• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I've got a new rash

ive travelled lived and worked in 30countries. i know whats out there. im grateful for modern day australia and the freedom and safety it represents. im also respectful and mindful of past atrocities. im not ok with children of today being made to feel guilty for the sins of the father.
happy australia day.
ill be celebrating!
cheers.

I don’t think anyone is trying to put a guilt trip on kids Ash. I’d expect all Australians are fine with acknowledging that this date isn’t all sunshine and roses. Especially when celebrated on a day that is perceived in a very different light by different members of the Australian community.

Acknowledgment and understanding is all I think most expect.

I don’t think anyone is trying to put a guilt trip on kids Ash. I’d expect all Australians are fine with acknowledging that this date isn’t all sunshine and roses. Especially when celebrated on a day that is perceived in a very different light by different members of the Australian community.

Acknowledgment and understanding is all I think most expect.
unfortunately yes they do. 2 years ago one of his teachers told him that our forefathers had murdered the indigenous(fact). they also said he needed to be mindful of this and that him and his family were the unfair benefactors of pretty much all the good things we have in life( lies).
he was quite upset and certaintly felt the guilt.
this is a story ive heard many times and its also my last post on the subject.
cheers.

L
unfortunately yes they do. 2 years ago one of his teachers told him that our forefathers had murdered the indigenous(fact). they also said he needed to be mindful of this and that him and his family were the unfair benefactors of pretty much all the good things we have in life( lies).
he was quite upset and certaintly felt the guilt.
this is a story ive heard many times and its also my last post on the subject.
cheers.
When I went to school I learned nothing about the land theft, murders, and wars. Just happy stories about Captain Cook, and penal colonies.
If kids are now being taught the facts about this, well and good. I didn't learn it until years later at university, along with how badly our indigenous have been treated since then as well; missions to convert them, forced reservations, stolen generation, abuse and discrimination. The younger generations do not have to feel permanently guilty, but they do need to learn and acknowledge about the past and realise that for many, this day is an awful reminder.

I'm mindful of the past atrocities. I am also mindful that on this day in 1788 modern Australia was born; otherwise I may have been born a pom or a scot (Yuk!)
I am going to respectfully disagree with this and what @ASH1908 said about the date.

Australia was “born” on the 1st January 1901 when we ceased being a colony of the UK and became an independent country.

The 26th January marks the establishment of a penal colony by the English, when Capt Arthur Phillip (later Governor) made landfall.

It also wasn’t when Australia was discovered, seeing the Dutch had been here nearly 200 years before and the French were also circling when Capt Cook sailed into Botany Bay, some 18 years previously.

And it was the establishment of the penal colony of New South Wales. Not Australia.

Want to celebrate Australia Day. Celebrate the 1st January.

The date needs to change, not just because it is offensive to our First Nations people - which is reason enough in my book - but because it has nothing to do with the establishment of Australia.

We are the only Country I know that completely ignores the date of our becoming a Country and celebrates the arrival of a foreign colonising power.

It’d be like the Indians ignoring the 26th January and having a massive party on the 2nd August - to celebrate the formation of the British Raj.

The date will change…hopefully sooner, rather than later. And pretty quickly after that it will be a day that unifies us, not divides us.

(Oh and all of you older folk who want to post about their lifelong tradition of celebrating Australia Day - it wasn’t even a nationally recognised public holiday until 1994).

Being guilty and feeling guilty are two different things. Doesn't feel good obviously but it can be a very powerful motivator for change for the good. So, feel how you feel and act accordingly.

I don't feel personally guilty but I do feel terribly for the victims of genocide that this day is a reminder of. I wish to celebrate Australia on a much better date under much better circumstances than January 26 - the 365th choice it should be held in my book.

I personally believe that I am the luckiest person in the world to have the luck to be born in this country. I want to celebrate that. Is our history squeaky clean? No. Name a country any where in the world that has one. Just as Rusty said that we should respect the history , traditions and past players of the South Sydney club then we should also respect the history, traditions, cultures and past members of Australia going back 40000 years , give or take a year or two. ALL Australian citizens should be treated with exactly the same amount of respect.

Back