• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Fan Attendance

I think what people have to remember is winning and success brings bigger crowds. There are so many reasons for that. At the same time the bigger games when winning will also bring bigger crowds.

I know so many people over the years that use to go to most games. Now they are lucky to get to any. They all still have the same passion for the club, but life’s priorities have changed.

Whether is be cost, family commitments or other reasons.

When you are winning naturally people will make more of an effort to get there. It’s easier to get out there and spend that money or take time away from the family when you are winning.

Let’s not dismiss the venue. Whilst I don’t have too many issues with views, people find it hard seeing the game at Accor, so watching from home is the better option.

Then there is getting to the venue. Thursday and Friday night games means dealing with the traffic for so many.

So whilst it may be easy for you to get to the games, it’s not as easy for others. With these type of obstacles in the way when you’re losing it’s easier to say stuff it. When you’re winning you’re more chance of attending.
Also some long term fans have moved right out of area. What used to be an easy trip in to a game is now very difficult and means a two or more hour drive home late at night.

I went to a few games last year and didn’t go to any games this year (which makes me a fair weather fan in the eyes of some on here of course. A fair weather fan that’s supported the club longer than they’ve been alive of course).
I suppose if a person attend games in all conditions they would have to be considered a "Die-Hard" Rabbitohs fan. Those folk in the Burrow would certainly have that credential.....with honours. But what if, for whatever reasons, attending games is not part of the weekly routine anymore? Peoples circumstances change. I think a person could still consider themselves a "Die-Hard" Rabbitoh, if their support for the Rabbitohs has been at a level of 100%, has been constant without any lapses, and has been totally unwavering for the last 20 years. That would do it. And 5 years less if the person likes seeing the Roosters lose. 🤣

Also some long term fans have moved right out of area. What used to be an easy trip in to a game is now very difficult and means a two or more hour drive home late at night.
I know some people who regularly travel from Nelson Bay. Most times they don’t get home from the game until about 2 in the morning. That is a huge ask for people to do week in week out.

It is so much easier to watch from home. Even more so when you’re not going well.

My choice to go to games is simply I can’t stand watching it from home. During Covid I didn’t get the same enjoyment. Missing being at the grand final was a nightmare. I guess the silver lining in losing for me was that I wasn’t there.

Yes losing is bad for attendances.

But chalking our attendances cultural woes up to that is shortsighted.

In 2023 we were essentially in the 8 the entire season. Right up until our final round loss. For a large chunk of the year we were in or battling around the top 4.

These are the attendance numbers:

Accor
R4 Manly Sat 18k
R5 Storm Fri 11k
R8 Panthers Thur 19k
R11 Tigers Sat 21k
R13 Raiders Sat 12k
R17 Cowboys Sun 11k
R19 Dogs Sat 16k
—————
R27Roosters Fri 36k

Away From Accor
R12 Eels Fri 27k (Allianz)
R21 Broncos Fri 8k (Sunshine Coast)
R23 Sharks Sat 45k (Perth)
R24 Dragons Sat 8k (Cairns)

So with the exception of the final round of the season, in a game to make the 8 against our perennial rivals (which should have seen 40-50k in attendance), we didn’t crack more than 21k at our home ground of Accor. Despite leading the comp in amongst that period.

The NRL’s schedule has forsaken crowds (except for Brisbane, who get preferential scheduling), the Rabbitohs fan base is aging out, Sydney NRL fans are too comfortable at home with their big screen, the gloss of Accor as a venue has worn off, Sydney siders don’t like going outside in winter (especially if there is even a hint of water about), there’s no atmosphere at any stadium which is only (at our best) 1/4 full. I could go on.

Crowds and live culture attendance is a problem for our club, and has been for a while (it’s been glossed over some because we were coming from a place of strength in the early 10’s).

It’s not 2012-2014 anymore. We aren’t breaking records or being described as the sleeping giants.

At the 2 Roosters games to open Allianz, I was shocked at the average age of Roosters fans, who despite our jibes, were out in attendance. They’ve managed to usher in multiple new generations of fan. We haven’t (at least not ones that want to go watch the game live).

It’s a cultural problem for the club and the NRL.

We managed to develop a culture of membership (~30k, plenty of whom I assume don’t live in Sydney). We need to develop a culture of game day attendance again.

And that shouldn’t be on the shoulders of the elderly or those that have left Sydney. A big Sydney club should have a big group of Sydney-siders, of an engaged age, that want to watch our product live.

Otherwise, what are we doing?

Last edited:
I must be on a death-wish here...being 68 I guess it is probably not far away anyway :) ?!
I'm going to put it out there for what I'm certain is going to create a shit-storm...for all their sins, evil empire and preferential treatment that Club from Bondi has used that 'Eastern suburbs- cool' and their apparent winning ability (except when it counts) that has attracted the younger generation that look for instant gratification and winners; nobody likes losers or uncool imagery. Look at the jersey age of a Roosters crowd...usually at worst a couple of seasons old if not the current season. No sense of tradition or other attachment other than cool winning team with the glamour location....it's cool to be a cock supporter (contempt intended).

What is the South Sydney marketing spiel? Tradition? Boring. Hot and cold on field performances? What is the South Sydney 'feel'....are we still Redfern of old, battlers, housing commission, first nations and migrant population that for a period over 50 years ago was a successful winning Club?

No we aren't but that old derogatory impression of Souffs fans ...toothless, less than all there and uncool persists. We old timers wear this as a badge of honour but how do you make it cool to a younger set of fans who have not known the successes of the past (except for the brief exciting period in the 2010s); seen the feats of Redfern Oval...now Redfern rectangle??

This is the conundrum that initially Russell tried to address with his hands on design of merchandise to make Souths cool....Sons of Glory....the drummers and bagpipes...the hoopla that has now disappeared.

We have lost that initial impetus of attracting a younger generation other than our poor kids that have been threatened with being disowned and excluded from inheritance if they even think to support another team!

Being old and decrepit I don't have the solution but to me this is the biggest reason that we don't seem to be growing our membership or gameday attendances.

Shit scheduling of games doesn't help but we need to counter the other alternative attractions and reasons not to attend a game. Most importantly we have to reestablish a winning culture consistently and strike a chord with the younger generation that resonates with making following South Sydney cool...(I know out of date but you get what I'm trying to say).

If we stay as we are anchored to the past glories and not update the message we aren't going to get anywhere; whether based at Accor, Allianz or Redfern. Make our message relevant to a broad cross-section of people.

Our Club and members have to find this magic elixir to attract new blood to the game and our stadia.

Over to you Mr Fixit....fix it.

some very good points there Bunny.

Ill start by asking one question in regards to invigorating/growing our younger supporters base

How much does it cost for a mum & dad with 2 or 3 kids for a season ticket package?

some very good points there Bunny.

Ill start by asking one question in regards to invigorating/growing our younger supporters base

How much does it cost for a mum & dad with 2 or 3 kids for a season ticket package?
also a very good question... so many extraneous factors that impact on this.

I know some people who regularly travel from Nelson Bay. Most times they don’t get home from the game until about 2 in the morning. That is a huge ask for people to do week in week out.

It is so much easier to watch from home. Even more so when you’re not going well.

My choice to go to games is simply I can’t stand watching it from home. During Covid I didn’t get the same enjoyment. Missing being at the grand final was a nightmare. I guess the silver lining in losing for me was that I wasn’t there.
And I get that, I really do. I admire your enthusiasm to be at every game, win, lose or draw - no matter where it is.

I’ve often thought they should do a doco on you and the other fans from other clubs who are at every game. I’d watch it.

My point was that you don’t run around threads judging people’s “fan” status - like a certain poster who’s barely out of nappies.

Yes losing is bad for attendances.

But chalking our attendances cultural woes up to that is shortsighted.

In 2023 we were essentially in the 8 the entire season. Right up until our final round loss. For a large chunk of the year we were in or battling around the top 4.

These are the attendance numbers:

Accor
R4 Manly Sat 18k
R5 Storm Fri 11k
R8 Panthers Thur 19k
R11 Tigers Sat 21k
R13 Raiders Sat 12k
R17 Cowboys Sun 11k
R19 Dogs Sat 16k
—————
R27Roosters Fri 36k

Away From Accor
R12 Eels Fri 27k (Allianz)
R21 Broncos Fri 8k (Sunshine Coast)
R23 Sharks Sat 45k (Perth)
R24 Dragons Sat 8k (Cairns)

So with the exception of the final round of the season, in a game to make the 8 against our perennial rivals (which should have seen 40-50k in attendance), we didn’t crack more than 21k at our home ground of Accor. Despite leading the comp in amongst that period.

The NRL’s schedule has forsaken crowds (except for Brisbane, who get preferential scheduling), the Rabbitohs fan base is aging out, Sydney NRL fans are too comfortable at home with their big screen, the gloss of Accor as a venue has worn off, Sydney siders don’t like going outside in winter (especially if there is even a hint of water about), there’s no atmosphere at any stadium which is only (at our best) 1/4 full. I could go on.

Crowds and live culture attendance is a problem for our club, and has been for a while (it’s been glossed over some because we were coming from a place of strength in the early 10’s).

It’s not 2012-2014 anymore. We aren’t breaking records or being described as the sleeping giants.

At the 2 Roosters games to open Allianz, I was shocked at the average age of Roosters fans, who despite our jibes, were out in attendance. They’ve managed to usher in multiple new generations of fan. We haven’t (at least not ones that want to go watch the game live).

It’s a cultural problem for the club and the NRL.

We managed to develop a culture of membership (~30k, plenty of whom I assume don’t live in Sydney). We need to develop a culture of game day attendance again.

And that shouldn’t be on the shoulders of the elderly or those that have left Sydney. A big Sydney club should have a big group of Sydney-siders, of an engaged age, that want to watch our product live.

Otherwise, what are we doing?
I agree with your post.

A big part of the issue though is that Stadium Australia is a soulless place, stuck in the middle of a soulless precinct, with absolutely no appeal except for big events (60k+), which it does pretty well.

As I get older I also like being around supporters of other clubs less and less - because in the main they're insufferable ****wits.

If I was in the club I'd focus on 2 things:

1) Getting us back to SFS by whatever means necessary, including burning Stadium Australia to the ground if necessary.

2) Because we get a lot of Thursday night and Friday night games, think about the experience for the family of young children.
How do you give a family of 4 or 5 a great night out relatively cheaply. Charging a family over $200 for tickets is absolute madness, particularly when you couple that with outrageous food prices.
You want to get the kids to take the parents, if that makes sense.
Make family tickets under $50 (total). And have some clinic or other activites going on before the game.
For the adults, have reasonably priced food options and the ability to throw the kids into a clinic for an hour or so, so they can relax.

Works with Souths Juniors and you'll have big game crowds again, I reckon.

And I get that, I really do. I admire your enthusiasm to be at every game, win, lose or draw - no matter where it is.

I’ve often thought they should do a doco on you and the other fans from other clubs who are at every game. I’d watch it.

My point was that you don’t run around threads judging people’s “fan” status - like a certain poster who’s barely out of nappies.

I agree with your post.

A big part of the issue though is that Stadium Australia is a soulless place, stuck in the middle of a soulless precinct, with absolutely no appeal except for big events (60k+), which it does pretty well.

As I get older I also like being around supporters of other clubs less and less - because in the main they're insufferable ****wits.

If I was in the club I'd focus on 2 things:

1) Getting us back to SFS by whatever means necessary, including burning Stadium Australia to the ground if necessary.

2) Because we get a lot of Thursday night and Friday night games, think about the experience for the family of young children.
How do you give a family of 4 or 5 a great night out relatively cheaply. Charging a family over $200 for tickets is absolute madness, particularly when you couple that with outrageous food prices.
You want to get the kids to take the parents, if that makes sense.
Make family tickets under $50 (total). And have some clinic or other activites going on before the game.
For the adults, have reasonably priced food options and the ability to throw the kids into a clinic for an hour or so, so they can relax.

Works with Souths Juniors and you'll have big game crowds again, I reckon.

To name just a few possible corrections (you won’t get them all):

- Play in a stadium with a roof
- Play in a stadium with a more reasonable capacity (30-40k)
- Optimise game day experience
- No marquee crowd drawing matches scheduled Thursdays
- Win games
- Win competitions
- Develop perennial rep players
- Make GA admission competitive with going to the movies
- Make child pricing incredibly affordable
- Provide an atmosphere and experience at a live match that can’t be replicated on Tele
- Sort the food out, either make it a foodie event (food trucks and craft beer), or make it a cheap as chips eating option
- Every home game should be special (that’s the marketing teams’s job)
- Play at a stadium that isn’t marooned in a make believe city precinct that not one interested in footy actually lives or works

If the guy in charge of football at the NRL wasn’t so obsessed with bunkers, obstruction, and the judiciary, some of these might get sorted out.

Last edited:
I think the talk about Souths crowds needs its own thread mods.

Move to Allianz or Commbank. There’s your answer.

No one wants to travel to Homebush, have to deal with troublesome parking or loathsome transport to see us play in the middle of a crater.

I swear sometimes I can’t tell the difference between Jye Gray and Tallis Duncan at Accor.

The Club needs to do all it can to move back to Allianz. It might hurt financially in the short term, but in the long run it’ll be worth it.

Having gone through the setup the Roosters have INSIDE Allianz, including their HQ and museum, I can’t see how we’ll move back. It really does look and feel like it’s ‘theirs’

Having gone through the setup the Roosters have INSIDE Allianz, including their HQ and museum, I can’t see how we’ll move back. It really does look and feel like it’s ‘theirs’
They can have the training facilities. I don't care. Heffron is equally as impressive.

But... it's a monumental f**k up that we aren't playing out of a brand new 40k seat stadium in our area.

Move to Allianz or Commbank. There’s your answer.

No one wants to travel to Homebush, have to deal with troublesome parking or loathsome transport to see us play in the middle of a crater.

I swear sometimes I can’t tell the difference between Jye Gray and Tallis Duncan at Accor.

The Club needs to do all it can to move back to Allianz. It might hurt financially in the short term, but in the long run it’ll be worth it.
Dont think we can we are locked into the deal at Accor with no get out clauses. I’ll go wherever we play does not bother me.

As for the transport and parking out of Accor that’s not a problem that’s where it wins easily over Allianz and Commbank where parking is no good at Accor the train station is right there at Commbank it’s nowhere near the ground.

Latest posts

Back