• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Lewis Dodd saint Helen’s half to the rabbitohs

Looks like 3-4 years from next year. Kicked the winning field goal against Penrith in the WCC.

FROM THE TELEGRAPH

NRL news: Lewis Dodd of St Helens to join South Sydney Rabbitohs from 2025

The South Sydney Rabbitohs have pulled off a significant signing coup luring a star English halfback to the club. Full details here

Michael Carayannis
April 27, 2024 - 1:00PM

Struggling South Sydney have been given a much-needed boost with the Rabbitohs set to agree to a shock long-term deal with English halfback Lewis Dodd.
It is understood that Dodd is likely to join the Rabbitohs from next season on a three to four year contract having told his Super League club St Helens of the impending move.

This masthead has learnt that South Sydney’s football manager Mark Ellison will fly to England in coming days where a deal is likely to be done. Ellison will travel to the Super League to meet with Dodd and other potential recruits.

The impending decision casts uncertainty surrounding injured South Sydney halfback Lachie Ilias who still has 12 months left on his contract. Current no.7 Dean Hawkins is off-contract at the end of the season.

Regardless, the Rabbitohs are trying to make big moves in a bid to reignite a team which sits at the bottom of the premiership ladder. Dodd is expected to partner Cody Walker, who has just one more season left on his deal, in the halves next season.

Dodd is arguably the hottest prospect playing in the Super League and a host of NRL clubs were circling the 22-year-old halfback who was off-contract at the end of the season.

The Dolphins were considered a strong chance to sign Dodd given his relationship with incoming Dolphins coach Kristian Woolf. Woolf coached Dodd at St Helens with the pair combining for premiership success in 2021 against Catalans.

However, his future is shaping up to be with the Rabbitohs despite the uncertainty surrounding who may be the club’s long-term coach as pressure mounts on Jason Demetriou.

Dodd kicked an extra time field goal to give St Helens victory against Penrith in 2023 and St Helens again sit on top of the Super League ladder.

It would be the first major change at South Sydney who are in a desperate need to rejuvenate their roster in a bid to fast-track their success.

Walker and fellow veteran Damien Cook have 12 months left on their deals. Dodd would be South Sydney’s first signing for next year with veteran prop Tom Burgess heading to the Super League.

The Rabbitohs have a two-year offer out to prop Shaq Mitchell while have re-signed the likes of Jye Gray, Peter Mamouzelos, Ben Lovett and Thomas Fletcher.
Ilias lost his starting start at the Rabbitohs following a round two loss to Brisbane. He suffered a season ending leg injury in NSW Cup after Warriors hooker Freddy Lussick attempted a charge-down gone wrong.

Gareth Widdop and George Williams are two recent English-born halves who have had success in the NRL. Widdop won a premiership with Melbourne before captaining St George Illawarra, while Williams only lasted 32 games at Canberra but played finals in his only full season.

He's a premiership winning half back, only 22 years old.

Saint's currently first on the ladder.

No expert on him, just googling but finally the club has identified that IIlias and Hawkins aren't the answer and should only be considered as depth

He's a premiership winning half back, only 22 years old.

Saint's currently first on the ladder.

No expert on him, just googling but finally the club has identified that IIlias and Hawkins aren't the answer and should only be considered as depth
I still think there’s a player in Lachlan and he just needs a good coach. I’d love for him to stay and maybe be in the 14 (especially if Wayne is here) and we let Hawkins go. I see nothing in Hawkins

hopefully brings a hard hitting forward with him as well

I still think there’s a player in Lachlan and he just needs a good coach. I’d love for him to stay and maybe be in the 14 (especially if Wayne is here) and we let Hawkins go. I see nothing in Hawkins
Future 6

I don’t think any of us saw this coming. I wonder how true this is. With the uncertainty of what is happening with our coach next year you have to wonder if this is true that we don’t already have something organised.

Great news.

Creates a logjam 1-7 which is a good thing. Gray, AJ, Mitchell, Wighton, Munro, Gray, Walker, Dodd, Ilias. And Caleb Clarke?

Latest posts

Back