• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Interesting.......

My first car was the HT 1970 station wagon which looked much the same as the HK, had 3 on the tree column shift which used to jam if you didnt do it a certain way, handled like a ship and did 0 to 100 in 18 seconds with the 161 cu inch motor, got it up to 98mph on a straight and it wandered like a boat, but it took me everywhere , many hunting trips out to Cunnamulla and Dirranbandi chasing pigs and you could pull the whole car apart with a 1/2 and 9/16th spanner..
My best friend in high school owned something similar, a couple of years earlier model. It was a tank. Sadly he died in it while drink driving.
We used to give him shit for owning a Valiant but really it was a great car. I drove it a couple of times.

My first car was this one minus the venetian blinds. HK Wagon
View attachment 2115

Last edited:
Funny story about a valiant slant six, an old work colleague of mine had one and on a cold winters day he knocked off from work started the engine on his car only to hear a horrendous noise under the hood, it seems that one of the local feral cats found that the nice and warn slant engine was a good place to take a nap, not sure what state the cat was in but the engine still ran OK.

Funny story about a valiant slant six, an old work colleague of mine had one and on a cold winters day he knocked off from work started the engine on his car only to hear a horrendous noise under the hood, it seems that one of the local feral cats found that the nice and warn slant engine was a good place to take a nap, not sure what state the cat was in but the engine still ran OK.
Feral cats are pretty indestructible. Nine lives is no joke!

I had a rats nest in one of my cars engine bay. Can't remember which car? Maybe an HQ.

There was (not that it's right), a racial stereotype of Valiant owners.

They were great cars. My mates I've now remembered was an AP6, similar to yours. It had the slant 6.

Oh, I'm English so I guess that's a stereo type of English people?
Odd.

The AP5 and AP6 were good cars, which one had the push button gears? Pretty sure it was one of those.

I had a Datsun 1200 ute. Put a canopy on the back . Drove it all over the country

I had a Datsun 1200 ute. Put a canopy on the back . Drove it all over the country
The Datsun 1200 was a great little car.

Just to add to this, a friend of mine was left a white Datsun 1200 when her gran passed away.

It had only done something like 12000k's, it was literally as new, like it just came out the factory. I tried to buy it off her but she wouldn't sell it.

The story has a sad ending,

She ended up rolling the car over the side of Razorback and her best friend, who was only 16, died in the smash. Terribly sad.

Last edited:
Chrysler products were great. Engines larger than there competitors just not marketed well IMO.

The Nissan 180B along with the 120Y etc were great cars but in later years they decided against honouring their warranties.

Last edited:
Back