• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

This is what I’m most worried about.

Until I actually hear Wayne Bennett say ‘Dodd was my call’, I’ll assume this was a signing made at a very very down moment for the club (likely the low point of the last decade), which it’s not impossible to think was a reaction as opposed to a plan.

Having Gould (with a side that needs a 7) say the price didn’t match the risk doesn’t help either. It’s not everything, but it’s something.

Fine for people to infer from comments made by Solly that Wayne was in on it, or assume it based on common sense.

But I feel we’re just as likely to hear Wayne say during the offseason ‘I wasn’t really familiar with him prior to arriving, but he’s looking good at training, etc’.

Will certainly be one of the biggest storylines to follow in 2025.
I can only comment on where I got my info from regarding the JD sacking and Wayne talks, and they were happening well in dance to when the club pulled the trigger. Wayne will never come out and say Dodd was his call due to his friendship with JD, but his prints are all over it

St Helens were very flat in that Castleford game and obviously the coach has made some changes to get a response. I’ve seen all of the StH games and from what I’ve seen Dodd isn’t going to be a great running halfback at the NRL level. He’s a passing, backing up type player with a very good short kicking game. He’s there or thereabouts in a lot of their plays but doesn’t really take on the line, at least from my observations. He does back up the ball carriers through the middle but I can’t say I’ve seen him break the line or get into a position to show if he’s got some pace.
It is definitely a calculated risk……we would gain a good short kicking halfback with some organising skills. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.
Sounds like that ex-halfback who used to play for us. He who shall not be named.

Last edited:
The young half from the Dolphins seems to be doing ok under Wayne right? But it’s been a bit up and down which having a Wighton and Walker halves combo may help with the transition?

The young half from the Dolphins seems to be doing ok under Wayne right? But it’s been a bit up and down which having a Wighton and Walker halves combo may help with the transition?
That’s the idea I’d assume.

Lewis Dodd was totally 100% a WB signing. I am sure WB did his homework in the lead up too. For me, he looks the next level up from Illias and Hawkins. He allows Jack to play centre, where he can still kick. I am keen to see what he can develope into under WB in 2025. But no, he is not a Cooper Cronk signing.

For those not watching the Fox coverage, they’re currently speculating as to where Nikorima ends up next year, why the Dolphins haven’t signed him yet, and whether he will follow Wayne to Souths.

Is there a bench hooker/utility for a team like us with no experience there?

Ditto the fact we’ll go into next year without an experienced, quality NRL 7 (despite having a couple prospects there and Cody).

For those not watching the Fox coverage, they’re currently speculating as to where Nikorima ends up next year, why the Dolphins haven’t signed him yet, and whether he will follow Wayne to Souths.

Is there a bench hooker/utility for a team like us with no experience there?

Ditto the fact we’ll go into next year without an experienced, quality NRL 7 (despite having a couple prospects there and Cody).
That space is getting a bit crowded with Dodd, Mamo, humphries and maybe Illias isnt it? Would rather the $$$ spent elsewhere personally.

That space is getting a bit crowded with Dodd, Mamo, humphries and maybe Illias isnt it? Would rather the $$$ spent elsewhere personally.
Well 2 of those guys start.

And I don’t think Ilias is going to get a bench spot.

Haven’t seen enough of Humphreys to know.

Gray is a fullback.

But I get what you’re alluding to.

Back