• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

2023 State of Origin

State of Origin is the weirdest concept, competition, in world sport and I just cannot ever get my head around it.

It forever baffles me.

No other sport in the world allows their best players to leave mid-season for a glorified friendly but we....

Ahhh **** it. Same argument every single year.

"We needs the money that state of origin brings" balhblahblah.

As long as it's rugby league, i'd rather 17 jamie russos win us 22 rather than let players go mid-season for tv playthings.

Last edited:
I guess the more important part - our Origin lineup toll:

Incumbents: Latrell, Murray, Arrow, Cook

Maybes: Koloamatangi, Graham, Walker

Games Effected:

R13 Raiders (H) - No Origin Players
R14 Titans (A) - Backing Up (3 Days)
R17 Cowboys (H) - Backing Up (4 Days)
R19 Dogs (H) 1 No Origin Players

Fringe incumbents cover: Taafe, Duncan, Lovett, Mamouzelos

Games Effected:

This. This post right now. This post should never need to happen.

We pay those players. We basically own those players. We should never have to worry about playing without any of them due to any other reasons than personal or injury.

Death to the state of origin.

Games Effected:

R13 Raiders (H) - Papali'i, possibly Wighton missing.
R14 Titans (A) - Tino, Fifita backing Up (3 days)
R17 Cowboys (H) - Holmes, Nanai possibly Cotter, Robson & Dearden, backing Up (4 Days)
R19 Dogs (H) - JAC, possibly Burton missing.

I'll take a stab at what I reckon they'll go with:

1. Tedesco
2. Addo-Carr
3. Mitchell
4. T.Trbojevic
5. To'o
6. Hynes
7. Cleary
8. Haas
9. Koroisau
10. Paulo
11. Murray
12. Martin
13. Ye'o

14. Wighton
15. J.Trbojevic
16. Campbell-Gillard
17. Koloamatangi/Olakau'atu
I’d like to see that team named except for Korisau. Korisau can’t play 80 minutes. Cook is in better form.

Sadly, I think they will stick with Luai at 5/8. Hynes and Wighton will battle it out for the 14 jersey. Otherwise I reckon you’re on the money.

I’m liking…

1 Walsh
2 Cobbo
3 Holmes
4 Tabui Fidou
5 Gagai
6 Munster
7 Cherry Evans
8 Cotter
9 Grant
10 Welch
11 Kaufusi
12 Capewell
13 Carrigan

14 Faasumaleui
15 Papalii
16 Nanai
17 Hunt
—————
18 Arrow
19 Flegler
20 Fifita
21 Deardon

All of a sudden the Queensland side looks so much stronger.

They’ll be doing well if they have the luxury of putting Gagai on a wing. That’s his position at Origin level.

I still can't see why Campbell Graham should not snare a centre spot ahead of out of position fullbacks.

Cheers

I mean, it’s an all star game.

Joey Manu plays centre at the Roosters despite being an elite fullback anywhere else.

If Mitchell, Turbo and Tedesco were in the same side, Turbo and Mitchell would be full time centres. If To’o and Addo Carr were also in that side, Graham would be playing reserve grade.

It’s not that hard to fathom.

His best shot is an Addo Carr injury and beating out Crichton/a Wighton reshuffle.

Or hoping Turbo isn’t fit/in form.

But even then Crichton is probably deservedly ahead of him (as the incumbent) and possibly Wighton too.

Why? Because in the big games that matter of late (namely the 2021 GF), Crichton has pulled out the big play and Graham has generally been on the end of an unfortunate defensive play (as good as he is in that regard) and on the losing side.

He’s in very good form at the moment and doing everything necessary to be in the mix.

The good news is, he’s 23. If he keeps it up, his time will come.

Matt Cooper was 25 before he cracked the NSW side as a defensive centre.

John Sutton never did. So Graham isn’t exactly hard done by at this stage.

Play like he is and star in a grand final win or win the Dally M (like the other guys ahead of him have ALL done) and he’ll get picked.

Last edited:
Crichton certainly didn’t stand up in last years series did he? How Staggs was picked ahead of him last year I’ll never know. As good as his attack is it was his defence that was an issue.

Campbell has now played for Australia. Has played in finals and a grand final. It’s not like he doesn’t have the experience.

Only player possibly in front of him outside of the expected 5 would possibly be Wighton.

Back