• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Round 4: Other Matches

Small fullback and two nugget wingers. When can we find one? Even Jacob Kiraz, the most awkward runner of the footy ever yet so effective. I dream for a demon winger coming out of our end.
I still want to know how they can do that consistently and look like they've been strolling on a treadmill for 15 minutes

It's eerie how much that finished mirrored our game vs the Storm in Round 2 last year. We scored late vs the Storm in Round 2 to get to 2 points behind, Latrell nails a 45m field goal with 20 seconds to go to tie it up, we did something dumb in the first minute of extra time, and the Storm kicked a field goal to win it.

Almost a carbon copy finish. Difference last night was a top match from start to finish where our game vs the Storm was a stinker until the final 10 mins.

Penrith didn't charge Moses when he took his kick, in fact they all stopped still. Very unlike the chocolate soldiers.

Have to credit Moses 975 kick metres.
Great post and important stat. Along with the high completion rate it was a big reason for the win

Even when they struggled for yardage Moses was able to kick them out of trouble, forcing the Panthers back to work it off their line

It’s why Lachy needs to be working weekly with an AFL punt coach. He needs to learn how to turn teams around

Particularly Penrith

Counter point - Penrith's back 3 made 800 metres, a huge amount of which were from kick returns.

A big long kick, followed by a 20m kick return is in essence the same thing as a mid-field bomb where the tackler is hit on receiving the ball. Both result in tackle 1 being around the 30m line, however with the bomb they're not playing tackle 2 with momentum as they would after a big kick return. In fact we restricted the Panthers to less running metres in our match than the Eels did.

The long kick is great when you want to tire out the fullback and wingers (i.e. works on guys like Trell) but no so much the Panthers back 3 who never bloody tire.

Counter point - Penrith's back 3 made 800 metres, a huge amount of which were from kick returns.

A big long kick, followed by a 20m kick return is in essence the same thing as a mid-field bomb where the tackler is hit on receiving the ball. Both result in tackle 1 being around the 30m line, however with the bomb they're not playing tackle 2 with momentum as they would after a big kick return. In fact we restricted the Panthers to less running metres in our match than the Eels did.

The long kick is great when you want to tire out the fullback and wingers (i.e. works on guys like Trell) but no so much the Panthers back 3 who never bloody tire.
It also comes down to who to kick to. We repeatedly kick to guys who are superb when it comes to diffusing bombs, waiting for a mistake. Surely some common sense here or a message from the coaching box. In many of these instances I'd prefer to see Lachie or Cody kicking for open space or long grubbers. Another example would be Latrell trying short dropouts to tall opposition wingers. Minimal chance of recovery, so put it away and kick long or for the touchline.

Penrith didn't charge Moses when he took his kick, in fact they all stopped still. Very unlike the chocolate soldiers.
Cleary mentioned that the ref called at least one of them offside.

Game if the year.

High quality from bother teams. Unbelievable completion rates.

close game but I thought it lacked a lot. Must have been thousands of passes along the ground or behind blokes. Both sides were clunky. The kicking was rubbish as well

the thing that stood out to me was the lack of speed from the panthers forwards compared to what they served up against us. Both attack & defense looked sluggish.
Yeo seemed to come to life in the last 10

totally agree. The lack of variety wasn’t by design. Just dumb.
his short kick on the panthers try line was poor as well.

Where was Cleary’s big floating Bob be he put up against us

Last edited:
I went along to one of my (many) medical tests today. The technician who carried it out is a Wests Tigers supporter who is going tonight. She was not confident.

Cheers

Small fullback and two nugget wingers. When can we find one? Even Jacob Kiraz, the most awkward runner of the footy ever yet so effective. I dream for a demon winger coming out of our end.
Mansour, Milne, Thompson, what more do you want? :p

Rugby League is a funny game. Outside of the Grand Final last year Panthers really struggle against the Eels. We just can’t get past the Panthers. Yet the Eels can’t even get close to us.

It’s almost like a game of rock paper scissors.

Back