• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I've got a new rash

Sorry but are you serious , the problem with domestic violence , child abuse , alcohol abuse, crime, incarceration, is far over represented in our indigenous community, yes there is all of that in other sections if society but nowhere near the rate of indigenous statistics, heard of Alice Springs
Pretty sure the same problems with alcohol, youth crime and drugs are occurring in all parts of society. The spineless pollies need to address the problems at all levels. How can they single out the indigenous ? I'd say that's a fine example of racism, wouldn't you say ? Where I grew up crime was rampant and there was a small element of indigenous involved in that. I'm absolutely certain the same applies to most of Sydney.

There is one law for all people , didn't you know , oh except for removing indigenous children from dangerous homes , that is a no no now .
Excellent comment. There should be one law for all and the law is applied without fear or favour to ALL people regardless of race ,creed sex or anything else. The spinless pollies as you say, do not apply laws to people because they might 'offend' somebody. I absolutely agree that any law that is not applied as described above is racist.
Yes South Sydney is the first place where you traditionally find the scum of the Earth. Ah to relive the days of the razor gangs. Jack Rayner knew how to deal with them! Oh and Bumper - he was good.

Sorry but are you serious , the problem with domestic violence , child abuse , alcohol abuse, crime, incarceration, is far over represented in our indigenous community, yes there is all of that in other sections if society but nowhere near the rate of indigenous statistics, heard of Alice Springs
So does over represented mean it doesn't exist. Who cares about statistics . Crime is crime and can't be lugged into one group of people. We could actually think about why they are being over represented and maybe think of ways to bring those statistics down. Taking away alcohol is a bandaid policy and definitely discrimination, akin to refusing hotel entry to non- whites just like our past governments did before. Changing the date of celebration of Australia Day may be a stepping stone for future generations. It's probably worth a shot , because nothing else our governments have done seem to be working.

treaty​

noun

trea·ty ˈtrē-tē

pluraltreaties
Synonyms of treaty
a
: an agreement or arrangement made by negotiation:
(1)
: a contract in writing between two or more political authorities (such as states or sovereigns) formally signed by representatives duly authorized and usually ratified by the lawmaking authority of the state
(2)
: PRIVATE TREATY
b
: a document in which such a contract is set down
: the action of treating and especially of negotiating

treaty​

noun

trea·ty ˈtrē-tē

pluraltreaties
Synonyms of treaty
a
: an agreement or arrangement made by negotiation:
(1)
: a contract in writing between two or more political authorities (such as states or sovereigns) formally signed by representatives duly authorized and usually ratified by the lawmaking authority of the state
(2)
: PRIVATE TREATY
b
: a document in which such a contract is set down
: the action of treating and especially of negotiating
Put the definition of invasion up there as well Mega. 😉

Explainer: What is a treaty?​

A look at what a treaty is and how the adoption of a treaty might change the political landscape for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples.​

Published 22 June 2016 at 4:10pm, updated 6 February 2017 at 4:25pm

What is a treaty?​

A treaty is a binding agreement between two or more states or sovereign powers. It is usually reached after a period of negotiation.

While the word treaty usually brings to mind treaties under International Law such as the International Covenant for Civil and Political Rights, many European countries signed treaties with the Indigenous peoples of the lands they colonised.

Treaties contain articles which outline the points of agreement between the parties. A treaty is similar to a contract in that the parties to a treaty usually agree to take on certain responsibilities and duties which are legally binding.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...ean-and-why-should-it-matter-to-you/9gqu6dflf

What do other countries have?​

New Zealand​

New Zealand has one national treaty, the Treaty of Waitangi, which was first signed by Maori chiefs and British representatives on the 6th of February 1840. While the Treaty was originally signed at Waitangi on the North Island, copies of the Treaty were widely circulated and many chiefs from across New Zealand signed the copies. This event is commemorated by New Zealand’s national day, Waitangi Day.

However, concerns have been raised over the exact wording of the Treaty as the English and Maori versions differ. There is also debate as to whether or not the Treaty allowed Britain to gain sovereignty over New Zealand.
We are still the only Commonwealth country not to have signed a treaty with Indigenous people. – Stan Grant

Canada​

The Canadian Government, on behalf of the Crown, signed nearly 100 treaties with the First Nations peoples of Canada from 1701 onwards. These include the 11 Numbered Treaties signed with various groups of Aboriginal people as the British expanded into the central and northern regions of the country.

These agreements are upheld by the Government of Canada and given protection under the 1982 Constitution Act s 35: ‘Aboriginal and treaty rights are hereby recognized and affirmed.’ Treaty Days are celebrated in many provinces and significant anniversaries are commemorated by an exchanging of gifts and discussions of treaty issues.

United States​

The United States also signed many treaties with Native Americans tribes after the first 1778
Treaty with the Delawares.
Treaties were largely used by the United States to force Native Americans off their territory and in many cases the agreements made in the treaties were broken by the US.

Tribal sovereignty, however, is recognized in the US constitution and allows for the Native American peoples to engage with the Federal Government on a ‘nation to nation’ level.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...itutional-recognition-work-together/yuwzu31uv

Sovereignty​

One of the major bases for the calls for treaty has been the concept of sovereignty. Sovereignty refers to the independence of a state and its ability to control its own affairs without interference.

Many Indigenous Australians claim that sovereignty over the land of Australia was never ceded to British colonisers and that this means Indigenous Australians should have the authority to govern their own lives. In practical terms however, sovereignty may mean different things to different people such as self-government or a recognition of the distinctive place of Indigenous culture.
“A treaty forces you to see me as an equal, with a separate identity, history and culture that has existed for tens of thousands of years… The thing we want recognised is our sovereignty.” – Nayuka Gorrie
Former NITV journalist Jeremey Geia, now known as Murrumu Walubara Yidindji, has
reasserted sovereignty over Yidinji land near Cairns. Renouncing his Australian citizen and reverting primarily to traditional law, Murrumu claims that his cultural lands were never given up and all additions to the land made by colonisers are attached to those lands and therefore Yidinji property.

Treaty and Recognition​

There has been ongoing debate about the appropriate vehicle to pursue ongoing relations between Indigenous Australians and the Federal Government. Recently there have been calls for both recognition of Indigenous peoples in the Australian Constitution and a treaty between the Government and Indigenous peoples.

While the proposals are related, each proposal serves a different practical purpose. The amending of the Constitution seeks to recognise Indigenous Australians in the founding document of the nation of Australia. A treaty seeks negotiation and agreement between two independent parties, separate from their domestic legal systems.

https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article...he-importance-of-self-determination/kujn0bgaj

There have been some concerns that Constitutional recognition would negate declarations of Indigenous sovereignty by formally including Indigenous Australians in the founding document of the Australian legal system. However, numerous legal scholars including Professor

Tanya Hosch the co-Chair of Recognise, the campaign behind the movement to recognise Indigenous peoples in the Australian Constitution, has also said: "For me and so many other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders peoples who support treaty and constitutional recognition, we know that this is not an either/or choice,"

Where to from here?

State Treaties​

Victoria has been the first state to make a move towards treaty discussions with Indigenous people. A meeting between 500 Indigenous Victorians and the Aboriginal Affairs Minister Natalie Hutchins in February has led to increased discussion on the topic of a state-based treaty. The Victorian Government has committed to a serious of talks and a set of guiding aims and the first forum was held on the 26th and 27th of May 2016.

Over one hundred people also attended a treaty forum which took place in Redfern in March 2016 where Tony McAvoy, Tauto Sansbury, Terry Mason, Dr Chris Sarra and Yingiya Mark Guyula spoke in broad support of a treaty movement.

In December 2016, the South Australian Government put $4.4 million aside over five years to support a treaty process and negotiation in that State.

National treaty​

There has also been increased discussion of treaty at a national level. The co-Chairs of the National Congress of Australia's First Peoples, have come out in support of the Victorian treaty discussions, suggesting that a treaty 'is more likely to produce tangible outcomes for Indigenous Australians than Constitutional Recognition'.

Put the definition of invasion up there as well Mega. 😉

Meaning of invasion in English​

invasion
noun [ C or U ]

UK

/ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/ US

/ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/

B2
an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and take control of another country:
They were planning to mount an invasion of the north of the country.
C2
an occasion when a large number of people or things come to a place in an annoying and unwanted way:

So does that mean you leaving the country Bundy, I mean if you feel so strongly .
No , because I'm sure change will come. I'm Australian just as our indigenous are. I do have aboriginal ancestry on one side which I didn't find out until about 10 years ago. My views have nothing to do with that though.

Last edited:
Treaty = respect.
Changing the date of Australia Day so we don't party on their day of mourning = respect.
Changing the National Anthem altogether (for the good) so we don't celebrate their colonisation and cultural calamity= respect.

So, what would respect do? Gee..... how much more do we need to spell it out?

Crime is crime yes and when you have one group far over represented in all aspects of crime its not something to ignore, as for alcohol, i admit its quite racist to say to one group you cant have alcohol, but do you then ignore the bashed women, the home invasions and crime stealing to buy grog, do you ignore the sexually assaulted kids , its a sad reflection on the people but you have to protect the innocent, alcohol has to be banned and its all on them and their behavior.
And as for the national anthem and flag and Australia, you people would change it against the will of the majority, or if their was a vote and we voted no to all changes would you accept it or keep bleating your woke guilt trip, and i think the world of Jacinta Price , a real breath of fresh air, bet you woke blokes hate her..
So does over represented mean it doesn't exist. Who cares about statistics . Crime is crime and can't be lugged into one group of people. We could actually think about why they are being over represented and maybe think of ways to bring those statistics down. Taking away alcohol is a bandaid policy and definitely discrimination, akin to refusing hotel entry to non- whites just like our past governments did before. Changing the date of celebration of Australia Day may be a stepping stone for future generations. It's probably worth a shot , because nothing else our governments have done seem to be working.

Meaning of invasion in English​

invasion
noun [ C or U ]

UK

/ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/ US

/ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/

B2
an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and take control of another country:
They were planning to mount an invasion of the north of the country.
C2
an occasion when a large number of people or things come to a place in an annoying and unwanted way:
I wonder if you could add up the number of invasions that Britain has had in its history. I am reading a book on the Roman one now.

Very interesting isnt it , Londonium was the original name for London, the shoes and writing tablets ect they found at Vindolanda are amazing for 2000 years ago, wow what a culture..
I wonder if you could add up the number of invasions that Britain has had in its history. I am reading a book on the Roman one now.

Crime is crime yes and when you have one group far over represented in all aspects of crime its not something to ignore, as for alcohol, i admit its quite racist to say to one group you cant have alcohol, but do you then ignore the bashed women, the home invasions and crime stealing to buy grog, do you ignore the sexually assaulted kids , its a sad reflection on the people but you have to protect the innocent, alcohol has to be banned and its all on them and their behavior.
And as for the national anthem and flag and Australia, you people would change it against the will of the majority, or if their was a vote and we voted no to all changes would you accept it or keep bleating your woke guilt trip, and i think the world of Jacinta Price , a real breath of fresh air, bet you woke blokes hate her..
Personally I couldn't care less about changing flag or anthem . I just think an unlawful invasion of a country, with facts that are hard to ignore should not be celebrated. As far as land rights etc. I don't know enough about that so I'm staying well away from that. I've grown up at certain times with both white fulla and black fulla as my friends and neighbours. There is good and bad in both departments so I can't cop this let's blame the black fulla nonsense.Just on those kids running rampant up north. I think you'll find there are plenty of non indigenous kids running with them. As far as woke goes . That's ridiculous. This shit's been around since well before woke even became a word. I still don't know what that actually means and can't be bothered to find out. Anyway.,good discussion but I'm out now.

Last edited:
Back