• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Player Jye Gray

Yeah but Jye plays RL!
None of this keyboard stuff!

I think his future is at fullback.

Only place you can hide a little bloke in an NRL team nowadays.

If you put him in the front line he’s going to have 120 kg plus forwards testing his shoulders all game, every game.

He’d need to bulk up to handle it and then probably loses a lot of what makes him great.

If I’m the club I’m transitioning him to fullback asap

Bombs would be put up with him all day long.

He is fine at fullback when a team needs to kick for distance.

But any attacking bombs and having runners coming at him or others competing for the ball against him he would be found out there big time.

That's why he can't be fullback long term.

We aren't playing in the same era as Clive Churchil

If you've got an attacking weapon, then use him. Surely our coaching staff can come up with alternatives to accommodate his size whether that be in the halves defensively or under the high ball at fullback. I personally would go the way of 5/8 with him, but he'll be waiting on Cody for that jumper, so the occasional stint at 14 against less structured teams would probably be the way to go now.

If you've got an attacking weapon, then use him. Surely our coaching staff can come up with alternatives to accommodate his size whether that be in the halves defensively or under the high ball at fullback. I personally would go the way of 5/8 with him, but he'll be waiting on Cody for that jumper, so the occasional stint at 14 against less structured teams would probably be the way to go now.
Yep, 14 and injury cover. Didn’t hurt Cronk, Hynes, Thurston, etc as a pathway to grade.

I reckon he’s our 7 in 2025, partnering Cody, and we win the comp in Cook and Cody’s last season.

Last edited:
Not saying he should play fullback, but if Reece Walsh can be the best fulllback in the comp at 177cms, I don’t think we can automatically rule out Jye. Technique goes a long way.

Walsh looks like a giant in comparison

Not saying he should play fullback, but if Reece Walsh can be the best fulllback in the comp at 177cms, I don’t think we can automatically rule out Jye. Technique goes a long way.
I think Munro will be our eventual fullback.

Jye needs to continue his development as a 5/8 or halfback, we never put enough development effort into halves, or so it seems at times.

Jye looks like a natural half, Munro looks like a natural fullback.

There's 7cm difference, so not quite.
My point is that Reece has guys much taller than him fighting for the ball, so size obviously isn’t as much a factor for taking a bomb as fans make out. If it was, he and Dylan Edwards would never catch one.

If a little guy gets dominated leaping for bombs, I’d suggest it’s more his technique than his size.

There's 7cm difference, so not quite.

It makes a difference.

You don't look at walsh and be like he isn't tall enough to be a fullback.

But Gray looks tiny compared to everyone else on the field.

Looks like he would struggle if pressure is put on him catching high balls.

Yep, 14 and injury cover. Didn’t hurt Cronk, Hynes, Thurston, etc as a pathway to grade.

I reckon he’s our 7 in 2025, partnering Cody, and we win the comp in Cook and Cody’s last season.
I think 6 would be a better fit from a defensive perspective. At 6 you could also have someone like Cam defending inside him, so in theory, he shouldn't have as much traffic coming his way compared to defending at first off the ruck. I think a good example of this is Walker at the Roosters. He gets trounced in at 7. Luckily for us, Lachie is sensational in that regard.

My point is that Reece has guys much taller than him fighting for the ball, so size obviously isn’t as much a factor for taking a bomb as fans make out. If it was, he and Dylan Edwards would never catch one.

If a little guy gets dominated leaping for bombs, I’d suggest it’s more his technique than his size.
I saw Penrith targeting our small f.b. In a GF not so long back.
Poor Bastard.
Jye has a choice if good enough halfback or the Dogs!

I saw Penrith targeting our small f.b. In a GF not so long back.
Poor Bastard.
Jye has a choice if good enough halfback or the Dogs!
Not a very good fullback. Is tall enough (taller than Edwards and Walsh). That and the pressure removed by kick pressure, field position and blocking by top teams.

Back