• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2023 State of Origin

Crichton certainly didn’t stand up in last years series did he? How Staggs was picked ahead of him last year I’ll never know. As good as his attack is it was his defence that was an issue.

Campbell has now played for Australia. Has played in finals and a grand final. It’s not like he doesn’t have the experience.

Only player possibly in front of him outside of the expected 5 would possibly be Wighton.
I wouldn’t expect Graham to star in his first series. Very few players do (certainly not those in Crichton/Graham class).

He played for Australia yes. But with a handful of the guys he is competing against for Origin playing for other countries, and even then he wasn’t selected for the final. Wighton, Mitchell and Addo Carr were.

I’m sure Graham wouldn’t let anyone down, but if he wants to crack a very good NSW backline, it’s going to take more than some good form. And if he wants to own a spot, as I said, we’re talking winning grand finals/Dally M’s. Because that’s his competition.

He played for Australia yes. But with a handful of the guys he is competing against for Origin playing for other countries, and even then he wasn’t selected for the final. Wighton, Mitchell and Addo Carr were.
Considering the starting 5 would consist of Mitchell and Addo-Carr if all fit I also did say Wighton would be ahead of him. Outside of that I don’t think anyone else should be ahead of him.

Considering the starting 5 would consist of Mitchell and Addo-Carr if all fit I also did say Wighton would be ahead of him. Outside of that I don’t think anyone else should be ahead of him.
Why not Crichton? As the incumbent (has had a taste at that level), has a better resume than Graham, and all the reasons they picked him ahead of Graham last year are still there. Panthers connection and he has won a grand final as a winger (like literally won them the grand final) and a centre.

I get Turbo isn’t in form, but we’re assuming that turns around. If not, yes, Graham is probably playing better (but Wighton and Crichton will beat him to that spot).

Agree he should be ahead of Sualii 100%.

I am not sure he should be picked on the wing ahead of Tupou. And To’o is an auto pick.

Simple place to start though, outplay Crichton and To’o this week.

Last edited:
As an aside, I’m fine with them not picking him. Let the Panthers lose another Origin series for NSW.

Murray and Mitchell will have to be there, everyone else stay home, rest up and win us a premiership.

Turbo would only be picked on past deeds as he is a handbrake this year... seems very tentative which is understandable

Why not Crichton? As the incumbent (has had a taste at that level), has a better resume than Graham, and all the reasons they picked him ahead of Graham last year are still there. Panthers connection and he has won a grand final as a winger (like literally won them the grand final) and a centre.

I get Turbo isn’t in form, but we’re assuming that turns around. If not, yes, Graham is probably playing better (but Wighton and Crichton will beat him to that spot).

Agree he should be ahead of Sualii 100%.

I am not sure he should be picked on the wing ahead of Tupou. And To’o is an auto pick.

Simple place to start though, outplay Crichton and To’o this week.
I guess it’s a case of I didn’t think Crichton played well enough last year to keep his spot. I also feel as though Campbell’s form this year off the back of playing for Australia he is banging down the door.

For me with Tupou I think he is just a solid player. Won’t really let you down. But Campbell again in my eyes is in front of him.

In the end it comes down to our own opinions. I am trying not to be bias when it comes to Campbell. I really think his form this year is the reason he deserves to be next in line outside of Wighton if there are any injuries.

The back 5 for me with no injuries would be Teddy, To’o, Latrell, Turbo and JAC. Although on form Campbell should be ahead of Turbo but won’t be.

I personally don’t think that Freddy will pick Campbell. He certainly hasn’t got the selections right over the years.

I’m liking…

1 Walsh
2 Cobbo
3 Holmes
4 Tabui Fidou
5 Gagai
6 Munster
7 Cherry Evans
8 Cotter
9 Grant
10 Welch
11 Kaufusi
12 Capewell
13 Carrigan

14 Faasumaleui
15 Papalii
16 Nanai
17 Hunt
—————
18 Arrow
19 Flegler
20 Fifita
21 Deardon
Papalii, Cotter and Nanai I would leave out this year. Collins in with Arrow and Fleggler.

Outstanding forward pack. With some real stars going to have to be left out.

Agree with backs, although Coates could get the wing spot over Gagai, he then is in competition with Tabui Fidou for a spot in the side at centre.

So who would be the players we definitely will be selected from us? Who are the likely and who would be the possibles?

I have Murray, Mitchell and Cook as the definite selections. I would put Arrow in the likely category and Campbell and Keaon as possibles.

Agree with that.

I’d have Arrow as a likely for some point in the series, but not necessarily game 1.

And who knows which way they’ll go with Cook.

Filter seems a dual hooker fan, so he should be there.

And who knows which way they’ll go with Cook.

Filter seems a dual hooker fan, so he should be there
Cook will be there. I think he will go with the 2 but even if they go with the one I think Freddy will pick him. Api has hurt his chances with going to the Tigers.

Didn’t Wighton withdraw from rep selection recently?

Back