• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

It will be just like a covid lockdown facility.

No chance if you are single either.
I hate being negative but it seems the negatives would out weigh the positives

Why would a player or anyone want to live in a gated community? It would be very restrictive? Going out and being mobbed would wear thin quickly.

I like Albo but the 600 million could be used here at home.

I cannot see how WB can be involved before Nov 2027 and if kick off is 2028 how the hell does he help like he did with Dolphins?

Ridiculous decision if in fact it is correct!

Last edited:
Its a waste of money but saying that the relationship is important especially with the investments China has made.
Yeah the reasoning is ok, but using NRL as the pawn for the game should not be happening. Invest in other ways I reckon

Like any player, and more importantly their families, are going to want to live up there in a barbed wire compound 24/7

Yeah the reasoning is ok, but using NRL as the pawn for the game should not be happening. Invest in other ways I reckon

Like any player, and more importantly their families, are going to want to live up there in a barbed wire compound 24/7
If they cannot attract some quality NRL players to supplement the local players, the new team would basically be stuck at the bottom year on year.

Bring in Perth first and soon start a long term plan to set up the pathways etc etc etc in PNG with a plan to include them later this decade, say 2029/2030.

Interesting times ahead if PNG get a start anytime soon.

This could be a disaster if not properly thought out!

Can someone explain to a dumbo like me in what world this PNG team is going to work? I seriously do not get it 1 bit based on all the info we’ve been presented.

Those in charge of the decision making seem so non chalant about it that I’m confused at what I’m missing..
In a geo-political contest against a “super” power, who are actively seeking to establish "strategic investments" in a country that is 150km from Australia, our Govt (regardless of political persuasion) should be looking to leverage whatever strategic advantages they have.

One advantage that Australia has over China is that PNG is absolutely Rugby League mad.

I think arguing about whether this will work or not - from a sports/logistical perspective - is missing the point I believe.

Using our unique advantage to ensure that China doesn't set up a military base that can potentially impact the free movement of goods and people - read what China has done in the Spratly islands - is.

Of course it's a complex issue and probably doesn't belong on the football page of this forum.

even if not at the beginning, I think they end up basing their homes and most training in Cairns.

Of course it's a complex issue and probably doesn't belong on the football page of this forum.
No it doesn't and that is entirely the point.
An NRL team is being established solely around political motivations.
This has nothing to do with whether this franchises "bid" (read bribe) to be part of the comp is the best, or whether they are a better option than all other bidders.
Our sport should not be used in such a way

This has nothing to do with whether this franchises "bid" (read bribe) to be part of the comp is the best, or whether they are a better option than all other bidders.
I think you (perhaps deliberately) missed my point.

But all good. I'm not getting into a political debate on the football pages.

Rugby league’s agendas have agendas. Thinking quality of bid, sans $$ and vested interests, will win you anything is laughable. Check the women’s game for an example.

Rugby league’s agendas have agendas. Thinking quality of bid, sans $$ and vested interests, will win you anything is laughable. Check the women’s game for an example.
Totally agree mate.
This new decision is completely political and nothing to do with the game, unlike other agenda drive **** ups.
In fact I think it will be detrimental to the competition.

I think you (perhaps deliberately) missed my point.

But all good. I'm not getting into a political debate on the football pages.
All good mate, pretty sure I didn’t miss your (very valid) points, I just don’t feel the supposed non-political NRL should be acting on behalf of the federal government to help achieve some of those concerns you mentioned

It’s quite the polarising decision hey

Why would the PNG government get in bed with the Chinese Communist Party, that won’t end well, surely they’re not that stupid.

Why would the PNG government get in bed with the Chinese Communist Party, that won’t end well, surely they’re not that stupid.

Their belt & road program is transforming 3rd world countries while most just do nothing

yes it comes at a cost but……..

As much as we'd like to dismiss it most of the world is in bed with them in some capacity. They have branches spread far and wide. We don't want them on our doorstep though.

Their belt & road program is transforming 3rd world countries while most just do nothing

yes it comes at a cost but……..
Yes . In the not too distant future it will be possible to get a high speed train from China all the way through SE Asia to Malaysia. Yes, China has them in their pocket, but the pros could quite possibly outweigh the cons in this relationship for many of these countries in the future.

Back