• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I've got a new rash

Fact is a lot of the children that were removed to protect them as they were mixed race or in other dangers, and this has not gone on for quite a while, and you realize so many people who survived the Holocaust went on to be very successful , its time to move on and stop pointing to issues long past.
This is the argument that always perplexes me: "stop pointing to issues long past."

ANZAC Day was 1915.
Armistice Day was 1918.
The Coniston Massacre was 1928.

Are we supposed to forget about 1928 because it is "long past"? But commemorate ANZAC Day and Armistice/Remembrance Day? Aren't they "issues long past"?

Kids were removed within the lifetime of many posters on here (certainly mine). Are we supposed to forget about that and the horrendous effects on their families because it's "long past"?

So enough with the back and forth sad stories from long ago, tell us all how we fix things Gerg, tell us how we stop the crime, alcohol abuse, domestic violence, child neglect that is going on for generations, the majority of Australians want the date kept at 26th January, do we change it against there will and create more ill feeling?, and changing that one date wont fix anything, so tell us what you think will work so we wont be here in 50 years with the same sad stories..
This is the argument that always perplexes me: "stop pointing to issues long past."

ANZAC Day was 1915.
Armistice Day was 1918.
The Coniston Massacre was 1928.

Are we supposed to forget about 1928 because it is "long past"? But commemorate ANZAC Day and Armistice/Remembrance Day? Aren't they "issues long past"?

Kids were removed within the lifetime of many posters on here (certainly mine). Are we supposed to forget about that and the horrendous effects on their families because it's "long past"?

So enough with the back and forth sad stories from long ago, tell us all how we fix things Gerg, tell us how we stop the crime, alcohol abuse, domestic violence, child neglect that is going on for generations, the majority of Australians want the date kept at 26th January, do we change it against there will and create more ill feeling?, and changing that one date wont fix anything, so tell us what you think will work so we wont be here in 50 years with the same sad stories..
Why would I have the answers?

The one thing I know is that us whitefellas need to shut the eff up and genuinely listen to what Indigenous folks have to say. Hopefully our governments (and I know I'm drawing a long bow here...) will have enough wisdom to act on what communities need.

What like Lydia Thorpe who declared war and demanded we pay reparations, if you open your ears there is a whole lot of " something for nothing" talk getting thrown around.
You do remember they wanted the cashless welfare card gone and the right to buy Alcohol, hows that going?.
Why would I have the answers?

The one thing I know is that us whitefellas need to shut the eff up and genuinely listen to what Indigenous folks have to say. Hopefully our governments (and I know I'm drawing a long bow here...) will have enough wisdom to act on what communities need.

I appreciate your honesty Bluedog.

Take a person, any person. Invade their home. Perpetrate countless horrible acts upon them. Then extend that to their entire community, their culture - for generations.

Then tell me how you just ‘fix it’.

I think the short answer to your questions is ‘you’ don’t. I certainly don’t know how to.

The one accomodation anyone can afford though, is to listen, and show empathy and understanding.

It’s not hard, and doesn’t distract from your day to day, or impinge on your personal freedoms to any great degree.

Last edited:
What like Lydia Thorpe who declared war and demanded we pay reparations, if you open your ears there is a whole lot of " something for nothing" talk getting thrown around.
You do remember they wanted the cashless welfare card gone and the right to buy Alcohol, hows that going?.
As I said, us whitefellas should probably shut up. Which is what I'm doing.

PP we have listened, we have shown empathy we try and understand, but it will never ever happen that anybody not aboriginal will get on a boat and hand the country back but its something you hear from every protest rally, over history i think there would be very few countries that were not invaded, in Africa strong tribes took over land of other tribes ie Shaka Zulu, in South America it was the Incas, in England it was Romans, Vikings then Saxons and Angles, point is in this country that happened 250 years ago, would any Aboriginal really want to go back to living with no shelter, no clothes, no medical aid and stone age tools?, i bet not too many would.
Alcohol for instance, i personally think its actually racist to deny a race access to legal alcohol, but my god if you let them have it there is a blood bath of domestic abuse and crime, so you see its up to them isnt it, its there responsibility to have a drink and not go crazy, but they dont so what do we do.
I appreciate your honesty Bluedog.

Take a person, any person. Invade their home. Perpetrate countless horrible acts upon them. Then extend that to their entire community, their culture - for generations.

Then tell me how you just ‘fix it’.

I think the short answer to your questions is ‘you’ don’t. I certainly don’t know how to.

The one accomodation anyone can afford though, is to listen, and show empathy and understanding.

It’s not hard, and doesn’t distract from your day to day, or impinge on your personal freedoms to any great degree.

Australian government must negotiate a treaty with First Nations people
25 Jan 2021|Lidia Thorpe
Print This Post
GettyImages-1201929861.jpg

With 26 January looming, many Australians will be ashamed of the fact that First Nations people in this country are among the most incarcerated on the planet. Our children are almost 10 times more likely to be removed from their families. We are likely to die decades earlier than other Australians. We experience daily, systemic racism. These are the ongoing impacts of colonisation, racism, land dispossession and trauma.
The countless injustices Aboriginal people have faced began on 26 January 1788, but they continue today. Many have asked what it will take for this country to resolve the ongoing injustice.
The answer, I believe, can be found in a treaty. It’s something Aboriginal people have called for over many decades.
Under the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples, which Australia endorsed in 2009, Aboriginal people have the right to self-determination and to compensation for the wrongs against us. Through the deliberative negotiation of a treaty, our rights can be fully realised. We can work through our painful history and we can all move forward as a nation, with peace and justice.
A treaty is a legally binding outcome of a negotiation that acknowledges Aboriginal people, as the first and sovereign peoples of this land, to have self-governance over our own affairs, to have economic independence and to have land.
Australia is among the only Commonwealth countries without a legally binding treaty with its first peoples. A treaty would provide an opportunity for First Nations people and the Australian state speak to one another, for the first time, as sovereign to sovereign. It would radically reshape the relationship between First Nations peoples and other Australians, beginning with an acknowledgement of a simple truth—that sovereignty of this land was never ceded.
A treaty is ultimately a peace agreement. Until sovereignty is recognised, there can be no lasting peace. Without a treaty, the many injustices suffered by Aboriginal people since the first landing, more than 200 years ago, cannot be properly addressed.
The invasion of this country is the first and fundamental injustice that occurred on this continent. It’s a deep and enduring stain on this nation, but it can be resolved by a treaty. A treaty will make Australia more equal, justice and peaceful, and therefore more united and cohesive.
This would not be the first time this country has considered the importance of a treaty as a means of achieving justice for First Nations people.
In 1988, Prime Minister Bob Hawke committed to a negotiated treaty with Aboriginal people after being presented with a document known as the Barunga Statement. In the statement, First Nations peoples called on the Commonwealth parliament to ‘negotiate with us a Treaty recognising our prior ownership, continued occupation and sovereignty and affirming our human rights and freedom’.
In 2021, some decades on from Hawke’s commitment to acknowledge the sovereign rights of Aboriginal people through a treaty, government proposals to achieve justice for First Nations peoples are far less ambitious.
In recent weeks, early proposals put forward by the advisory group for an Indigenous voice to parliament so far lack the ambition we need if we are to heal our country’s deep wounds. Under the draft model, the government of the day would not be required to take the advice of the voice, or to listen. Aboriginal people have been speaking to governments on both sides for decades. The voice will not serve us if the government and the parliament need not listen to it—nor will it bring about real change if it is not the voice of Aboriginal peoples as the first and sovereign people of this land.
Treaties must first be achieved by a truth-telling process that fully reveals the extent to which Aboriginal people have suffered—and continue to suffer—since the first landing, and how this can be addressed.
The Australian Greens party’s view is that the timing and sequence of these actions matter. A treaty and truth-telling are needed to make sure any changes in the constitution are meaningful and not just tokenistic. We’ve already seen this government watering down its original plans for a voice to parliament and being non-committal on constitutional recognition.
The denial of a treaty for First Nations people remains an injustice in this country. It denies us land, the means to achieve economic independence, self-governance, proper freedom to live in accordance with our culture and even proper recognition of our identity. The priorities for inclusion in treaty negotiation should be led by Aboriginal and Torres Strait Island people.
Only through proper treaty processes can Aboriginal people heal and have these rights restored. It will take a lot of talking, listening and good faith, and both Blak and white Australia will need to come on this journey, together.
At its heart, a treaty is about mutual respect—speaking to one another, as equals, and starting with the truth about what our people have faced since that first invasion. It would transform this country. A treaty that starts with truth-telling is the serious change that this country needs.
But we can’t do this alone. We need all Australians to come on this journey of truth-telling with us. Ahead of this year’s Invasion Day, we’re asking you to turn up for us. And we’re asking you to stand with us, to turn this day of mourning into a day of healing so we can all move forward together as a nation.
On 26 January, I hope you’ll join us.

Last edited:
PP we have listened, we have shown empathy we try and understand, but it will never ever happen that anybody not aboriginal will get on a boat and hand the country back but its something you hear from every protest rally, over history i think there would be very few countries that were not invaded, in Africa strong tribes took over land of other tribes ie Shaka Zulu, in South America it was the Incas, in England it was Romans, Vikings then Saxons and Angles, point is in this country that happened 250 years ago, would any Aboriginal really want to go back to living with no shelter, no clothes, no medical aid and stone age tools?, i bet not too many would.
Alcohol for instance, i personally think its actually racist to deny a race access to legal alcohol, but my god if you let them have it there is a blood bath of domestic abuse and crime, so you see its up to them isnt it, its there responsibility to have a drink and not go crazy, but they dont so what do we do.
I think it's racist to deny people internet access but give a white bloke a keyboard and they carry on like this.

That was a very poor reply , I would delete it myself .
It's absolutely no different to any of what you've posted above. Except I don't really mean it.

Anyway, it's in the past, isn't it?

You may not agree with what i posted but its true and the reality , and anybody who thinks the idea of a treaty is not about reparation ie compensation is kidding themselves , feel free to hand over your hard earned if you wish though .
It's absolutely no different to any of what you've posted above. Except I don't really mean it.

Anyway, it's in the past, isn't it?

Pretty sure the same problems with alcohol, youth crime and drugs are occurring in all parts of society. The spineless pollies need to address the problems at all levels. How can they single out the indigenous ? I'd say that's a fine example of racism, wouldn't you say ? Where I grew up crime was rampant and there was a small element of indigenous involved in that. I'm absolutely certain the same applies to most of Sydney.

Pretty sure the same problems with alcohol, youth crime and drugs are occurring in all parts of society. The spineless pollies need to address the problems at all levels. How can they single out the indigenous ? I'd say that's a fine example of racism, wouldn't you say ? Where I grew up crime was rampant and there was a small element of indigenous involved in that. I'm absolutely certain the same applies to most of Sydney.
Excellent comment. There should be one law for all and the law is applied without fear or favour to ALL people regardless of race ,creed sex or anything else. The spinless pollies as you say, do not apply laws to people because they might 'offend' somebody. I absolutely agree that any law that is not applied as described above is racist.
Yes South Sydney is the first place where you traditionally find the scum of the Earth. Ah to relive the days of the razor gangs. Jack Rayner knew how to deal with them! Oh and Bumper - he was good.

Back