• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Sure.

There are a list of things I think people want. Fairness, stand alone Origin, local derbies, quality games where the result matters, a good season rhythm.

You aren’t going to get all those, so you prioritise the ones you want most.

I love the idea of a conference system. Even more so a 4 way conference system. Purely because it narrows your direct competition for the finals and makes those games against conference rivals infinitely more marquee. It turns all regular season games against your fellow conference teams into ones the same as those end of season games for two teams fighting for the 8, where it becomes a 4-point game essentially. Double that billing if it’s also a local rival.

So I can live with keeping a mid 20 rounds schedule if it also means a conference setup and stand alone Origin.

And to be fair, PVL did say that nothing has been sorted as yet. But that they’ll sit down one they’ve actually confirmed the expansion plans and work it out.
I certainly would consider a 4 conference system and 100% for stand alone origin...
Another spin off of the conference system is ......
Your team has a better chance of getting a trophy 🏆 namely conference winner... being the winner of the two rounds in your conference alone regardless of how you go in non conference games.
As it currently stands, many teams go for decades without a premiership trophy, for some teams, a generational thing almost.
Ironically a team could win the conference 🏆 and miss the 'top 8' I know ... but fans have something to celebrate and some conference bragging rights.

Conferences seem unfair
I’d rather everyone play each other once or twice, but given there are too many teams it’d be only once
But that wouldn’t support enough content so I’m not sure how it plays out after that
I just want fairness

wed be stucck with the roosters in our conference who will always be strong.other luckier teams will get the titans or tigers.nup wont work

wed be stucck with the roosters in our conference who will always be strong.other luckier teams will get the titans or tigers.nup wont work
We have been playing the Roosters twice every year anyway.

I think the best way to do the conferences though would be each year it changes with ladder positions the previous year. It won’t be perfect, but it will ensure that you’re not playing the same teams twice every year.

I’m against dropping 5 games every year. I understand why many are so for it. Even playing everyone once wouldn’t be a fair draw. Some teams will have less home games than others. Also some teams will play the likes of Melbourne at home.

I don’t ever recall it being so vocal about playing less games. Maybe the way they have changed the game is affecting things?

I don't like the conference system but it is better than shortening the NRL season.
If so then divide into 2 conferences. The fairest way forward that I can see is to play home and away within your allocated conference and play 1 home game against every team in the opposing conference.

Last edited:
We have been playing the Roosters twice every year anyway.

I think the best way to do the conferences though would be each year it changes with ladder positions the previous year. It won’t be perfect, but it will ensure that you’re not playing the same teams twice every year.

I’m against dropping 5 games every year. I understand why many are so for it. Even playing everyone once wouldn’t be a fair draw. Some teams will have less home games than others. Also some teams will play the likes of Melbourne at home.

I don’t ever recall it being so vocal about playing less games. Maybe the way they have changed the game is affecting things?

I get the sentiment for fairness.

But I think it’s important to play the Roosters twice a year. Ditto whoever else is in our conference. Nick Politis won’t live forever.

You look at Yankees/Red Sox in the MLB. Their rivalry is only intensified by being division rivals.

You’d essentially replace the Ron Coote cup for a real conference trophy each year that actually means something. Ditto anybody else we end up with.

You might not remember but there was a video they made, all the polynesians players were teaching us how to pronounce their names and Jeremy Smith was included explaining how to pronounce his surname, it was quite funny.
I remember that! It cracked me up. I think that was one of the vids put out after RC and PHaC took over. I think it was a feature they called Rabbitohs TV.

That's an excellent idea, Kempy. Instead of each conference's teams being set in stone, the teams in each conference would change every year. I'm not a fan of conferences, but I could get behind that.

The speed of the game, coupled with the length of the season, and the amount of time impacted by Origin is effecting the quality.

We had a shit year, but in previous years when we were shit I’d still watch a lot of football.

And at the start of the season I watched every game.

This dropped to 1 or 2 games a week around origin and some weeks didn’t watch league at all.

Having a shorter season, making the comp fairer and breaking for a proper SOO/International window I think will improve the quality.

I’ve been saying to my wife for years that quality is much better than quantity (jury’s out on whether she believes me!)

Latest posts

Back