• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Some errors are unforgivable and top of the list IMO is stuffing up the ptb. Koloamatangi managed to stuff one up at the worst possible time last week and that ended up being the turning point. If I was the coach I’d have subbed him off immediately for sheer sloppiness in a very basic part of the game, in fact at the next training session I’d have him do 50 ptb’s and if he stuffed 1 up I’d have him start back at zero and doing another 50. He’d bloody well soon learn to focus on the basic stuff.
Koloamatangi = lazy player…..

Exactly and anyone who wants to seriously see what’s been killing us, go rewatch the 5 games, see those errors and see the common threads
Its not coachable, it’s a talent issue
Every player in every team makes errors but my god we have some repeat offenders which have killed our chances in those losses
Bellamy has no problems in turning plodders into highly capable first graders and potential premiership players:
1. They are fit - FIT!
2. He keeps player KPIs SIMPLE!!
3. His selections are well thought out. If he errs, he makes a swift change e.g. no way Jaxson Paulo and Lachlan Ilias hold their spots for as long as they did under JD.
4. He plugs roster holes swiftly at the end of the season or immediately (e.g. Olam for Blore)
5. He is open and honest in his dealings and advice to players and staff.

Ummm, Bellamy is a super coach. Not sure a “rookie“ should be judged in the same way.
I get it, you don’t rate him but don’t jump the shark

The warmup the boys did before that game at WIN a couple of seasons ago must have been a doozey. Illias dropped the ball off the kick-off! Must have been gassed running out of the tunnel.

Players can make errors due to fatigue, lack of concentration, poor timing, conditions, pressure from the opposition, etc. Players make errors at any stage of a game.

With regard to fatigue during games, defending requires more energy than attacking. If a team makes plenty of errors in attack, as Souths does, they need to defend more. Defending more means they fatigue more than the opposition. Stop making errors!
The issue is that the game should be easy due to training being hard

Currently training is and has been easy so when put under game day pressure the team buckles

I’ve watched training under Madge and now under JD and it’s miles apart

I’d go as far as to say that I’ve trained harder and more detailed playing A grade park footy as an 18 year old

JD comes across as a first class human being, but he’s not a first grade coach.

Ummm, Bellamy is a super coach. Not sure a “rookie“ should be judged in the same way.
I get it, you don’t rate him but don’t jump the shark
Bellamy became a super coach because he always held these principles

There’s no short cuts, mixed messages or uncertainty about your role in the team

I’ve said it for 3 years JD has flogged the few while letting others do sweet FA with no repercussions

We are where we are because everyone from the football department has been taking short cuts, turning a blind eye to poor standards while enjoying the smell of their own farts

You reap what you sow

I couldn't agree more. I don't think it's any coincidence that our best defensive performance of the Season, and the only game where we have actually shown some resilience and grit, came when we completed at 97% on Good Friday. I know it was against the Dogs, but it's still not a coincidence.
Bro the Dogs attack was way worse than our defence it was as simple as that

And therein lies one of JDs biggest issues. He’s still actually using that game as the standard for our defence

King ( a very average prop) ran through the middle on numerous occasions. The Dogs also dropped the ball over the line a few times
And JD actually believed it was a good defensive display because of the scoreboard

He accepts mediocrity as his benchmark

Every NRL player when fresh will make catches and passes and good decisions. The question is how do they perform under fatigue? How quickly do they fatigue and how well do they adjust under fatigue?
As we saw last week and against the Broncos we compete for a while but as soon at fatigue sets in we fall apart - that has everything to do with JD
Souths fatigue in the warm up!

Here we go again, the Madge Debate all over again. I recall going over this shit with people a few weeks into knowing Madge was going to get chopped.

This bullshit people keep saying, “it’s not the coaches fault”, “he’s not the one dropping the balls”, “he’s not the one stuffing up PTB’s”, “he’s not the one missing tackles” and best of all “he’s not teaching them to do all these errors and mistakes”.

Well actually he is.

As Head Coach JD is 100% solely responsible for performance, that IS HIS JOB.

It is his responsibility to ensure our players are extremely fit, physically ready, mentally prepared and emotionally prepared to perform at their maximum.

It’s his job to coach us into a high performing group who deliver wins.

As much as I like him this is on him, the buck stops with the head coach, end of story.

I still hope he can turn it around, smash the Sharks 60 to 0 and win the competition, but I can’t see it happening.

As I asked at the time of The Madge Debates, what is your option, to retain the coach after obvious failure, sack 30 players and start again from scratch?

That’s not how it works.

Here we go again, the Madge Debate all over again. I recall going over this shit with people a few weeks into knowing Madge was going to get chopped.

This bullshit people keep saying, “it’s not the coaches fault”, “he’s not the one dropping the balls”, “he’s not the one stuffing up PTB’s”, “he’s not the one missing tackles” and best of all “he’s not teaching them to do all these errors and mistakes”.

Well actually he is.

As Head Coach JD is 100% solely responsible for performance, that IS HIS JOB.

It is his responsibility to ensure our players are extremely fit, physically ready, mentally prepared and emotionally prepared to perform at their maximum.

It’s his job to coach us into a high performing group who deliver wins.

As much as I like him this is on him, the buck stops with the head coach, end of story.

I still hope he can turn it around, smash the Sharks 60 to 0 and win the competition, but I can’t see it happening.

As I asked at the time of The Madge Debates, what is your option, to retain the coach after obvious failure, sack 30 players and start again from scratch?

That’s not how it works.
There's also no shame in failure.

JD hasn't been up to it. That's OK.

I'm sure he'll learn his lessons, and be a better coach for it if and when he gets his next shot. And if he doesn't... an assistant NRL coach is still a pretty good job.

I can only think of a few coaches who have not been sacked.
Bellamy Arthur’s ( will be eventually)
Of course the new first timers ( they will be)
Souths even sacked Jack Gibson!

I'm sure he'll learn his lessons, and be a better coach for it if and when he gets his next shot. And if he doesn't... an assistant NRL coach is still a pretty good job.
Yeah great points mate. A big majority of recently 'failed' first grade coaches have ended up as Assistants somewhere and I genuinely believe JD will be an awesome assistant to a big presence coach, as was obvious with his time with Bennett.

I genuinely wish him nothing but all the best after the inevitable happens

Personally I think the writing was on the wall when he accepted bringing Sam on board - if the story is true that he never wanted Sam then he should of drawn a line and said - I’m the head coach I don’t need Sam. By accepting Sam it shows to me that JD has a bias to pleasing those around him and not demonstrating the authority he needs

Personally I think the writing was on the wall when he accepted bringing Sam on board - if the story is true that he never wanted Sam then he should of drawn a line and said - I’m the head coach I don’t need Sam. By accepting Sam it shows to me that JD has a bias to pleasing those around him and not demonstrating the authority he needs
I think you are on the money Joe.

JD has probably been pissed off for 18 months and maybe his coaching and decision making was affected by Sam's presence and the aftermath of Sam's departure?

Back