• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

JD Sacked

Exactly why it’ll be Furner as interim coach vs Dragons. JD has Penrith next round, another L on the season snapshot.
Or we could of and should of sacked him after the Sharks game

Bring in the interim/s go go into a mini pre-season origin style camp where the team learns once again training is the hard part and playing is easy

Yeah we still probably drop the Storm and Penrith game but at the end of that we are ready to roll through the easier part of the draw

Instead we have wasted another 3-4 weeks where nothing has improved and it’s losing as usual

We’re at the point where JD is gone regardless of performance.

There is no way in hell he’s the coach in 2025.

So it’s just a matter of when they pull the trigger this season.

It really depends on if they have a caretaker lined up or not. Though that decision works both ways.

I think if Hornby was going to be the caretaker, JD is gone any moment. They can pull that trigger and make the change.

The only reason I can see for a slight delay, is that there is an external caretaker they have in mind which requires a timeframe to execute.

With Arrow back, and then Mitchell back post Panthers, AJ will be the only other top squad player not available that isn’t a long term injury. So for the first 8-9 weeks of the caretaker’s reign, that side post Panthers is the one they’ll have to work with. Prior to Tatola, Munro and Graham later in the season.

I don’t think our issue is attitude related, I think it’s deeper preparation, approach and training mentality stuff, and I don’t think you turn that around without a pre season re-alignment.

So this season is likely donezo. It sucks, but that’s the reality of the situation. The club backed the coach to turn it around in the offseason, he couldn’t. So he goes and we deal with a lost season (short of bringing in a huge home run as caretaker - historically, that is extremely extremely rare though).

Meaning I don’t imagine we see any major improvement in the short term, post JD.

But what it does do is allow you to have open conversations about the future (2025). Which is important considering JD won’t be here.

Or we could of and should of sacked him after the Sharks game

Bring in the interim/s go go into a mini pre-season origin style camp where the team learns once again training is the hard part and playing is easy

Yeah we still probably drop the Storm and Penrith game but at the end of that we are ready to roll through the easier part of the draw

Instead we have wasted another 3-4 weeks where nothing has improved and it’s losing as usual
I agree with your points.

I would have terminated JD after the Sharks game as well. Given the caretaker / Furner a couple of weeks with the team in the lead up to the Melbourne game.

I’m just outlining what I believe is going on within the club. Not saying I agree with the approach, just my view - from 30 years in management and senior management including sitting on boards.

As I said in my previous post, I’m in the “rip the band aid off” camp.

I agree with your points.

I would have terminated JD after the Sharks game as well. Given the caretaker / Furner a couple of weeks with the team in the lead up to the Melbourne game.

I’m just outlining what I believe is going on within the club. Not saying I agree with the approach, just my view - from 30 years in management and senior management including sitting on boards.

As I said in my previous post, I’m in the “rip the band aid off” camp.
I also agreed with yours ( strange world we now find ourselves in )

I’m sure from the Pappas side of things, due diligence is being done

Then in my opinion, from the football club side of things guys like Schaefer and Ellison are clambering to save themselves

I’m still of the belief Furner will run the day to day and Meninga will be brought in to manage egos

Can anyone pinpoint the moment our club became satisfied with mediocrity?
Probably from Round 20 last year, where as shit that we were playing, we still were in the 8.

The downward slide has continued to date and to be honest maybe we were lucky to have beaten the Dogs this year.

Reflecting makes me sad as even the game in a couple of weeks against the Dragons at Jubilee now worries me.

It’s definitely not the Souths team that we’ve all known and loved - hoping we can turn it around soon.

I also agreed with yours ( strange world we now find ourselves in )

I’m sure from the Pappas side of things, due diligence is being done

Then in my opinion, from the football club side of things guys like Schaefer and Ellison are clambering to save themselves

I’m still of the belief Furner will run the day to day and Meninga will be brought in to manage egos
Strange days indeed, most peculiar momma.

You can see Mr Pappas’ hand all over this. He’s a seasoned corporate operator and has seen a crisis or two in his time (understatement of the century).

And there’s a reason Furner’s been brought in.

Mal gets a lot of disrespect for his coaching credentials. I happen to think he knows his strengths and surrounds himself with complimentary skill sets…bit like Wayne actually.

We’re at the point where JD is gone regardless of performance.

There is no way in hell he’s the coach in 2025.

So it’s just a matter of when they pull the trigger this season.

It really depends on if they have a caretaker lined up or not. Though that decision works both ways.

I think if Hornby was going to be the caretaker, JD is gone any moment. They can pull that trigger and make the change.

The only reason I can see for a slight delay, is that there is an external caretaker they have in mind which requires a timeframe to execute.

With Arrow back, and then Mitchell back post Panthers, AJ will be the only other top squad player not available that isn’t a long term injury. So for the first 8-9 weeks of the caretaker’s reign, that side post Panthers is the one they’ll have to work with. Prior to Tatola, Munro and Graham later in the season.

I don’t think our issue is attitude related, I think it’s deeper preparation, approach and training mentality stuff, and I don’t think you turn that around without a pre season re-alignment.

So this season is likely donezo. It sucks, but that’s the reality of the situation. The club backed the coach to turn it around in the offseason, he couldn’t. So he goes and we deal with a lost season (short of bringing in a huge home run as caretaker - historically, that is extremely extremely rare though).

Meaning I don’t imagine we see any major improvement in the short term, post JD.

But what it does do is allow you to have open conversations about the future (2025). Which is important considering JD won’t be here.
Very good points and fully agree.

If reported and true when AJ questioned JD for giving Latrell some accolade with Tass in the win against the Dogs tells you it’s completely downhill.

Cam Murray at the Storm conference also tells you if the entire group were to genuinely voice their opinions they surely would all be saying that JD is a fraud.

On paper we have a powerful side but in reality we’ve become completely ineffective and right this moment I would even suggest Dragons, Tigers and Titans would give us one heck of a game and could not honestly give us a straight out win like I would have easily done previously.

Rusty and the board need to fix this mess as I can see Penrith absolutely caning us and zapping out any confidence that’s left. What a shit show.

Strange days indeed, most peculiar momma.

You can see Mr Pappas’ hand all over this. He’s a seasoned corporate operator and has seen a crisis or two in his time (understatement of the century).

And there’s a reason Furner’s been brought in.

Mal gets a lot of disrespect for his coaching credentials. I happen to think he knows his strengths and surrounds himself with complimentary skill sets…bit like Wayne actually.
Has someone hijacked your account, because we are in agreement again 😂🤣😂

They can roll out the disclaimer that results are not showing improvement and the issue has reached a critical point…yada yada
Yes, that makes sense to me.

JD knows what is coming. JD cannot argue that he wasn't given a fair crack in the top job. He needs to take a long break with his family and conduct his own review to understand where it all went wrong.

As we all know, no person is bigger than this MIGHTY club, SOUTH SYDNEY.

They can roll out the disclaimer that results are not showing improvement and the issue has reached a critical point…yada yada

Perhaps that is their plan, so that he can't take them on for unfair dismissal?

Not knowing the details of JD's contract, what KPI's might be contained in it, and any termination clauses, this may have pointed the club in a certain direction and they are going down that path to avoid any repercussions from an unfair dismissal?

Or, as I was told a few weeks back they believe we have been absolutely screwed over by circumstances and they will hold firm with their 5 game promise

I don’t believe they will, self interest always rules

I think we all agree that another week is futile in terms of the coach somehow extracting signs of improvement. However the club also needs to be seen extending the opportunity for that possibility. Penrith will be the breaking point and that would have certainly been predictable.

There can be any number of contractual or other issues that are preventing an immediate change.

There may be issues with a replacement.

There may be other decisions to be made first, eh management changes etc.

There may be “high performance” changes first.

Or it could be as simple as they now Storm and Penrith are going to be tough, so make the change when the opportunity looks better.

Anyone calling Nick Pappas an idiot and not knowing what he’s doing is laughable.

I’ll ride it out and see what happens before screaming like a 4 year who lost their lollies
The board lead by Nick Pappas are poor so is the CEO. Just letting the train wreck lag on.
Our proud club needs better than this. Recruitment and team selections have been dreadful. We need a total clean out top to bottom. Wayne recommended Jason which has backfired. Adam going was the catalyst for the decline. It’s not acceptable and needs to be fixed now. Players walking, not competing as if they don’t care less. We are an embarrassment and it needs fixing. Where are our leaders? Oh that’s right we don’t have any.

Ive been told the decision on JD is made, board meeting is a formality. He will most likely coach the Penrith game because no point throwing Furner to the wolves, but Furner will coach out the year. Going hard for Wayne (Dolphins playing hard ball trying to keep him as coaching director) and still testing the Bellamy waters but that’s unlikely. Club don’t want a rookie coach for kid so doubt it will be Sam

Ive been told the decision on JD is made, board meeting is a formality. He will most likely coach the Penrith game because no point throwing Furner to the wolves, but Furner will coach out the year. Going hard for Wayne (Dolphins playing hard ball trying to keep him as coaching director) and still testing the Bellamy waters but that’s unlikely. Club don’t want a rookie coach for kid so doubt it will be Sam
If that is true, it's both weak sauce AND unfair on JD and the playing group.

For whatever I think of his coaching, he seems a great bloke and deserves to be told, face to face, that he is done with immediate effect.

Who cares what happens vs Penrith? Like anyone with a brain would get annoyed at Furner or whoever takes over if we get belted.

It's dumb.

Latest posts

Back