• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

New Beatle Song

Imagine and My Sweet Lord are my two favourite post Beatles songs. John's Christmas/War is Over is the only Christmas song I can cop so well done there. Can't think of a Wings song I like, but I'm sure there are one or two.

There's no way I could pick a favourite Beatles song or even album. So many great ones.
AS far as the WINGS go , Band on the Run is my favourite. Has some other good songs on the album.

I still think John Bonham was the greatest drummer of that era (60's/70's), from a rock/pop perspective.

Ringo was/is a great drummer too.

As was Keith Moon and Charlie Watts - but Bonham's drumming stood above them for mine.

Funnily enough I was going to say of all time, but then you watch the movie Whiplash about jazz drummers, and you get a whole different appreciation of the craft.
Mitch Mitchell was jazz trained which I think gave him an edge, as were probably a few others.
I preferred Ian Paice to Bonham, but that's more to do with being slightly more a Deep Purple fan than Zep.

Mitch Mitchell was jazz trained which I think gave him an edge, as were probably a few others.
I preferred Ian Paice to Bonham, but that's more to do with being slightly more a Deep Purple fan than Zep.
I am pretty sure Charlie Watts had some jazz training too.

I'd say Imagine too.

A simple and evocative message that is probably more relevant today, then when it was released.

(and if I can add a counter-point. Any song by Wings, but particularly the Mull of Kintyre gets my "wish they'd called in sick" vote!)
It's funny, Mull was a massive hit yet I have never met one person who admits to liking it.

I was okay with it, a little bit anthemic, good melody and easy to sing along to.
Not sure why so many people hate it.

I liked some of Paul's solo stuff like Maybe I'm Amazed, and Wings with Live and Let Die.

Overall Macca's post Beatles stuff was a little too commercial for my liking, but he did some good stuff too.

Just on Ringo, I have had so many debates about his ability with other drummers.

He is what I term a "melodic" drummer, not a title I could give any other drummer.

What I mean by this is listen to songs like Strawberry Fields, Hello Goodbye, I Am The Walrus etc and pay attention to his drum rolls, he kind of mimics the vocal melody and it just works so ****ing well. Listen to his drumming on Don't Let Me Down and Come Together, nothing technical, but gee it just works so well.

The other critical talent for a drummer to have is to be a good time keeper, and in this area he excelled. The Beatles did quite a few songs with tempo changes, such as She's a Woman and I Call Your Name, not only did he handle the tempo changes well, but he kept the rest of the band right on time.

And he really developed a style of his own.

Anyone who doesn't think he is an excellent drummer knows a total of nothing about great drummers.

As for jazz, jazz drummers are insanely good.
Just listen to some solos from Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and Louis Bellson

If you want to hear a young guy that is one incredible current drummer, have a listen to this guy.

Greyson Nekrutman​

Last edited:
Just on Ringo, I have had so many debates about his ability with other drummers.

He is what I term a "melodic" drummer, not a title I could give any other drummer.

What I mean by this is listen to songs like Strawberry Fields, Hello Goodbye, I Am The Walrus etc and pay attention to his drum rolls, he kind of mimics the vocal melody and it just works so ****ing well. Listen to his drumming on Don't Let Me Down and Come Together, nothing technical, but gee it just works so well.

The other critical talent for a drummer to have is to be a good time keeper, and in this area he excelled. The Beatles did quite a few songs with tempo changes, such as She's a Woman and I Call Your Name, not only did he handle the tempo changes well, but he kept the rest of the band right on time.

And he really developed a style of his own.

Anyone who doesn't think he is an excellent drummer knows a total of nothing about great drummers.

As for jazz, jazz drummers are insanely good.
Just listen to some solos from Gene Krupa, Buddy Rich and Louis Bellson

If you want to hear a young guy that is one incredible current drummer, have a listen to this guy.

Greyson Nekrutman​

Excellent comment. As I said before, in my humble opinion, most drummers are there to keep a beat so people can tap to it or show power in heavy rock songs. Ringo could do that but The Beatles had such a wide variety of songs that required specialized drumming. A lot of drummers would not have been able to keep up with the rest of the Beatles. The Jazz example is very good. The Beatles, as indeed many other British Pop groups such as the Rolling Stones and The Animals freely admitted the powerful influence the black musicians had on their music.
The best example I can find was a Tv show I watched called 'John Lennon's jukebox'.
PS. On the debate- I saw a YOUTUBE where a bloke challenged a Ringo 'hater', who was a self-proclaimed brilliant drummer, to drum to Beatles songs the way Ringo did. He could not keep up.

They wouldve been called "lady bugs" 😉

And ended up as back up singers to some other male performers

Joining late but I thought it was fine. Beggars can't be choosers.

It's probably one of the best new songs ever released by a band with 2/4 dead members?

According to the mini doco, the song was found along with Free As A Bird and Real Love and they attempted to record it in the 90's but couldn't separate the piano/vocal mix at the time, so decided to come back to it at a later date.

On the topic of post-Beatles, my favorite tidbit fact is that John Lennon's only solo #1 US single was Whatever Gets You Through The Night. Which compared to the rest of his output is a ridiculous situation.

Earlier in the year I took the Black Album idea from Boyhood (a father making a mix take for his son of post-Beatles break-up tracks pulled together into a compilation that feels like another Beatles album that was never released), making 6 albums of 10 or so tracks chronologically populated with what they were working on as solo artists at any given time. The results are surprisingly effective and essentially like they continued recording as a 4-some through to 1980.

I also played with a Sgt Pepper/Magical Mystery era double album where one side is all Paul and one side is all John. And a better final album that mixes tracks from Let It Be and Abbey Road. And a Beatles/Beach Boys crossover that highlights the songwriting back and for they had from Today/Rubber Soul through to Smile/Pepper (essentially the music they produced directly after they both smoked weed for the first time). Novel way to re-enjoy music you've listened to a thousand times.

Last edited:
Speaking of Let It Be, i am a fan of Dolly Parton but gee she butchers that song.

Earlier in the year I took the Black Album idea from Boyhood (a father making a mix take for his son of post-Beatles break-up tracks pulled together into a compilation that feels like another Beatles album that was never released), making 6 albums of 10 or so tracks chronologically populated with what they were working on as solo artists at any given time. The results are surprisingly effective and essentially like they continued recording as a 4-some through to 1980.

I also played with a Sgt Pepper/Magical Mystery era double album where one side is all Paul and one side is all John. And a better final album that mixes tracks from Let It Be and Abbey Road. And a Beatles/Beach Boys crossover that highlights the songwriting back and for they had from Today/Rubber Soul through to Smile/Pepper (essentially the music they produced directly after they both smoked weed for the first time). Novel way to re-enjoy music you've listened to a thousand times.
Are you able to share any of that?

Sounds v.interesting. I don't know anything about the "Black album" - so will have to google that as well.

And on the song, as I said it grew on me the second time I listened to it.

But I think we can all agree that it wasn't John's best.

Back