• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Souths and the Referendum

The club have just released a statement supporting the yes vote.

Not sure how I feel about this.

Interesting considering my comment on the membership thread about pushing political agendas.

Not sure its needed.

Big news and statement either way
A real shame they would get involved. The polls are saying it’s about 50% NO, 40% YES and 10% undecided.

Why would our club get involved in a divisive issue that only 40% of the nation is for ?

A bit like some of society’s most immoral companys preaching to the plebs……

You know BHP, Qantas, Coles, Woolworths, Bunnings, etc etc. if they are all supporting it , often the direct response from the average Joe Public is to go the opposite direction.
No ethnic group or subculture in the country would be unanimous about anything. It's a spurous argument to suggest that the indiginous community should have to be unanimous on the Voice (or anything else). And for the record: the Liberal Party is NOT unanimous in supporting the NO vote. My local Liberal Member and party leader Mark Speakman supports YES.

Yeah cause we are like the indigenous. We had children stolen. Homes destroyed. Kids buried and their heads kicked off. We have had generations of abuse that has made significant health issues for 9ur culture.

I'm lebanese and I have gone through nothing like the indigenous have and to even suggest we need a voice is ridiculous. But all to their own.

This is the problem.

You are voting and supporting YES because of the PAST and then rattle off some of the worst facts about the past.

What about rattling some of the good facts from past and present for all Australians.

The vote should be about the future and the future for mine is ALL Australians have a voice in our democracy.

Yeah cause we are like the indigenous. We had children stolen. Homes destroyed. Kids buried and their heads kicked off. We have had generations of abuse that has made significant health issues for 9ur culture.

I'm lebanese and I have gone through nothing like the indigenous have and to even suggest we need a voice is ridiculous. But all to their own.
We need to help , fund, assist need not “race”

Most importantly the funding of indigenous communities and peoples needs to have accountability and ministers, leaders and organizations need to be transparent and be made accountable for every decision and dollar spent.

We need to help , fund, assist need not “race”

Most importantly the funding of indigenous communities and peoples needs to have accountability and ministers, leaders and organizations need to be transparent and be made accountable for every decision and dollar spent.
So how does an advisory board stop any if this happening? Just wondering.

The board does not give our funding or land rights.

Your argument shows you don't understand it.

This is the problem.

You are voting and supporting YES because of the PAST and then rattle off some of the worst facts about the past.

What about rattling some of the good facts from past and present for all Australians.

The vote should be about the future and the future for mine is ALL Australians have a voice in our democracy.
Anyone that thinks the past has had nothing to do with the current situation that are in is just stupid.

Have you had something so disastrous since your time in Australia? Yes or no? Have you had generations of issues since you arrived.

Why don't you google American Indians and nz mouries and see for yourself. Colonisation has had the same impact on races in multiple countries. Your inability to understand this is the issue.

A real shame they would get involved. The polls are saying it’s about 50% NO, 40% YES and 10% undecided.

Why would our club get involved in a divisive issue that only 40% of the nation is for ?

You know BHP, Qantas, Coles, Woolworths, Bunnings, etc etc. if they are all supporting it , often the direct response from the average Joe Public is to go the opposite direction.
Because they believe it is the right thing to do.

Just cause it isn't popular does not mean it's not right.

So how does an advisory board stop any if this happening? Just wondering.

The board does not give our funding or land rights.

Your argument shows you don't understand it.
Why do you need an advisory board to make this happen. It should happen without it ?

Is this “Voice” to help and fix Aboriginal disadvantage and underachievement in society?

Because they believe it is the right thing to do.

Just cause it isn't popular foe
Why do you need an advisory board to make this happen. It should happen without it ?

Is this “Voice” to help and fix Aboriginal disadvantage and underachievement in society?
Because people making the decisions for indigenous are not working. I'm sorry but I would have no idea what indigenous people need or want. And I would guess neither do the majority of politians. Atm depending on the government and who is in power they decide to listen or not. Governments come in and out and we start over again.

Good lord Dutton has shown how he would listen to the indigenous through this process.

Ive spent heaps of hours reading articles, watching debates and stories on this topic.

Its so clear that not only is Australia divided, the Aboriginal community is divided on this topic.

Thats why I dont understand the need to give a position.

We are a sporting organisation. Stay neutral. Stay respectful as we always have been.

No , everyone already has a voice.

I recall a song WE ARE ONE , WE ARE AUSTRALIAN.

If you think YES , then What about a voice for NZers in Australia , Greeks in Australia , Jews in Australia , English in Australia , Irish in Australia , Chinese in Australia , Vietnamese in Australia , South Africans in Australia , Papua New Guinea folk in Australia , Indonesian in Australia
We didn't steal the countries of those people, or poison them, put bounties on them, enslave them, steal their children and not allow them to speak their own language. That's a terrible analogy, seriously.

lol , dark history again ignoring today.

I simply believe that EVERY baby born today , should have the same VOICE as any other. No one should be special.

The same rights under the law , the same rights for an education , healthcare and a VOTE in our democracy.

The other point about the Voice vote that irks me is this .........if YES won, who actually have the "voice" and why do we assume they will be any more reflective of their people than the current processes ? For me it just means more political power posturing , more expense which could be better be spent on current programs for outback communities that need it.

There is already SO much benefit given to indigenous people , this should be the focus and ensuring money spent is spent on the people who actually need it.I got surprised that I just find out that some wealthy friends , who have children in private school , have claimed "indigenous" blood somewhere in the family ( never heard of this for the years that I knew them , never would gave guessed) and now they get university entrance special treatment.

Every baby born in Australia deserves the SAME entitlement. Nothing more , nothing less.

Reactions: CCR
Back