• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Immigration

The govt has made much of saying we need skilled immigrants to build the houses, but then you see in the media last week more yoga instructors and dog handlers were brought in than building trades people lol, so then we get back to the underlying agenda of the BIG Australia plan where both parties want high immigration so they can say our economy is growing and not fall into recession, i have 4 adult children and none could afford to buy a home on one income like i did, and to be honest when was the last time you drove past a house being built and the workers were Indian or Chinese?, going back a bit our immigration was usually around 140k a year, bumping it to 500k a year is hurting our people and i know for Brisbane the traffic is horrendous with no plan to fix it.
And dont think we let Nazis in these days , but i will check under my bed lol.
Absolutely mate I agree, and maybe I'm just drinking the KoolAid of the "we need immigration" people without reading the fine print. But at the very least we need to do more as a country to make ourselves less reliant on immigration.

The govt has made much of saying we need skilled immigrants to build the houses, but then you see in the media last week more yoga instructors and dog handlers were brought in than building trades people lol, so then we get back to the underlying agenda of the BIG Australia plan where both parties want high immigration so they can say our economy is growing and not fall into recession, i have 4 adult children and none could afford to buy a home on one income like i did, and to be honest when was the last time you drove past a house being built and the workers were Indian or Chinese?, going back a bit our immigration was usually around 140k a year, bumping it to 500k a year is hurting our people and i know for Brisbane the traffic is horrendous with no plan to fix it.
And dont think we let Nazis in these days , but i will check under my bed lol.
Immigration, refugees, bloody tricky issues. And we know they are tricky issues because they keep popping up again and again. Labor with their supposed soft approach and the LNP with their supposed hard approach haven't solved it.
And we can add to that climate change. And probably a few others.
I try to be neutral and at the end of the day it doesn't matter, because the government politic is skewed towards the conservative because of the influence, and dominance of the Murdoch media.
Without a balanced media, we are cursed with a biased narrative.

100% KB,honest journalism is a cornerstone of democracy!
Newscorpse CEO claims it’s journalism.As in dishonest?
Newscorpse joke!

Who or what decides how many people come in to Australia?
I know we do need immigration, but how are the numbers set?
Is it the government, ie politicians to decide, or is it an independent body like the reserve bank?
I know which I'd prefer.
It’s entirely in the hands of the Commonwealth government. They set the annual targets without a lot of light being shone on the factors behind the targets. It’s only very recently where there‘s been any opposing view, Libs and Labor have been pretty much in lock step until Dutton broke out of the unwritten ‘never discuss’ policy.
Both parties are playing around and window dressing with a little snip here and there pretending that everything is on a good track now.

Back