• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Grand Final 2022: Panthers v Eels

Were the Panthers even better this year than last year? Or was it a case of those teams that were close to them last year fell back in the pack? Or was it a case of both?

They ended up being run away minor premiers and no team got close to them in the finals at the end.

They will come back a bit next year with the loss of Api and Kikau. But is that enough for the other teams to close the gap?

Outside of us who do we see as their real threat? At the moment I can only see us and probably the Roosters. Cowboys could build on this season.

Were the Panthers even better this year than last year? Or was it a case of those teams that were close to them last year fell back in the pack? Or was it a case of both?

They ended up being run away minor premiers and no team got close to them in the finals at the end.

They will come back a bit next year with the loss of Api and Kikau. But is that enough for the other teams to close the gap?

Outside of us who do we see as their real threat? At the moment I can only see us and probably the Roosters. Cowboys could build on this season.
Storm if their stars stay fit even though they’re losing some players if their guns are fit you can’t count them out.

If Turbo has an injury free year Manly could go better and be a top 6 side they have the potential too.

RCB and Paulo went MIA,Penrith pack ate them!

Last edited:
Soundslike it was a good idea to boycott the game this year.

I think Penrith were at just about the same level as last year. This, despite losing Burton and Capewell.

I also think that most teams that were up there last year fell back slightly.

Teams like the Storm and us had the most and the second most injuries in the competition.

We also had some massive changes in our squad. New coach. New halfback. New centre, which took half a season or more to discover.

So to answer your question, probably a bit of both.

I was telling myself that Penrith will probably come back to the pack a little bit next year, with the loss of Korisau and Kikau and they may yet do. After watching that reserve grade grand final yesterday, I am not so sure.

I think they have an absolute star coming through at hooker in Soni Luke. Preston Riki also looks to be a gun in the second row. Those two could simply come into the side and Penrith don’t miss a beat. Penrith could become the new Melbourne.

I agree that it looks like only us and the Roosters can challenge them. Neither us or them can wait for Penrith to come back to the pack. We will need to be better than we were this season to beat them.

The Panthers were just too strong for the Eels who were not the second best team in the competition but how got there anyway.

I don't see them as unbeatable (we came close last year) but it will be tough.

Anyway just on a positive note only two teams won more finals games than they lost - the Panthers (three out of three) and us (two out of three).

Next year we just have to make the grand final. I'll enjoy stopping their "threepeat"

Cheers

People dribbling on about the Panthers fab juniors nursery.
I counted around six juniors in their team.
Souths have five including Moale?Not counting DSF.
The rest of the current Panthers were recruits from outside their junior league!

People dribbling on about the Panthers fab juniors nursery.
I counted around six juniors in their team.
Souths have five including Moale?Not counting DSF.
The rest of the current Panthers were recruits from outside their junior league!
I think it is more like 9:

To’o
Crighton
Tago
Luai
Cleary
Leota
Fisher harris
Kenny
Leinu

Some of those blokes coming from country areas came through the pathways at Penrith too. Players like Yeo and Edwards for example.

Great effort.

Back