• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

I don’t think that math says all that much definitively. If you want to infer that, then sure, it’s a reasonable assumption.

But at the time he signed, Solly, Ello and the old COO were on the recruitment panel and even if JD didn’t have a lot of sway, they were capable of pulling this trigger themselves. Maybe Wayne was advised, maybe he gave it a blessing, maybe it was his idea. It’s all speculation.

My initial comment stands. When I hear Wayne make an off hand comment that he wanted him here, I’ll feel better about the signing.
Your reasoning is fair as is my conclusion.
Note that my conclusion was under the heading of "My opinion".

Someone identified that for 2025 we need a top quality affordable 7. The dates are what I could find.
JD sacked May 1st.
Dodd signed May 5th.
WB signed May 21st.
My opinion.
Unlikely that JD would be looking to sign players leading up to his sacking. Discussion with WB would have begun well before JD was sacked. WB was a key figure in Lewis Dodds signing. You can work it out and see what you think is probable.
The only thing with the above dates, is the fact we were talking to Wayne well before JD got the official sack and the Dodd signing. His fingerprints are definitely on this

Yes NRL untested but not untested. He has good ESL credentials and experience. Before anyone posts "it's only ESL", he played in the ESL team that defeated Penrith, something that we have struggled to do. There was a time when Garath Widdop and George Williams hadn't been tested in the NRL either, and they went ok. This guy can really resolve our last play options, which we need going forward.
Am I the only one excited about Lewis Dodd signing?

Yes NRL untested but not untested. He has good ESL credentials and experience. Before anyone posts "it's only ESL", he played in the ESL team that defeated Penrith, something that we have struggled to do. There was a time when Garath Widdop and George Williams hadn't been tested in the NRL either, and they went ok. This guy can really resolve our last play options, which we need going forward.
Am I the only one excited about Lewis Dodd signing?
There was a time Sam Burgess hadn't been tested in NRL as well.

There was a time Sam Burgess hadn't been tested in NRL as well.
Sam Burgess was an English annd Great Britain international prior to joining Souths.

I don’t follow the English game, but it seems that George Williams, Harry Smith and Mikey Lewis are all ahead of him in the English rep team packing order?

Last edited:
Widdop was in front also. The point was that he was untested in the NRL, just like the other players mentioned. There are no guarantees but he does come with a good level of success in the no 7 spot. Without robbing Peter to pay Paul, Dodd is the best 7 prospect since Adam Reynolds left.

Last edited:
How Dodd is going right now has absolutely nothing to do with how he will go in the NRL.

You could fill a page with reasons he may have been dropped and none of them will relate to Dodd at Souths.

Firstly It’s nothing personal just my opinion secondly please find where I said Aj was shit last night?

Others are just starting to notice now Cody isn’t serving up tries for him

He had his best finish in 5 years last night, so I’d like to retract my previous statement from ‘ He never scores with anyone in front of him’ to ‘ he only scores once every 5 years if there’s a defender in front of him’

A top class finisher would have bagged another two tries on the left last night.

As for Aj’s supposed sublime timing, Gagai’s had 9 games on the right this year has a strike rate of 100% and his timing doesn’t look any different to Aj’s.

It’s like they must practice it at training or something
Don’t forget when the great Robert Jennings scored 20 on the left wing

Cool, so anyone could've done what AJ has done..... so why haven't they?
Funny how only 2 players previously had scored 30 tries in a season. He has now done it twice. There were wingers playing on the outside of Cronk, Slater and Inglis at one stage. Thurston and Bowen. Maybe it just has something to do with how well AJ would position himself over the years.

Cool, so anyone could've done what AJ has done..... so why haven't they?
He has been blessed to play on a team that has been left side dominant his entire career. First outside GI, then Cody and Trell where the main play was the block sweep drawing the winger in for the cutout pass.

Why doesn’t he make any rep teams?

He has been blessed to play on a team that has been left side dominant his entire career. First outside GI, then Cody and Trell where the main play was the block sweep drawing the winger in for the cutout pass.

Why doesn’t he make any rep teams?
Because he's not a strong dummy half runner/hit-up merchant when it comes to running it out of his own end. You know that, though.

But to question his finishing ability is.... madness. To put it nicely.

There's also not enough said about longevity, too. Anyone can have a one-off solid season - like the oft mentioned Jennings in 2018.

But to do that for 10+ years? Very, very rare.

Because he's not a strong dummy half runner/hit-up merchant when it comes to running it out of his own end. You know that, though.

But to question his finishing ability is.... madness. To put it nicely.

There's also not enough said about longevity, too. Anyone can have a one-off solid season - like the oft mentioned Jennings in 2018.

But to do that for 10+ years? Very, very rare.
He’s solid I’m not a hater but the try stat has people try to put him on a level that he is not at. It’s annoying. Anyone on that left wing scores tries evident when he misses games or is at fullback.

I wouldn’t have him in the top 50 wingers of the NRL era but people will put him there due to the stat but skill wise no.

Latest posts

Back