• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Interesting.......

News in that workers from the 9 network have been assaulted in Paris, no wonder Le Penn is so popular, France has turned into crap.

Nine’s Olympic staff attacked in Paris during attempted robbery; police investigate alleged gang rape​

Really poor for the Paris Olympics to mock Christianity, they wouldn't dare mock Islam .
Screenshot_20240728_073324_Chrome (1).jpg

Really poor for the Paris Olympics to mock Christianity, they wouldn't dare mock Islam .
It's just an artistic interpretation. The last supper has been done probably thousands of times in art and comedy.
Don't know about the Olympic committee but can't help think of Charlie Hebdo.

The Last Supper

It's just an artistic interpretation. The last supper has been done probably thousands of times in art and comedy.
Don't know about the Olympic committee but can't help think of Charlie Hebdo.

The Last Supper

I have zero problems with people taking the piss out of religion but the earlier point stands. It seems ok to attack christianity but not others

I have zero problems with people taking the piss out of religion but the earlier point stands. It seems ok to attack christianity but not others
It is a fair point. Two incidents come to mind; Salman Rushdie and Charlie Hebdo in relation to Islam. I can't think of a Christian equivalent (although there might be one).

I think it shows some maturity to be able to laugh at yourself and not take things to heart. Maybe it's just that Islam is a younger religion? Christians certainly were putting blasphemers to death several hundred years ago.

The French did also ban the burqa so it's not as if they're scared of offending Islam either.

Last edited:
It is a fair point. Two incidents come to mind; Salman Rushdie and Charlie Hebdo in relation to Islam. I can't think of a Christian equivalent (although there might be one).

I think it shows some maturity to be able to laugh at yourself and not take things to heart. Maybe it's just that Islam is a younger religion? Christians certainly were putting blasphemers to death several hundred years ago.

The French did also ban the burqa so it's not as if they're scared of offending Islam either.
It's not OK to hold Christ up to ridicule at any time.

Its not that Islam is younger, its that at its heart is violence and the direction to kill, as in Surah4.
#4: 89: And they wish that you should disbelieve like they have, then you will be equal; so take them not as your friends until they migrate in the Path of Allah. And if they turn away, then seize them and kill them wherever you find them, and take not from among them a friend or helper.#
The Olympics is about Nations coming together to compete in sport, the mocking of Christianity with drag queens, gays and cross dressers was disgusting, and typical leftist mockery.

This andrew tate thinks it's just soooo mean and awful to parody Christianity?

This one?

This guy?

tate.jpg

Folks are rightly pretty cheesed off.

Olympics opening ceremony organisers respond to claims they 'mocked' Christians​

One part of the opening ceremony proved particularly controversial (Picture: BBC)

One part of the opening ceremony proved particularly controversial (Picture: BBC)© Provided by Metro
Paris 2024 organisers have apologised to Catholics and other Christian groups angered by aspects of the Olympics opening ceremony.

The River Seine played host to a soggy and eventful opening ceremony on Friday night as the 33rd Olympic Games were officially opened.

Artistic Director Thomas Jolly oversaw proceedings, with the likes of Celine Dion and Lady Gaga performing after hundreds of athletes were paraded on boats along the river.

Ad

Fans were not particularly overawed by the scenes in the French capital, with some claiming the opening ceremony paled in comparison to the one that proceeded London 2012.

Some aspects of the ceremony have also came in for intense criticism, particularly a scene which saw an apparent portrayal of Leonardo da Vinci’s Last Supper painting featuring a diverse line-up including several drag artists among those dining at the iconic table.

1 / 8

fullscreen.svg

£350million Olympics security operation guarding Paris from the sky

£350million Olympics security operation guarding Paris from the sky

flipper-next.svg

£350million Olympics security operation guarding Paris from the sky©Provided by Metro
A £350 million security operation is underway in Paris ahead of the Opening Ceremony of the 2024 Olympic Games amid threats from terrorist groups like Al-Qaeda and ISIS. France’s largest peacetime deployment of forces in history was being finalised on Thursday, a day before festivities kick off on the River Seine (Picture: Shutterstock)
Elon Musk posted on X that the scene was ‘extremely disrespectful to Christians’, while several religious figures condemned the depiction.

Among them was the Catholic church in France, with the Conference of French bishops saying in a statement: ‘This ceremony has unfortunately included scenes of derision and mockery of Christianity, which we very deeply deplore.’

The Paris Games officially began after an eventful opening ceremony (Picture: Getty)

The Paris Games officially began after an eventful opening ceremony (Picture: Getty)© Provided by Metro
US Catholic Bishop Robert Barron described the portrayal as ‘gross mockery’ of The Last Supper, adding: ‘I love the Olympics, so I turn on the opening ceremony of the Olympics.

‘And what do I see now? It’s in Paris, France, a city I love, I spent three years as a doctoral student there.

PGB News'I'm ashamed for my country!' French MEP hits out after Paris Olympics opening ceremony - 'It is propaganda'

• ‘I see this gross mockery of the last supper and I woul
  • n’t describe it any further.

‘France felt evidently as it’s trying to put its best cultural foot forward, that the right thing to do is to mock this very central moment in Christianity where Jesus at his last supper gives his body and blood in anticipation of the cross.’

Olympic opening ceremony director Thomas Jolly (Picture: Getty)

Olympic opening ceremony director Thomas Jolly (Picture: Getty)© Provided by Metro
Responding to the controversy, Paris 2024 spokesperson Anne Descamps apologised if ‘any offence’ was caused but defended the overall ceremony and says it ‘achieved their ambition’.

‘Clearly there was never an intention to show disrespect to any religious group,’ she said.

‘[The opening ceremony] tried to celebrate community tolerance. We believe this ambition was achieved. If people have taken any offence we are really sorry.’

Ad

The opening ceremony’s Artistic Director added: ‘My wish isn’t to be subversive, nor to mock or to shock.

‘Diversity means being together. We wanted to include everyone, as simple as that.’

Criticism also came from further afield, with Germany’s Bishop of Passau Stefan Oster saying: ‘An impressive opening to hopefully peaceful games.

‘The queer Last Supper was a low point, however, and wholly superfluous in the context.’

Back