• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Favourite/greatest war movies

Chelsea Americas finest hour was when they shouldered the load in WW2.
Their credibility has been on a downhill slide since then.
Vietnam a bunch of racist barbarians,bombing of Baghdad ….WMD.
Failure to control their satellite Israel appalling,better not start that one up again.
Americans can make a really good movie but their jingoism is too much for me!
I have Oppenheimer to watch today as Edward G Robinson once said.” Dirty Commie” Words of Wisdom!

I don't know how you remember lines from movies. There's very few I remember, but I had a mate who could rattle them off at will, accurately. This was in pre internet days so he was going on what he remembered seeing a movie a couple of times. Well done!

About the only one I can remember is "go ahead, make my day", due to the few words.
There are some great quotes from movies.
some other great 'war' movies I remember are WAR GAMES-a kid hacks into the supercomputer controlling nuclear weapons ESCAPE FROM SOBIBOR true story. EMPIRE OF THE SUN, LETTERS FROM IWO JIMA, GLORY surely one of the greatest of all time and SLAUGHTERHOUSE 5- brilliant movie and book.

Not a movie but there's a series on SBS called Rogue Heroes about the beginnings of the SAS in WW2 that's not bad. Also World on Fire is another one which was worth watching. Both English speaking for those who don't like subtitles. Best of all it's free.

Chelsea Americas finest hour was when they shouldered the load in WW2.
Their credibility has been on a downhill slide since then.
Vietnam a bunch of racist barbarians,bombing of Baghdad ….WMD.
Failure to control their satellite Israel appalling,better not start that one up again.
Americans can make a really good movie but their jingoism is too much for me!
I have Oppenheimer to watch today as Edward G Robinson once said.” Dirty Commie” Words of Wisdom!
I agree with WW2 but I think the Korean War was justified. It was just a simple invasion by North Korea. On that topic there are some great Korean war movies. I saw one about a group of South and North Koreans who were in a trench that changed hands repeatedly. Eventually the two groups used to leave presents and photos for the other side to collect next time they controlled the trench.
THE FRONT LINE .I tell you one of the best ever war movies. Must see if you like War movies.

come on mags, keep up. You said the following, join the dots

Magaoidh said:
The Russians have been vilified by Western propaganda for centuries.
That’s a fact Sutto,cannon around the Botany Bay to stop the Russkis in the Crimean War.FMD.
Utter rubbish you are ignorant of the facts,join the dots yourself!
How many Russians have you known?

Don’t bother,Ima Yankee Doodle dandy!
So you are in your own words irrelevant?😂

Very true. I cannot watch any movie that has horses being hurt. I remember in ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT- the middle one- when the new soldiers get to the front for the first time there is a bombardment. One of the soldiers is a farm boy and he is screaming 'shoot the horses' when they are crying in agony after being hit. Funnily enough it upset me more than any scene.
As I have stated the book is the greatest anti war novel bar none,the horse episode is even more traumatic in the book.
Borgnine as Katz hmmmmm.
The book is based on the authors experience! Hitler really liked Remarque,not.
Hitler had Remarques sister beheaded and people actually worshipped Adolf.!!!!!

As I have stated the book is the greatest anti war novel bar none,the horse episode is even more traumatic in the book.
Borgnine as Katz hmmmmm.
The book is based on the authors experience! Hitler really liked Remarque,not.
Hitler had Remarques sister beheaded and people actually worshipped Adolf.!!!!!
Can't argue with that. Mind you Borgnine had a great quote to the new recruits- 'I'm going to help you forget what you learnt in the parade ground- I am going to teach you real things to keep you alive'. I used to quote that to my Uni students who came to me as interns at school to become teachers.

The 1930s movie is available on dvd btw.
My parents both owned copies of AQOWF

Last edited:

Back