• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

I've got a new rash

The way this is going the thread will be closed sadly.

Why?

There hasn’t been any offensive conduct.

I think Ash’s point was well made even if I didn’t agree with all of the conclusions he drew.

And Andy responded with respect.

We can have a debate without resorting to insults and name calling.
It can but it often veers into murky territory and evokes strong feelings one way or another.

These kind of issues cause deep debate.

I would love one day for a few antagonists to be asked to honestly put pen to paper and give an honest opinion as to where this country would be today if the English had landed and said " nope no way we are settling here" and went home, there is zero chance the country would have been left as it was, and to be honest who would chose to live with no shelter or medical aid, clothing .
I hope the protesters sweltered in the heat, me i was snorkeling in the Cudgen creek at Kingscliff with my wife, son and grand daughter.
View attachment 790
View attachment 791

I would love one day for a few antagonists to be asked to honestly put pen to paper and give an honest opinion as to where this country would be today if the English had landed and said " nope no way we are settling here" and went home, there is zero chance the country would have been left as it was, and to be honest who would chose to live with no shelter or medical aid, clothing .
I hope the protesters sweltered in the heat, me i was snorkeling in the Cudgen creek at Kingscliff with my wife, son and grand daughter.
View attachment 790
View attachment 791
Although I agree with your comments it does not take away from the hideous actions done.

I'm a Lebanese male and have never really connected to this date either. The English arriving here means little to me. A date that is meaningful to all may be better suited. It may not. Fact is the first Australians find the date of the English arriving a difficult date and that for me is enough to change it. The day should be inclusive to all. I know we will always have people that will complain but a date that reflects mourning for part of our Australians is a terrible date.

Would be like America celebrating America Day on 9/11

If we changed the date i honestly believe nothing would change, today we had Greens senator Lidia Thorpe declaring war, as i stated had the English not settled the outcome would have been vastly worse as another nation surely would have been, the Spanish?, the French or Dutch maybe?, either way when we look around at this fantastic country Australia day is to pay respect to the poor convict souls who were landed here in chains and with just hand tools turned this country into what we have today, changing the date would have about as much effect as saying " Sorry" did, we are all Aussies and should just get on with being decent people, it all happened a long time ago, as with the Roman and Viking invasion of England.
We should try and keep politics and sport separate.
Although I agree with your comments it does not take away from the hideous actions done.

I'm a Lebanese male and have never really connected to this date either. The English arriving here means little to me. A date that is meaningful to all may be better suited. It may not. Fact is the first Australians find the date of the English arriving a difficult date and that for me is enough to change it. The day should be inclusive to all. I know we will always have people that will complain but a date that reflects mourning for part of our Australians is a terrible date.

Would be like America celebrating America Day on 9/11

Last edited:
326278591_1329511177895329_1533327909093204174_n.jpg

A great set from Uncle Vic Simms at Survival Day at Larpa today. He is a longtime Rabbitohs man and still going strong in his late 70s; his voice is arguably better than ever. Kudos to Randwick Council for putting it on.
Great voice and a great story.
Take the time to listen to the Richard Fidlers interview on the ABC from a few years back.
He’s a link

L

When I went to school I learned nothing about the land theft, murders, and wars. Just happy stories about Captain Cook, and penal colonies.
If kids are now being taught the facts about this, well and good. I didn't learn it until years later at university, along with how badly our indigenous have been treated since then as well; missions to convert them, forced reservations, stolen generation, abuse and discrimination. The younger generations do not have to feel permanently guilty, but they do need to learn and acknowledge about the past and realise that for many, this day is an awful reminder.
I cannot speak for other teachers in other schools but I was a teacher for 38 years in various schools and did this sort of history on many occasions. I had a process. 1. Australia before the Ab. -'The Giant ripper' megalania. 2. Ab. history. 3. Early explorers. 4. Cook. Britain and the first fleet. 5. Life in the colony. 6. effect on Ab.
EVERY year we would have a NAIDOC Day- over 38 years of Ab. stories I personally learnt a lot, like how they boiled water, kept a fire going in the rain and how they stopped themselves from getting sunburnt- once a teacher and I dug a huge hole in the playground and a FN person made a hug fire , let it die down and then put in all this food and covered it with dirt. Next day we fed the school.
Added to this many FN stories and art work in every classroom on numerous occasions.
No the younger generation do not need to feel guilty just as German children or Japanese children. Yes they need to learn about it just as they need to know what a cat-o-nine tails was.
Every child in every country needs to do the same. You should read about what Boudica and her tribes did to the Romans and collaborators during her rampage in Britain in the first century AD-and vice versa.
One thing I learnt being a student of history. Humans can be real sh###- in every country.

26 January marks the day when the inhabitants of this continent became British subjects (involuntarily and with few rights) but it also marks the anniversary of the enacting of the Nationality and Citizenship Act (in 1949) when we could, for example, have an Australian passport. So it's an important date on that score. But I favour moving Australia Day to 17 September which marks the anniversary of the amendment of the Act which then became the Australian Citizenship Act and which finally cut ties with Britain - the is better than 1 January which does mark the establishment of Australia but we were still all British subjects.

On the subject of massacres, etc., what the colonial settlers did was awful. But we should remember that this sort of thing had been going on for ten of thousands of years on this continent - tribes/clans/nations/mobs (whatever you want to call them) fought for land, I would imagine especially in times of drought when resources were scarce. 1788 saw the arrival of a race that was technologically advanced and ultimately came in great numbers so this continent changed forever.

Cheers

Could say the same thing about the flag as well.

People will argue that soldiers died for that flag in war... No they didn't. They died for the country that flag represented.

Times have changed and the Australian flag is no longer really representative of this country in 2023.

Change it to something that actually represents the people of Australia. ALL of the people of Australia.

The 1st of Jan is such a better date. And as there’s already a holiday you’d have to hold it over till the 2nd, allowing an extra day recovery post-NYE. It’s a no-brainer.
I agree, the date of federation (Jan 1, 1901) has more significance to the nationhood of Australia and importantly it remains relevant today.
Jan 1st and 2nd could work as a joint holiday, much like Christmas and Boxing days are celebrated on consecutive days.
Clearly the current day is proving divisive and it certainly isn’t ideal to have a national day alienating a growing percentage of the population.

Last edited:
What actual effect does the 26th have on our indigenous people?, if they dont want to celebrate then dont, but why spoil it for everybody else, or really is it all about the hate, spite and spoiling, how many honestly would raise the hand and elect to go live as they did before settlement by the English, no shelter, no medical aid, little to no clothing, short life expectancy, this has become and industry of hate, Lidia Thorpe declared war yesterday, she claimed in her words " they are still raping us, they are still killing us", BUT the truth is the people raping and killing aboriginal women and young girls is their own people.
If the lives of Aboriginal people is to improve it has nothing to with with a date or flag or treaty, they just need to get up and start to make changes themselves, there has been billions of dollars thrown at this problem and after all that we have situations like we have at Alice Springs, mt isa and Tennant Creek.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back