• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Jye Gray

I know what you meant

And I’m saying throwing another young half to the wolves is what we did in the 2000’s

I don’t for a second think Hawkins is our long term half solution, but he was the form half of NSW cup for 2 years, knows our structures and can take a team around the park

Right now they are playing Gray at fullback

Give him half a season in Reggie’s at halfback, if he looks the goods and Hawkins is still treading water, then give him a shot then

But he’s not ready for an NRL start at 7 yet, no where near it
He looks way more ready than either Ilias or Hawkins tbh. The other problem we have is he is off contract at the end of this season. By all accounts there are already a couple of Queensland clubs sniffing around the kid. And you can bet your ass they are looking at him as a Hb not a Fb.

I'm so over this crap about players not being ready. He's 20 years old not 18. And he is in the top 30. By definition you are ready if you are in the top squad. Jye Gray MUST be in the starting side somewhere...preferably in the halves. And it needs to happen yesterday.

He looks way more ready than either Ilias or Hawkins tbh. The other problem we have is he is off contract at the end of this season. By all accounts there are already a couple of Queensland clubs sniffing around the kid. And you can bet your ass they are looking at him as a Hb not a Fb.

I'm so over this crap about players not being ready. He's 20 years old not 18. And he is in the top 30. By definition you are ready if you are in the top squad. Jye Gray MUST be in the starting side somewhere...preferably in the halves. And it needs to happen yesterday.
He certainly looks more dominant at that level than Ilias, Hawkins, Taafe, or ever have.

He’s the type of player you look at and consider saying goodbye to a long term first grade spine member. Unlike the others.

Not sure what the club was smoking when they thought that Flegg wining combo was the next big thing in the NRL.

The side was always a better team than any sort of collection of elite individuals.

Not sure what the club was smoking when they thought that Flegg wining combo was the next big thing in the NRL.

Nothing wrong with the thought process in my mind but was it ever utilised?

No and that’s the problem

Gray is quite similar to Taaffe, I hope he gets a better go of it…….as a half

Nothing wrong with the thought process in my mind but was it ever utilised?

No and that’s the problem

Gray is quite similar to Taaffe, I hope he gets a better go of it…….as a half
Gray has a much higher ceiling than Taafe ever had.

Taafe is an honest, enthusiastic player. His core skill is effort. He doesn’t excel in any other area of the game.

Gray has elite speed, nous and genuine game breaking ability.

That doesn’t mean Gray is a slam dunk, but he is the sort of player you earmark to put time into bringing through as a first grade spine member.

Taafe is a first grade utility WIP.

Last edited:

Taafe is an honest, enthusiastic player. He’s core skill is effort. He doesn’t excel in any other area of the game.

Gray has elite speed, naus and genuine game breaking ability.

That doesn’t mean Gray is a slam dunk, but he is the sort of player you earmark to put time into bringing through as a first grade spine member.

If we don't give him a go and he leaves for an opportunity we didn't give him, I'll spew.

Gray is a gun, who can play in the halves. Both our last half and his replacement last night are ordinary, and our 5/8th is struggling for form. The season is already looking shot. No brainer IMHO.

Taafe is an honest, enthusiastic player. His core skill is effort. He doesn’t excel in any other area of the game.

Gray has elite speed, nous and genuine game breaking ability.

Gray broke more tackles yesterday than Taafe did the last 3 years.

He is too good for that grade. I would look at him coming from the bench to test the waters with him.

One thing I took out of JDs press conference was I’m not sure if Dean keeps his spot. Just when asked about if he is the halfback next week he responded by saying he doesn’t know and will need to look at the tapes.

JD is more and more sounding like a defeated man. Trying his best to be upbeat he knows that the knives are out now.
You make some very valid points

If JD does go with Gray he should take Matty John’s advice and throw our structures out the window and play a run first game

This is where Gray could excell.

Forget the blocks and trying to go around teams and play through the middle third

For this to be successful though we need a back 3 who can lay a platform

Knowing JD though Ilias will be back at 7

There's been a handful of halves/backs I've watched over the years in NYC/Flegg or reserves where you just go "wow, they are wayyy too good for this"....

Yileen Gordon
Richie Williams
Chris Sandow
Luke Keary
Dylan Walker

Now it's Jye Gray.

He has erased every doubt I had about his size through talent.

Don't mess this one up, Souths. It's been a long while since we had anyone this skilful.

Richie Williams. What could have been. He chose KFC over the hard work.

Richie Williams. What could have been. He chose KFC over the hard work.
To this day I reckon he's the most skilful five-eighth I've ever seen (at the level he played at).

Unfortunately had an ego and attitude to match.

There's been a handful of halves/backs I've watched over the years in NYC/Flegg or reserves where you just go "wow, they are wayyy too good for this"....

Yileen Gordon
Richie Williams
Chris Sandow
Luke Keary
Dylan Walker

Now it's Jye Gray.

Don't mess this one up, Souths. It's been a long while since we had anyone this skilful.
Matt Mundine passing game 😍😍

Yileen Gordon
Richie Williams
Chris Sandow
Luke Keary
Dylan Walker

Now it's Jye Gray.

Since we had someone this skillful, in the spine… good prompt. Who would it be?

Reynolds was obviously a different sort of player. As was Keary. Walker came to us older, so that’s not a good comp. We haven’t really had an elite fullback come through since… I can’t remember.

Sandow is probably the last genuine excitement machine in lower grades, yeah? Besides Suali’i I guess.

That’s a long time between drinks.

To this day I reckon he's the most skilful five-eighth I've ever seen (at the level he played at).

Unfortunately had an ego and attitude to match.
Actually seen him yesterday

He looks terrible, still says hello though and walks around with a smile on his face

What could of been though

Yileen Gordon
Richie Williams
Chris Sandow
Luke Keary
Dylan Walker

Now it's Jye Gray.

That’s why JD needs to be moved on asap

Taffee, Ilias, let’s hope Gray isn’t his next failed half

Back