• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

News, General Articles and Discussion

Based on last years form he was a strong consideration for origin I thought but this year injuries have had an impact. He is definitely coming into his prime and I think his next couple of years will be his best.
Shades of Fui Fui Moi Moi....we didn't get the best of out him and he thrived at Parramatta. If Tats delivers on his potential we should do a deal that is mutually beneficial. He has been distracted this year with injury and the loss of his mentor/ father may be playing on his focus to football. He is an important piece of the puzzle but he has to be playing at his best. Glory, glory

I think some of us - including me - are living in the past in forward salaries.

If you look at the article @Smiths Crisps posted, the median for a prop was >$800k.

So maybe Tats is worth $700k.

I have no doubt that this is a bargaining ploy by his manager and I don’t think we’ll pay him $700k - but RL careers are particularly short for Props so get what you can should be his mantra.
Be careful with reading that info. It is a bit confusing how they wrote it up. The median you quote is for the Top 5 props in the game. Scroll right down and you will see a table with indicative payments for a larger range of forwards.

The numbers are still higher than you expect (especially adding in the recent salary cap increases).

If Para rank Tatola in their Top 2 props going forward then the $700K would probably be about right.

2022 Salary data below.
Note there was a 22% increase in the Top 30 cap in 2023 (that makes the 1-5 Rank over $1 million for a prop if allocated evenly across positions). You can expect it to continue going up in future years.

Prop NRL RankAve (‘000)
1-5850
6-10750
11-15685
16-20550
21-25450
26-30410
31-35360
36-40315
41-45280

2022 Salary data below.
Note there was a 22% increase in the Top 30 cap in 2023 (that makes the 1-5 Rank over $1 million for a prop if allocated evenly across positions). You can expect it to continue going up in future years.

Prop NRL RankAve (‘000)
1-5850
6-10750
11-15685
16-20550
21-25450
26-30410
31-35360
36-40315
41-45280
That’s helpful - on this seasons form he is in that 11-15 bracket but his potential is easily up in that 6-10 bracket. I guess it’s how much confidence do you have in him playing consistently at that level

You can’t pay every player what they’re worth. You need value somewhere. I don’t think Tatola is a guy like Mitchell, Walker, Murray, that you keep when you can no longer get them at a club value rate. If he wants market value, I say let him go. If he wants to take a haircut to stay, play on.

Honestly…there must be an intelligence test to become an NRL player, that you have to fail to get in.

I’m not making any comment on the veracity of the alleged offence but why put yourself in the situation to start with?

Latest posts

Back