• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Winning It From the Bottom Half of the Eight

Illias was in our top 3 players last week and after a one point loss he's being written off . The ruck was being slowed down and the defence was up in his face . He'll learn a lot from that game. The referees are having a massive influence on results with the game being sped up. I think the good coaches now need to go into games with three or four game plans just to adjust to the referee's mood these days.

We arnt mentally strong enough or well drilled enough to win it.

A lot of these guys have scars from last year. The hunger will be there. It won't take much to get them up if we make it again.

A lot of these guys have scars from last year. The hunger will be there. It won't take much to get them up if we make it again.
We just went consistent enough. We keep waiting for it. No way we beat four top 8 teams to win it from position 5-8

We just went consistent enough. We keep waiting for it. No way we beat four top 8 teams to win it from position 5-8
I'm backing them from what I've seen. We were streets above both Melbourne and Cronulla ( give or take a botched field goal ), Cowboys at the end of the day are making up numbers like Brisbane and we lost last year to Penrith because of a dodgy ref in the bunker and no Latrell . I've been positive about this team for near on 60 years , no point listening to negative vibes now. I also haven't given up on top 4.

Last edited:
Well it could be an interesting ride to win it from 5 - 8. Yes four wins in a row against top class opposition and that might include going to Townsville or (gulp) Melbourne.

The first game will be very winnable then they get progressively harder. But we haven't played badly in recent weeks - our pack can steamroll most sides and with Campbell Graham returning the backline looks much better. I think the key will be the halves and the level of Latrell's involvement.

Cheers

I think we are fine with the first part you mention. The second though is a concern. That’s twice now this year we have put ourselves in a position to win it with a field goal only to miss it.

Funnily we have seen Latrell nail it from quite a range. I have seen Ilias nail them when he played Flegg. Didn’t look like missing. That’s where we should have gone. Especially the 3rd time.

On our day we can probably beat any team, but not consistent enough to win several games in a row against quality opposition.
If we were top 4 I'd give us a chance, but I can't see that happening. We have lost too many games we should have won.

If we were top 4 I'd give us a chance, but I can't see that happening. We have lost too many games we should have won.
I think that is the story of our year. The loss the other night hurt. It didn’t have to though had we won the games we should have. Losing to the Tigers, Raiders and Dragons is what will cost us a top 4 spot. Hopefully it doesn’t cost us a top 8 spot.

I think we are fine with the first part you mention. The second though is a concern. That’s twice now this year we have put ourselves in a position to win it with a field goal only to miss it.

Funnily we have seen Latrell nail it from quite a range. I have seen Ilias nail them when he played Flegg. Didn’t look like missing. That’s where we should have gone. Especially the 3rd time.
This is an excellent train of thought.

Reynolds had essentially perfected the field goal play and was very good at directing the team to where he wanted them to go on the field to set up. I used to quietly laugh at other teams in situations where a field goal was needed because they would look absolutely hopeless.

This probably isn't something Cody, Latrell or Lachlan have thought about, whereas Adam spent 10 years perfecting it. If there were games in Golden Point and Adam was playing, I was never worried. We may have lost a game or two in extra time with Adam, but it generally wasn't down to ill preparation and more often that not it was because of a mistake or a good play by the opposition.

In my opinion, setting up for a field goal is something that our entire spine need to be on the same page about - if this is not something the boys have prepared for, they should start this week at training. They really need to think about it.

I was also a little disappointed that Ilias did not have a crack. I feel as though this is because Latrell was putting his hand up to take responsibility. Yes, we know he can do it but he also did miss three on the weekend. It's time for Ilias to take greater responsibility - I back the kid.

This probably isn't something Cody, Latrell or Lachlan have thought about, whereas Adam spent 10 years perfecting it. If there were games in Golden Point and Adam was playing, I was never worried. We may have lost a game or two in extra time with Adam, but it generally wasn't down to ill preparation and more often that not it was because of a mistake or a good play by the opposition.
I was on the same line of thinking as you when it came to Adam and golden point but when I looked at the stats yesterday I was quite shocked to see how often we lost.

I think we all remember the 3 field goals he kicked against the Dragons in the semis. Each one harder than the previous. I think all but one of his field goals were kicked in regulation.

The only golden point field goal Adam kicked to win the game for us was against the Dragons in 2012. To be fair to him it should have been the Titans in Perth as well. Only for our marker to take out the Titans player when he got the field goal.

I have seen him miss from right in front. I have also seen him nail them from 40 out to tie the game.

One thing I do know though. Is he would be the one demanding the ball and not Latrell. This is where we need Lachlan to be better. Latrell should be second option if they rush Ilias. Or Latrell for the long range ones.

History shows that teams in the top 4 win the comp. But that is because they are the better teams.

From a particular team's perspective - in terms of what you have to do to win the comp once you are in the finals - there really isn't that much difference.

The only real difference is that the winning teams in the top 4 get a weekend off. Otherwise you have to face a similar level of opponent through the finals series, and usually have to win three matches against top 4 teams.

I must say the disappointment I felt watching Golden Point made me stay away from posting.

It still hurts.

There are things I understand and reluctantly accept - such as an older leader commanding the ball over a rookie to ice out the game. Then there is the perception that they had no idea how to position themselves for a field goal - this includes having a back up kicker if your primary kicker is being rushed. The latter really pisses me off because it is a coaching issue and should have been dealt with by this time of the year.

I have now seen enough to confidently say that the way the side has been coached is to put the big plays in the hands of the experienced players in the spine. Understandable and probably the right approach when your senior spine players are of the calibre of Latts, Walker and Cook. The problem is that this will become easy to defend. It may also affect the confidence of your rookie half.

I saw Ilias kick field goals to win lower grade games - he can kick them. For goodness sake use him.

I don't want to overanalyse the Sharks game - in the end it was a golden point loss and came after four really good performances from our spine. The spine was poor in the Sharks game but at least the result keeps us focussed on areas that need a lot of work.

I would like to see in our next games, a better structure around last tackle options and if a field goal is needed, more composure and a plan that allows multiple options.

Back