• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

The Knights finished the season in 5th last year.

They've started the season 0-2.

They've just dropped their halfback (Hastings) to reserve grade.

Let's see if the same histrionics ensue. They won't.
Totally different scenario:

* The Knights had a highly successful season last year. We didn’t.

* Consequently they had a stress free off season - we didn’t.

* The Knights improved during the 2023 season. We didn’t.

* Yes, they have lost 2 in a row. (So have the Warriors). Not 11 of their last 15 games. A number of teams will lose two in a row this season. However, for many, their previous games will be wins. Ours weren’t.

* Coach O’Brien has a reputation of picking on form and has shown he will drop a non-performing player - JD won’t (except for fringe players like Milne, Paulo, Cartwright, Knight).

* The bloke they’ve dropped, Hastings, won them plenty of games last year - Ilias has had 2 standout games in 53 games (2 seasons and 2 games). Hastings is also a previous Nan of Steel ESL winner. He has worked hard to achieve credibility. Our bloke has had 2 standout games (attack/kicking/defence) in 2 seasons. Was woeful last week.

Poor comparison.

The Knights finished the season in 5th last year.

They've started the season 0-2.

They've just dropped their halfback (Hastings) to reserve grade.

Let's see if the same histrionics ensue. They won't.
Totally different scenario:

* The Knights had a highly successful season last year. We didn’t.

* Consequently they had a stress free off season - we didn’t.

* The Knights improved during the 2023 season. We didn’t.

* Yes, they have lost 2 in a row. (So have the Warriors). Not 11 of their last 15 games. A number of teams will lose two in a row this season. However, for many, their previous games will be wins. Ours weren’t.

* Coach O’Brien has a reputation of picking on form and has shown he will drop a non-performing player - JD won’t (except for fringe players like Milne, Paulo, Cartwright, Knight).

* The bloke they’ve dropped, Hastings, won them plenty of games last year - Ilias has had 2 standout games in 53 games (2 seasons and 2 games). Hastings is also a previous Nan of Steel ESL winner. He has worked hard to achieve credibility. Our bloke has had 2 standout games (attack/kicking/defence) in 2 seasons. Was woeful last week.

Poor comparison.

I think you actually further added to his point. The way I read it was @yobbo84 was having a dig at the media bagging the dropping of Ilias. I could be wrong, but that is how I took it.
Yeah, maybe I worded it poorly.

My point was, dropping Hastings is an even harsher move, all things considering.

No carry on in the media though.

Yeah, maybe I worded it poorly.

My point was, dropping Hastings is an even harsher move, all things considering.

No carry on in the media though.
OK, righteo.
Yes I think Newcastle’s best pairing is Hastings and Cogger.
I’d be happy to have Cogger, he’s a quality player and comes from solid bloodlines (father is Trevor, Wests Magpies stalwart).

Is there a team that attracts headlines, clicks and stories than us? I mean take one look on Facebook and we’re every second story.
Every league “expert” hahahahahahaha are having their 2 cents worth.
We are walking headlines.
It’s annoying but proves we are the NRLs power club

Edit: And let me add. We really need to start acting like it.

Is there a team that attracts headlines, clicks and stories than us? I mean take one look on Facebook and we’re every second story.
Every league “expert” hahahahahahaha are having their 2 cents worth.
We are walking headlines.
It’s annoying but proves we are the NRLs power club
We also keep scumbags like Kent in jobs , which is even more annoying. I just read his latest assault on our club. The weasel is seriously deranged.

And you're calling the club dumb if we don't try sign the May brothers. The two good ones play in positions (prop and centre) were arguably strongest in.
With Tom leaving, I’m open to May, May AND Hastings.

It won’t happen, but remember that Cody Walker has 1 year left on his contract.

The plan was to let Reynolds go and manage a transition of a 7 into the side, so that when Cook and Walker moved on, Mitchell and the 7 would carry things on with the 2 new faces (as opposed to 3 if Reynolds had stayed). At least, that is what the clubs motivation should have been.

With no obvious 7 in place 18 months out from Cody and Cook being off contract, 100% all options are in play.

Don’t rule out us needing to bring in a less desirable veteran half to partner Gray’s transition into the side. Wighton is also an option at 6, so at that point a centre would be handy.

This club should be considering all options for 2025 and beyond.

We’re far from a settled proposition at the moment by roster wise, and any position strengthened makes the team better. May at prop is better than what we have according to most judges (I haven’t seen enough of him personally). Likewise Hastings is a better, more experienced 7 than Hawkins or Ilias.

We should be pretty open minded at this point.

Back