• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Souths and the Referendum

Ive spent heaps of hours reading articles, watching debates and stories on this topic.

Its so clear that not only is Australia divided, the Aboriginal community is divided on this topic.

Thats why I dont understand the need to give a position.

We are a sporting organisation. Stay neutral. Stay respectful as we always have been.
This is incorrect. The indigenous communit it not divided as much as people think. We hear from the muddines of the world who get media intention.

Better Results for Indigenous health, education, employment and housing, so people have a better life. Protecting the Voice from politics and bureaucrats by putting it in the constitution. Over 80% of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community support the Voice.

Because they believe it is the right thing to do.

Just cause it isn't popular foe

Because people making the decisions for indigenous are not working. I'm sorry but I would have no idea what indigenous people need or want. And I would guess neither do the majority of politians. Atm depending on the government and who is in power they decide to listen or not. Governments come in and out and we start over again.

Good lord Dutton has shown how he would listen to the indigenous through this process.
All the different governments set up commissions, bodies , projects etc. They all have different ranges of people from society and all include indigenous leaders and voices from many areas.

A great example is one of the lead founders and architects of “The Voice” Noel Pearson. Lots of funding, lots of input, no accountability!!!

Accountability is the key, not another layer of governance based on race. Fund need and make it accountable!

lol , dark history again ignoring today.

I simply believe that EVERY baby born today , should have the same VOICE as any other. No one should be special.

The same rights under the law , the same rights for an education , healthcare and a VOTE in our democracy.

The other point about the Voice vote that irks me is this .........if YES won, who actually have the "voice" and why do we assume they will be any more reflective of their people than the current processes ? For me it just means more political power posturing , more expense which could be better be spent on current programs for outback communities that need it.

There is already SO much benefit given to indigenous people , this should be the focus and ensuring money spent is spent on the people who actually need it.I got surprised that I just find out that some wealthy friends , who have children in private school , have claimed "indigenous" blood somewhere in the family ( never heard of this for the years that I knew them , never would gave guessed) and now they get university entrance special treatment.

Every baby born in Australia deserves the SAME entitlement. Nothing more , nothing less.
Omg. Do me a favour Research the issues of ingenious babies versus non indigenous.

I'm a teacher and I learnt early that equality does not mean equity.

Not everyone should have the same.

We didn't steal the countries of those people, or poison them, put bounties on them, enslave them, steal their children and not allow them to speak their own language. That's a terrible analogy, seriously.
Why ? WE DO NOT do any of these past acts now.

The past is done , the future is here .

Why do YES supporters focus on the past deeds which have already been addressed ?

if anyone wants a voice , simple use our democracy.

Omg. Do me a favour Research the issues of ingenious babies versus non indigenous.

I'm a teacher and I learnt early that equality does not mean equity.

Not everyone should have the same.
OMG your a teacher.

The very fact there is RESEARCH means that people are focusing on issues like this. Slowly but surely.

AND if you bother to check , NOT everyone gets the same now.
There is more emphasis to provide support to Indigenous people now ..........every form / application for any benefits/applications specifically asks about indigenous background.

Reactions: CCR
Who is paying for ALL the YES advertising ? money that could be spent on the outback communities that actually need it versus their part blood city slickers who actually do not need any more preferential treatment

Why do YES supporters focus on the past deeds which have already been addressed ?

You'd have to ask YES voters if you want to know how they feel, I can't answer for them.

I will finish with if you don't know the history of the indigenous people, what they went through, are still going through and why some specific indigenous issues remain and need to be fixed, I can't help you, it will only drag out into an arguement and I'm not in the mood..

This is incorrect. The indigenous communit it not divided as much as people think. We hear from the muddines of the world who get media intention.

Better Results for Indigenous health, education, employment and housing, so people have a better life. Protecting the Voice from politics and bureaucrats by putting it in the constitution. Over 80% of the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community support the Voice.

As I said, ive spent hours trying to educate myself, predominantly trying to listen to indigenous Australians rather than white Australian businessmen, because its their opinion that matters most for this referendum.

To me, their is a clear split.

Omg

Australia makes me so proud.

As I said, ive spent hours trying to educate myself, predominantly trying to listen to indigenous Australians rather than white Australian businessmen, because its their opinion that matters most for this referendum.

To me, their is a clear split.
Yet they evidence says there isn't.

Back