• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Mate my family member who suffered the worst had a broken clavicle, hip, fractured skull and eye socket.

Maybe the rules are different in QLD. I hope so.

But the drunken parasite who also ended up on the wrong side of the road and ran up a footpath walked away with an additional 12 months suspension and a $2.5k fine

This is despite numerous witnesses testifying to his erratic and dangerous driving before it happened and NSW police crash investigation unit spending numerous resources to discredit the loop hole

End of the day, judge couldn’t be convinced
Let me assure you as a Queenslander, the court system up here is and has been totally farcical,disgraceful, disgusting...think I have made my point.
So if its like so many other times, a slap albeit a solid slap on the wrist and a warning will be about it. This is my opinion only based on what has happened in the last few years under labour.
And I expect a few of the usual cards to be played hete too. Say no more.

I expressed in a post recently about the effectiveness of our leadership group.
Hard for some of our senior players to pull others up on off field misdeeds...not to mention commitment to training and fitness etc isn’t it???
I exclude Murray here, but he needs real tough support with some of the strong personalities at the club.
Or do we just leave this to WB too?
So. he has to be senior coach, recruitment guy, father/mother figure to many players, good cop/bad cop,
team strategist ... and on it goes...
I have stayed previously that he has to be freed up to do what he does best for us to achieve our limits.
So, much of the tough love must come from assistant coaches and conditioning staff...imo.
As a corollary, other have mentioned the apparent situation at the Broncos to the effect that...players seem to run the place...
Well, Broncos have similar issue i believe with their senior leadership group... especially since Capewell left them.
I mean, which of their senior players is in the position to speak authoritatively to other players with a clean recent record??? Cant think of too many...

I expressed in a post recently about the effectiveness of our leadership group.
Hard for some of our senior players to pull others up on off field misdeeds...not to mention commitment to training and fitness etc isn’t it???
I exclude Murray here, but he needs real tough support with some of the strong personalities at the club.
Or do we just leave this to WB too?
So. he has to be senior coach, recruitment guy, father/mother figure to many players, good cop/bad cop,
team strategist ... and on it goes...
I have stayed previously that he has to be freed up to do what he does best for us to achieve our limits.
So, much of the tough love must come from assistant coaches and conditioning staff...imo.
As a corollary, other have mentioned the apparent situation at the Broncos to the effect that...players seem to run the place...
Well, Broncos have similar issue i believe with their senior leadership group... especially since Capewell left them.
I mean, which of their senior players is in the position to speak authoritatively to other players with a clean recent record??? Cant think of too many...
Let’s hope this guy Wayne knows what he is doing then eh….

Let me assure you as a Queenslander, the court system up here is and has been totally farcical,disgraceful, disgusting...think I have made my point.
So if its like so many other times, a slap albeit a solid slap on the wrist and a warning will be about it. This is my opinion only based on what has happened in the last few years under labour.
And I expect a few of the usual cards to be played hete too. Say no more.

I don’t think political parties determine these kinds of laws, the judicial process where societal issues around drugs, alcohol, violence etc aren’t determined by what political party is in power, you're treating highly educated judges as mugs

I don’t think political parties determine these kinds of laws, the judicial process where societal issues around drugs, alcohol, violence etc aren’t determined by what political party is in power, you're treating highly educated judges as mugs
Governments legislate the laws including minimum sentencing that judges are obliged to adhere to.
Just because judges are highly educated does not mean that rhey will be highly effective in their rulings.
So many rulings just leave so many of us shaking our heads....and repeat offenders released to repeat their offences... and repeat they do ...so often.
Anyway, im sort of sorry i said anything in response to a previous point that was raised
...not because I dont support what i have said, but because I am not sure politics and related bodies belong in this site.

Mam has voluntarily entered rehab to help him overcome personal issues. He is also deeply remorseful and the club concedes he has lost his way.

Governments legislate the laws including minimum sentencing that judges are obliged to adhere to.
Just because judges are highly educated does not mean that rhey will be highly effective in their rulings.
So many rulings just leave so many of us shaking our heads....and repeat offenders released to repeat their offences... and repeat they do ...so often.
Anyway, im sort of sorry i said anything in response to a previous point that was raised
...not because I dont support what i have said, but because I am not sure politics and related bodies belong in this site.

I think you’ll find that the NSW law reform commission acts on sentencing & im pretty sure they are independent

• The New South Wales Law Reform Commission in its comprehensive 1996 report on sentencing recommended against limiting judicial sentencing discretion by grid sentencing or by minimum sentences. In the Commission's view, efforts to reduce any sentencing disparity should concentrate on the review of sentences by appeal courts, the Judicial Commission's sentencing information system, and the provision of clear reasons for sentences by the sentencing court (pages 15-17).
  • New South Wales has introduced mandatory life sentences for murder and certain drug trafficking offences where a court is satisfied that the level of culpability is extreme. The judicial sentencing discretion is also affected by the recent decision of the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal to issue its first formal guideline judgment. To promote the development of further guideline judgments, the NSW Government has indicated it is considering allowing the Court to establish guidelines without linking them to individual cases (pages 23-28).
  • The Northern Territory has recently implemented mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment for some property offences; for adults, the sentences range from 14 days prison for a first offence, to 12 months for a third or more offence (pages 28-32). Western Australia has also implemented mandatory minimum terms of 12 months imprisonment for third (or more) repeat home burglaries. The Western Australian Government is also planning to introduce a presumptive sentencing matrix' in the near future (pages 32-34). In the United Kingdom legislation in 1997 introduced mandatory minimum prison sentences (with limited exceptions) for certain repeated offences: an automatic life sentence on a second conviction for a serious sexual or violent offence; and a mandatory minimum seven-year sentence for serious three-time repeat drug dealers
Also the Constitution balances the law-making power between Federal and State Governments. The Federal Government has the power to legislate with regard to issues such as defence, taxation and immigration, whilst State Governments can make laws in areas such as roads, hospitals, and schools

I think you’ll find that the NSW law reform commission acts on sentencing & im pretty sure they are independent

• The New South Wales Law Reform Commission in its comprehensive 1996 report on sentencing recommended against limiting judicial sentencing discretion by grid sentencing or by minimum sentences. In the Commission's view, efforts to reduce any sentencing disparity should concentrate on the review of sentences by appeal courts, the Judicial Commission's sentencing information system, and the provision of clear reasons for sentences by the sentencing court (pages 15-17).
  • New South Wales has introduced mandatory life sentences for murder and certain drug trafficking offences where a court is satisfied that the level of culpability is extreme. The judicial sentencing discretion is also affected by the recent decision of the New South Wales Court of Criminal Appeal to issue its first formal guideline judgment. To promote the development of further guideline judgments, the NSW Government has indicated it is considering allowing the Court to establish guidelines without linking them to individual cases (pages 23-28).
  • The Northern Territory has recently implemented mandatory minimum terms of imprisonment for some property offences; for adults, the sentences range from 14 days prison for a first offence, to 12 months for a third or more offence (pages 28-32). Western Australia has also implemented mandatory minimum terms of 12 months imprisonment for third (or more) repeat home burglaries. The Western Australian Government is also planning to introduce a presumptive sentencing matrix' in the near future (pages 32-34). In the United Kingdom legislation in 1997 introduced mandatory minimum prison sentences (with limited exceptions) for certain repeated offences: an automatic life sentence on a second conviction for a serious sexual or violent offence; and a mandatory minimum seven-year sentence for serious three-time repeat drug dealers
Also the Constitution balances the law-making power between Federal and State Governments. The Federal Government has the power to legislate with regard to issues such as defence, taxation and immigration, whilst State Governments can make laws in areas such as roads, hospitals, and schools
The criminal code act in QLD was established by parliament in qld in 1899.
Amendments to the criminal code act are made by acts of parliament with the qld attorney general.
It IS controlled by parliament.

I feel like people turn into Romans at the colosseum any time something like this happens, baying for blood.

The guy made a mistake. Getting life in prison and his contract torn up doesn’t fix the child’s hip or erase the incident.

He was negligent, made a mistake and someone got hurt. Living with that alone would be a punishment in itself (add on the media scrutiny and randoms throwing their take at him). Then add on top whatever the legal punishment is.

This isn’t a premeditated crime with intent to hurt or malice.

I don’t think sending the bloke for time behind bars as some suggest is the appropriate course of action to have a positive effect on society.

Some sort of suspended sentence and fine seems appropriate.

A current example is qld lnp promising to change youth justice act in qld to change the way youth crimes are handled to stop the repeat offenders etc etc etc

And in the current term of government, the govt. Increased some maximum sentences but didn't take it further by increasing minimum mandatory sentences which is within their power.

And in the current term of government, the govt. Increased some maximum sentences but didn't take it further by increasing minimum mandatory sentences which is within their power.
It’s not like mandatory sentencing is a good thing? Why have judges if you don’t want them to judge?

Back