• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

New Beatle Song

Slightly off-topic, but I very much enjoyed Julian Lennon's music, especially Saltwater and Now You're In Heaven. He had some talent

Slightly off-topic, but I very much enjoyed Julian Lennon's music, especially Saltwater and Now You're In Heaven. He had some talent
Saltwater was a great song, very John/Dad but cool.

Joining late but I thought it was fine. Beggars can't be choosers.

It's probably one of the best new songs ever released by a band with 2/4 dead members?

According to the mini doco, the song was found along with Free As A Bird and Real Love and they attempted to record it in the 90's but couldn't separate the piano/vocal mix at the time, so decided to come back to it at a later date.

On the topic of post-Beatles, my favorite tidbit fact is that John Lennon's only solo #1 US single was Whatever Gets You Through The Night. Which compared to the rest of his output is a ridiculous situation.

Earlier in the year I took the Black Album idea from Boyhood (a father making a mix take for his son of post-Beatles break-up tracks pulled together into a compilation that feels like another Beatles album that was never released), making 6 albums of 10 or so tracks chronologically populated with what they were working on as solo artists at any given time. The results are surprisingly effective and essentially like they continued recording as a 4-some through to 1980.

I also played with a Sgt Pepper/Magical Mystery era double album where one side is all Paul and one side is all John. And a better final album that mixes tracks from Let It Be and Abbey Road. And a Beatles/Beach Boys crossover that highlights the songwriting back and for they had from Today/Rubber Soul through to Smile/Pepper (essentially the music they produced directly after they both smoked weed for the first time). Novel way to re-enjoy music you've listened to a thousand times.
Yes WALLS And BRIDGES was a good album. I liked#9 dream the most. best quote- 'trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the wind'. What song does that come from- worth 5 points

Yes WALLS And BRIDGES was a good album. I liked#9 dream the most. best quote- 'trying to shovel smoke with a pitchfork in the wind'. What song does that come from- worth 5 points
Old Dirt Road.

My faves on that were Whatever Gets You Through The Night and Nobody Loves You.

Old Dirt Road.

My faves on that were Whatever Gets You Through The Night and Nobody Loves You.
Ah yes, nobody loves you is a testament to how humans really only care about themselves and maybe their immediate family. I never whine about anything as I know, no matter what happens I am a very lucky person to be able to live in a country that has the South Sydney RLFC.

Just opened this thread . I absolutely love everything from the Beatles. Also love The Stones but in my opinion together there was nothing close until The Eagles came along. Paul's solo stuff, especially with Wings in my opinion eclipsed the others . I think John would have thrived in the Grunge age . He had, much like Neil Young, that serious Grunge edge to some of his solo stuff before Grunge was even a thing. Cold Turkey, Well Well Well and even Come Together are great examples of this and totally rock .

Last edited:
Just opened this thread . I absolutely love everything from the Beatles. Also love The Stones but in my opinion together there was nothing close until The Eagles came along.

Not a huge Eagles fan but I liked them. The thing was the USA rock band sound was so totally different than the UK. Quite liked the Doobie Bros as well.

Paul's solo stuff, especially with Wings in my opinion eclipsed the others .

I was a Wings fan but honestly felt they put out some rubbish at times. I was a fan of his solo stuff pre Wings, things like Maybe I'm Amazed. Red Rose Speedway I enjoyed.

I think John would have thrived in the Grunge age . He had, much like Neil Young, that serious Grunge edge to some of his solo stuff before Grunge was even a thing. Cold Turkey, Well Well Well and even Come Together are great examples of this and totally rock .

I think in the solo years John wrote from a personal perspective whereas Paul wrote from a more commercial/pop angle.

Either way, some great music all round.

Back