• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Bennett, Bunnies agree terms on $3m deal

Phil

Reaction score

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have reportedly got their man after agreeing a three-year deal to bring Wayne Bennett back to Redfern.

The Sydney Morning Herald first reported the news, with Bennett’s contract worth $3 million.

Although Bennett has not officially signed on, the report claims Rabbitohs powerbrokers will meet with the 74-year-old during Magic Round to seal the deal.

Bennett will return to the club in 2025, four years after he first left to take up the role as the Dolphins’ inaugural head coach.

The deal reportedly includes performance bonuses aligned with South Sydney’s results on the field.

However, Souths officials are reluctant to celebrate Bennett’s homecoming given his history of 11th hour changes of mind, most notably when he left the Roosters hanging to switch to the Dragons in 2008.

Bennett is reportedly also keen on the Eels head coaching role if it becomes available, but Parramatta have so far backed Brad Arthur to turn things around amid an injury crisis.

Souths CEO Blake Solly led the negotiations and was one of several South Sydney officials to meet with Bennett earlier this week.

Souths’ part owner Russell Crowe was not at the meeting, but has in talks with Bennett throughout the courting process.

Souths currently sit in last place on the NRL ladder two weeks after sacking former coach Jason Demetriou, who worked with Bennett as an assistant during his previous three-year tenure with the club from 2019 to 2021.

Bennett took Souths to two preliminary finals and a Grand Final, which Souths lost to the Panthers in his last game in charge at the club.

The Rabbitohs are expected to formally announce the deal after their meeting with Bennett during Magic Round.

beware the smoking gun.....who leaked this to the press?

Maybe a guess ...in which case $3m probably not right
If Souths , Dumb and dumber
If Wayne's insiders , then beware

Does anyone really believe that it is our club who is leaking this stuff. What on earth do we stand to gain?

The constant leaking is a nice symptom of a club with their culture all askew.

The Bennett deal is either a nice swift recovery from JD (or the start of it) or it’s going to fall apart and this will show us how circa 2005/06 we really are.

Ye I don’t see the benefit in the leaks coming from us. If anything Wayne is openly commenting on things and it’s pretty obvious that things are moving in this direction.

The constant leaking is a nice symptom of a club with their culture all askew.

The Bennett deal is either a nice swift recovery from JD (or the start of it) or it’s going to fall apart and this will show us how circa 2005/06 we really are.
You're right Brend, but I seriously hope you're wrong!! (and we aren't 2005 all over again)

I don't know who Wayne's manager is, but these leaks usually come from managers. It is a type of advertising.

No-one at the club would leak the amount of the contract. That is confidential and you would get the player/coach offside really quick. Also, there is a cap for both players and football departments - the last thing any club wants is what people are being paid to be disclosed publicly.

The only time you see a club leak the details of what a player is offered is if they are pissed off at missing out on the signing and want it known what the player rejected to put cap pressure on the other side eg Stuart with Wighton, our club with Sandow.

This stuff - about three years and $1million etc - is all just a crude race by journalists to be the first to break the news. Everyone knew that we would negotiate with Wayne who is the best coach available. The rest is just bullshit.

Happy if it’s true but need to wait until the club makes it official.

Our recruitment drive hopefully gets better with Wayne as head coach

Wayne has denied it and I ****ing hate leaks because we know what happened with him and the scummers.

Is it leaked or the media just assuming it's a done deal.
Definitely the latter IMO. Seriously...what else is likely to happen? He will not be at Redcliffe and Parramatta have denied any interest. If you're a journalist what other outcome is likely to eventuate? You quickly get in first with the "scoop".

I will not be celebrating anything until it's signed and 100% confirmed. While it sounds promising, we know what Wayne is like and there are no guarantees with him. I don't like the sound of him alluding to the David Fifita situation.

I also hate these leaks. It's not a good sign and we know Wayne hates that.

Wayne has denied it and I ****ing hate leaks because we know what happened with him and the scummers.
Wayne also denied he was signing James Roberts

Ever thought Wayne might be the leak.

Latest posts

Back