• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Will AJ be the greatest all time try scorer?

Will AJ be the greatest try scorer of all time?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
100% that’s a pitch invasion moment. Stop the game, embrace the moment, put him up on your shoulders.

There aren’t many records held in higher esteem than Ken Irvine’s all time try scoring record.

It’s one that as a kid I remember people saying ‘would never be broken’.
Here comes Sir Alex!

Ferguson? No! Johnston!

The better question is, did Alex do the knighting post try celebration in order to launch his ‘Sir Alex’ moniker?

If so, we’ll played Sir.

Injury would be the only thing that would prevent him from here you would think. The same thing happened to Billy Slater.

He is now 55 tries behind Irvine. You would think by the end of the season he would be less than 50 behind him.

The re-signing of Latrell and Cody are also important to this. Having both them feeding him the ball you would think he would continue on scoring 20+ tries a season for the next few seasons.

They mentioned on the Sunday Footy Show that it will be the first time in the game’s history a player has 5 seasons with 20+ tries. Blacklock previously has 4 such seasons.

With between 6 and 10 games left in his season, he might still have back-to-back 30 try seasons (needs 11 more). In current touch, I’m not putting it past him.

It would be great to see AJ one or two tries off scoring the most ever and then Souths and the NRL really promoting the next match we have. It would be awesome for it to be a home game and have a bumper crowd for AJ.

What do you think? Will he achieve greatness?

Personally, if injuries are kind to him over the next few years, I can’t see how he doesn’t do it.
People should look at The Fox too. 6 months younger than AJ & shooting up the list, not far behind.

People should look at The Fox too. 6 months younger than AJ & shooting up the list, not far behind.
Even with the Fox, he has a career 79% strike rate compared to 85% for AJ. Throw in the 40 games head start and AJ will maintain the gap. As has been pointed out, that 85% is even allowing for the time spent at fullback.

As a fulltime winger, he’s on another level.

They mentioned on the Sunday Footy Show that it will be the first time in the game’s history a player has 5 seasons with 20+ tries. Blacklock previously has 4 such seasons.

With between 6 and 10 games left in his season, he might still have back-to-back 30 try seasons (needs 11 more). In current touch, I’m not putting it past him.
Brett Morris has done it 6 times. They are probably talking about for the one club there.

Even with the Fox, he has a career 79% strike rate compared to 85% for AJ. Throw in the 40 games head start and AJ will maintain the gap. As has been pointed out, that 85% is even allowing for the time spent at fullback.

As a fulltime winger, he’s on another level.
Good point about the time spent at fullback.

Brett Morris has done it 6 times. They are probably talking about for the one club there.
Brett Morris? I don’t thing so. I think you’re looking at how many times Brett Morris played 20 games in a season? That’s 6. He only scored 20+ tries in a season twice.

You’re right. I was looking at the games played. Thought that was strange. I think by the time he retires there will only be 2 try scoring records he doesn’t hold. Most tries in a game and most tries in a season. Although it’s a shame he was injured for those games last season because he would have gone close with that one.

The way he is going, he might not be far off Irvine by the end of next year.

If Cody and Trell are around for the next 2-3 seasons he will do it easily

If we lose either he’s no chance

Will AJ be the greatest all time try scorer? Easily.

Latest posts

Back