• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lewis Dodd saint Helen’s half to the rabbitohs

Yep.

We need to understand this is very much a gamble in an environment where option are constrained.

He’s 22 (23 when he gets here) and is a work in progress coming off a serious leg injury.

We should 100% be hedging our bets with a dev half so we have the next guy up if Dodd comes up short or needs a breather.

And I don’t think that’s Gray.

As much as I like Gray’s talent (ditto Munro), they need to acclimatise their bodies to the NRL before you can start giving them walk up start key positions in the NRL side.

Gray’s been gone by halftime in 2 of his 3 NRL games to date.

It should be hard to get a run in the first grade side. Good players should miss out.

Yep.

We need to understand this is very much a gamble in an environment where option are constrained.

He’s 22 (23 when he gets here) and is a work in progress coming off a serious leg injury.

We should 100% be hedging our bets with a dev half so we have the next guy up if Dodd comes up short or needs a breather.

As much as I like Gray’s talent (ditto Munro), they need to acclimatise their bodies to the NRL before you can start giving them walk up start key positions in the NRL side.

It should be hard to get a run in the first grade side. Good players should miss out.
Wayne has a history of having an experienced backup (Sullivan is backup to Katoa currently), so wouldn’t be surprised to see us go down a similar path if we can

I think he has just come back from injury today? Not sure what exactly and I’m sure he has more to his game but they were my initial thoughts. Others may see it differently.

Commentators did mention his signing will be announced today supposedly.
Interesting that the Tweet from St Helen’s with the result of the game came up on my newsfeed.

I was reading the comments from the fans and many of it seemed to be aimed at Dodd. I take much of that with a grain of salt though as it could be just bitter fans.

But I did see someone mention that he has gone backwards this year since returning from injury. Another mentioned that he returned this week from injury.

Sounds like there seems to be an issue with his confidence.

Interesting that the Tweet from St Helen’s with the result of the game came up on my newsfeed.

I was reading the comments from the fans and many of it seemed to be aimed at Dodd. I take much of that with a grain of salt though as it could be just bitter fans.

But I did see someone mention that he has gone backwards this year since returning from injury. Another mentioned that he returned this week from injury.

Sounds like there seems to be an issue with his confidence.
I watched the second half, and I think @Bully summary is pretty spot on. Ball in hand he looks lively and especially with the attacking shape they were throwing. Kicking game looks good. Defence will need some work on. He seems to rush off his line a lot which he got caught out a few times doing. The Sezer comp isn’t a bad one. The key thing as always will be if Cody and Latrell are on, and Dodd can be solid enough

Twitter makes The Pride seem like the Greek Agora.... I wouldn't give 2 cents to what ppl there say
What are you saying? Are you saying I shouldn’t believe everything I read on Twitter? 🤪

Surely you have to listen to the guy on Twitter with no profile pic a name and 10 numbers following.

Watched the first half and admit that’s all the football I’ve seen this kid play (or at least paid attention to). If he’s meant to be the upgrade to Ilias, it wasn’t apparent from what I saw.

Thanks for the review Bully.

Important to remember that the current halves are Ilias and Hawkins. How would they go in a one game review? :)

Sounds like a step forward, even if we haven’t signed a young JT.

Wayne has a history of having an experienced backup (Sullivan is backup to Katoa currently), so wouldn’t be surprised to see us go down a similar path if we can
Marshall & Nikorima here.

I'd be ignoring St Hellens fans. It's natural to death ride a player once he has signed elsewhere.

One game means nothing either. I watched a few games from early last year and Ilias looked superb in some, yet later in the year looked awful.

I'd be ignoring St Hellens fans. It's natural to death ride a player once he has signed elsewhere.

One game means nothing either. I watched a few games from early last year and Ilias looked superb in some, yet later in the year looked awful.

Exactly, we had people in here demanding we chase Blaize Talagi after his debut for the eels 😆

2 bog average games since and he’s been dropped🤪

You need to watch ESL as a slightly more talented NSW Cup.

The whole game over there has lost a lot of physicality and is pure speed-based.

Hard to identify singular talents within those game structures; training would probably tell you more.

The fact that the best player in the entire competition is Bevan French tells you plenty.

You just don't know if they'll turn out over here to be a Josh Hodgson or a Ryan Hall...
Which is why I think you recruit physique and skillset

Dodd can kick a ball and moves well, the games I watched defended well, so ticks most boxes

Props your looking for size, speed, leg drive and a bit of agility

It’s why Luke Thompson failed over here he was too small and slow to have any impact

Oh well. Maybe too early to ride him off but seeing its the same recruitment team that has made every other decision it wouldnt sunrise me he is a dud. I did ask a few weeks ago why they are still signing players. They should have been sacked.
Putting 2 and 2 together, I think this Dodd signing has come from Wayne. Could be wrong, but it certainly looks like it is

Yep.

100% why we should be keeping Ilias, in my humble

100% why we should be keeping Ilias, in my humble
That would be a money thing though.

Ilias is on first grade halfback money. Whatever that is.

You need a guy out of favour or up and coming ideally.

Some other club could probably pick Ilias up right now on unders, but we’re in a position where if he stays, we need to honour his existing contract.

If he had some more proven versatility (and I’m not talking hooker alone, a position he’s played zero games).

He’d need to be a genuine centre, half, hooker cover option to get a spot on the bench. That’s possible but highly speculative and would need to be a genuine plan that club, coach and player buy in on. He probably still wants to be an NRL 7. Not a utility.

If you want to keep Ilias, it means Dodd’s money comes out of Burgess’ contract.

So what do you want more? A genuine prop recruit? Or Ilias as a backup half?

Considering you still have a couple of other moves to make, I’d be looking for more value out of Ilias’ spot on the roster.

Back