• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Latest Rumours

I understand he would have looked good on our right wing but he also wanted $700K plus to play for us and thats a lot to spend on a winger.

Would everyone still be happy if we had kept him and lost Latrell or Graham etc

I understand he would have looked good on our right wing but he also wanted $700K plus to play for us and thats a lot to spend on a winger.

Would everyone still be happy if we had kept him and lost Latrell or Graham etc
I would not have been happy to keep him fullstop, not worth any more than around 250k.

Over rated prima donna who has not set the world on fire and has done nothing more than any teenager who comes into grade, and I can think of a few who have done far better as teenagers, including Nanai, Cobbo, Jayden Campbell, Penisini and more...........

Nanai dominated in every game, played in an Origin series and dominated at 19, yet he doesn't get anywhere near the media adulation Sua'ali'i gets.

Never understood the fuss, still don't, and I am sick to death of reading about the cockwomble every day.

**** him and **** his media worship.

I don’t recall media at the time quoting a cut price deal for Sualii to the Roosters. Only that they were happy to accomodate yearly exit windows.

If someone has an article that quotes him going there for unders at the time, please share.

I don’t recall media at the time quoting a cut price deal for Sualii to the Roosters. Only that they were happy to accomodate yearly exit windows.

If someone has an article that quotes him going there for unders at the time, please share.
Definitely was multiple articles.

Said that they’d signed him for significantly less than the $700k on offer at the Rabbitohs, but that he had the flexibility of yearly options.

Isnt is just a general rule that players go to the Roosters for unders?

They could get more (legitimately) elsewhere but take less (allegedly) to be at the Roosters.

Then they go for a round of Golf with Uncle Nick to celebrate.

At the end of the day it's a terrible investment for RA. The cheese was correct in his assessment that a $1.6mill winger isn't going to help them beat the All Blacks. Rugby, probably even more so than Rugby League is a game won in the forwards and the Wallabies pigs are terrible. Thing is... You can't just go and poach good league forwards and expect them to transition as it's a completely different game in the forwards. Unlike the backs, there is no quick fix.

RA would've been far better taking that money and going out to local league comps in the Penrith or Campbelltown area and poaching some of the more promising junior forwards from those comps. A lot of those kids are of Polynesian background and have been brought up watching Union so it's an easy switch when they're in their teens.

By the time they get through to open age it's going to be too late to get them as they generally have a completely different body shape to a Union player.

Anyway... If Union scouts actually drove further west than Kings school they could probably save the whole competition in this country. Luckily for League they don't seem capable of crossing Pennant Hills road

Definitely was multiple articles.

Said that they’d signed him for significantly less than the $700k on offer at the Rabbitohs, but that he had the flexibility of yearly options.
They bought out the first year of his development contract for $100k

Every year after that he’s been on $700k. Politis had his usual mouth pieces sprinkling the cut price deal then James Hooper confirmed that it was BS, the NRL confirmed Suaalii contract was registered for $700k pa.

It’s amazing the talk on here about such a s$&t player

I don’t see the same attention being paid to Paulo

Just to clarify, the reporting is all over the place from the time. And seems to get more believable the further you get away.

This article quotes a transfer fee of $110k, making his first year at the Roosters (when, at the time of signing, he was ineligible for NRL) worth about $440k (transfer fee was a 25% of first year contract dev fee). This amount was quoted as low as $50k at first, showing they likely had no idea what they were talking about.

$440k is in the ball park of what we offered for that first, pre 18 year old season.

Also remembering that he signed for 2 years at the Roosters with yearly opt outs. We were trying for 5 years, no opt-outs.

Also important to remember that at roughly the same time, Latrell reportedly extended with us for 800k a season. The same amount he knocked back at the Roosters.

So before anyone loses any sleep about a grave injustice that took place, it looks more like a case of a player simply wanting something different from a club. Most teens want long term security and a pathway to becoming a club great. This kid wanted flexibility, and a place to develop and get paid well, whilst waiting for a future World Cup. Which is entirely his perogative.

Back