• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Favourite/greatest war movies

chelseabree

Reaction score
So I don't waste a thread I thought I might start on different genres.
War movies. Now we all know the popular ones= which does not mean they are good. FURY is one of the worst movies ever made- except for one scene and that is only because of the fact they used a REAL Tiger tank.
I thought I might mention some not so well known or just very old.
Paths of Glory
A very long Engagement
Cross Of Iron
As Far as my feet will carry me.
The bridge at Remagen

Last edited:
I forgot IS PARIS BURNING- have watched that about 10 times

War Horse brought me to tears on many occasions. Mainly because I’m a tragic horse lover. Very moving movie

Von Ryan's Express
Bridge on the River Kwai
Von Ryan's Express was a great movie. here we have a great singer who had a serious acting role. and he did a great job of it too.
One of the best- THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN-the march is one of my favorite tunes.

Von Ryan's Express was a great movie. here we have a great singer who had a serious acting role. and he did a great job of it too.

He could do it all, one of the greatest entertainers of all time.

Chairman of the Board!!!

War Horse brought me to tears on many occasions. Mainly because I’m a tragic horse lover. Very moving movie
Very true. I cannot watch any movie that has horses being hurt. I remember in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT- the middle one- when the new soldiers get to the front for the first time there is a bombardment. One of the soldiers is a farm boy and he is screaming 'shoot the horses' when they are crying in agony after being hit. Funnily enough it upset me more than any scene.

I have watched the Blues Bros 3 times.

Did not realise the thread was for War Movies

Last edited:
+1 for Apocalypse Now
The Thin Red Line
The Eagle Has Landed
Eye of the Needle

Last edited:
Saving private Ryan
SPR had some of the best battle sequences ever and the parts away from the battlefield, the graveyard and the car arriving at the mother's home are some of the most moving but gee I sat there screaming at the TV.
I thought- an officer has been given a mission, strict orders, to get a certain PR out of battle and bring him home. he finds Ryan and orders him to come with him, Ryan a private and there as a calm in the battle. What does Ryan say....No. The captain says OK. Is that they way the US army works?
Oh and it is beautiful day - a company of Tiger tanks, no less, attack. On an important bridge no less. Where the hell were the US fighter bombers? having the day off/ sleeping in /eating a big breakfast? Hang on....... they turn up just in the nick of time....Just like the cowboys movies of the 1950s.

Back