• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Match Discussion Round 18: Rabbitohs v Eels

Some great footage of the captain's run there. Loving looking at this sort of stuff. The boys look happy, relaxed, but also ready and raring to go for tomorrow. I'm so keen!!

So Benny all but confirms Keaon will remain in the middle and Cam will play edge tomorrow night. It's mainly to burden Cam's load during Origin and provides the 'least disruption,' in Benny's words. I'm happy with that though, glad to see they've stuck with that combination.

Tomorrow night we get the chance to step up again and boy, I can't wait!!

Last edited:
That makes sense but I won't be surprised to see him in the middle at some stage during the game.

It amuses me that one of the best players in Australia and a regular Mr Niceguy is referred to as "a disruption" by the coach. Could be just my warped sense of humour.
Yeah, at some point Chee Kam will come on, Murray goes to lock and Keaon to prop.

How about Moses helps his team. They style in that he played last week was in stark contrast to how he played in origin 2
Be careful what you wish for

Tomorrow should be a good test to see where our defence is really at

The Eels have been attacking quite well but defending shite

Moses and Brown on the edges up against Kennar and Milne should be interesting

MURRAY’S BACK ROW SWITCH

Cameron Murray was named to return for the Rabbitohs after Game II Origin duties, and many expected him to return to the No.13 jersey.

But instead, South Sydney’s captain and arguably their most consistent player, has been shifted to the back row with Keaon Koloamatangi retaining his position at lock.

Murray has played 124 games at lock, 25 off the bench and eight in the backrow since making his NRL debut in 2017.

Meanwhile, Koloamatangi has played 76 times on an edge and only five times at lock, having played at lock in the Rabbitohs’ last four games.

The big decision made by interim Ben Hornby is almost definitely being influenced by incoming master coach Wayne Bennett.

He reportedly told Hornby to shift Koloamatangi to the middle of the park, a move that’s inspired the Rabbitohs to four-straight wins after losing six games on the trot.

So what does that move mean for Murray?

The lock position has become an integral part of the spine in modern rugby league, but edge forwards have a different role.

It’s one of the hardest defensive positions and Murray has the ability to hold his own in the back row, showing that for the NSW Blues in the past.

Meanwhile, edge forwards are also a focal point in attack, and there’s not many better hole runners than the Rabbitohs skipper.

Murray now has an opportunity to become one of the competition’s premier edge forwards, and he could provide a whole new dynamic to the Rabbitohs attack.

Combining with the dangerous trio of Jack Wighton, Cody Walker and Latrell Mitchell, Murray becomes yet another lethal option during try-scoring plays.

A switch to the backrow could also reduce Murray’s workload, who has previously shouldered the load in the middle of the park for South Sydney.

So are there any negatives to Murray’s back row switch? It doesn’t look like it.

If Murray does play on the edge regularly then will he be an 80 min forward? How many mins would he play?

And forget about that dogs breakfast that is called a scrum nowadays. First 9 players that turn up are in.
First 9?
That is a dog's breakfast.
Remember that tree that was in the outfield in a cricket ground in England?
And they left it there because, well, it's always been there?
The Rugby League scrum is the tree in the outfield.

Ahhhhhh…. Have just woken up on a glorious Thursday morning pumped up and ready to go for some Thursday night Footy! Get up, get moving and get your colours on ladies and gentlemen because it’s game day!!! That’s right, we take on the Eels tonight out west at their shiny home ground. There’s a lot on the line and still a lot to prove for both clubs so it could well be a cracker.

I know Parra are running last but waking up and having my first thoughts about the game today, this still feels like a big game. It doesn’t feel like a game we should win based on current form. It feels like we’re going up against a quality side full of strike who are going to be fired up and ready to take it to us. And you know what? I think that’s exactly what this is going to be. As I said, yea, the Eels are coming 17th but honestly, that means nothing tonight. They won’t be thinking about that, and we shouldn’t be either.

A big reason why the Eels currently are where they are, is because they’ve been without Moses and Gutherson for so long. That is not the case in this one. Both are back, and Moses in particular is in good form. He’s just come off the back of a man-of-the-match in Game 2 of Origin, and he’s not backing up in this one, he’ll be fresh and prepped properly. That’s a bit scary if I’m honest. I’m expecting a big game from him tonight against us, and that in itself is enough to make the Eels a different prospect. Ditto Gutherson.

Look, they are way to good of a team to be sitting where they are. They have one of the most dangerous halves pairings in the comp, and still boast one hell of a pack that can get on top of anyone on their day. If they turn up with the right attitude, anything can happen for them.

For us, this is another big mental game, and it will tell us a lot about where we’re really at. If we’re poor and come out with a complacent attitude, we’ll know we’ve been focusing too much on their ladder position, and that is a sign that our team is still mentally weak. But turn up and put in the type of commitment, attitude, intent, application, focus an effort that we have been, and then I really think we could start to get excited. That’s what we must do tonight, just carry on as we have been. That’s not an easy thing to do.

I’m excited for Trell and Cam back, that’s huge for us. I hope all our big stars can put on a show.

Big game out there at CommBank tonight against one of our bigger Sydney rivals! Time to stand up and keep this roll going.

Let’s goooooo lads!!!!

Glory, Glory.

I am going to be at Auckland Airport tonight on my way home to Sydney from a conference.
I hope Auckland Airport has a pub where I can watch the game . 🙏

I am going to be at Auckland Airport tonight on my way home to Sydney from a conference.
I hope Auckland Airport has a pub where I can watch the game . 🙏
I just asked one of my well travelled friends. Apparently there is in the international airport and has few big screens. If so, then for sure sky sports would be on.

Back