives me confidence is that WB is ok with Illias and Hawkins moving on after Dodd was signed. It appears that WB does not look at him as a backup half.

I think you also have to consider the effect both spines have on the left centre position. If the halves are Wighton and Walker then left centre are Milner or Tass. If Walker and Dodd are the halves then Wighton is the left centre. I know that was not your question so I will go the 2nd option with Jack left centre.
Mitchell
Johnston
Tass
Graham
Munro
Wighton
Walker
Cook

Vs

Mitchell
Johnston
Wighton
Graham
Munro
Walker
Dodd
Mamozelous

Mitchell
Johnston
Tass
Graham
Munro
Wighton
Walker
Cook

Vs

Mitchell
Johnston
Wighton
Graham
Munro
Walker
Dodd
Mamozelous
So best 2024 starting backline v potential best 2025 starting backline. I think the 2025 is slightly stronger. Small question mark over the 9. The real difference is the coach. JD v WB.

A better spine doesn't mean a better team

Hurts your cap too much and you have an unbalanced squad

Only Craig Bellamy can get away with that

But we need to strengthen our wingers especially or we're weakening for no reason
Not even Bellamy can, Storm haven’t fired a legitimate premiership shot since Munster, Papenhuyzen, Grant and Hughes all came of age and contract worth.

For their 2020 win Pappy was in his second year and Hughes was in his first year as a full time halfback. They would have both been on very friendly deals with Munster and Smith the stars.

Since that Storm spine has graduated to league leaders, they’ve looked weak elsewhere.

Our backline has been our biggest weakness.

1 or 2 injuries and it's guys like kennar and milne as your starters.
I mean, Milne was arguably a starter without us having any injuries - battling it out for that right wing spot with Munro and Thompson. Of those 3 guys, he’s been the most consistent there over the past 2 seasons. The fact that’s health related doesn’t really matter. Being available counts.

In hindsight it was probably poor form by the club to look at those 3 guys and assume that spot was covered for.

Though having said that, we made a grand final with Paulo on a wing, so it’s likely a weakness you can overcome.

Kennar is another story, but it has taken injuries to 4 other outside back to see him rack up regular game time.

You’d assume they have a recruit out wide in mind for 2025, surely. As well as some depth fillers to plug in behind. Would be less of an issue if we had a couple of guys coming through, but it looks rather bare behind Munro and Mellars, in the short term at least.

Latest posts

Back