• You must be logged in to view threads on this forum. Please sign up by clicking here to continue viewing content on the mighty South Sydney Rabbitohs.

Immigration

Who or what decides how many people come in to Australia?
I know we do need immigration, but how are the numbers set?
Is it the government, ie politicians to decide, or is it an independent body like the reserve bank?
I know which I'd prefer.
Good question, I do remember KRudd saying that "I dream of a big Australia" so politicians have the major say and I know that big business love it, take for example Gerry Harvey who is a big supporter of high immigration will make a bundle from the new migrants, Dick Smith is vehemently against big immigration and as he says "it will have to stop sometime, it can't keep going forever". My opinion is that the powers that be couldn't give a toss what the average Australian wants and ignore the fact that they should have a referendum on the issue and implement our wishes.

Last edited:
So why did you?
Look mate I saw how you carried on at the warren until you finally had to leave, I didn't interact with you there and I don't want to interact with you here so please discuss issues with others........thankyou.

Look mate I saw how you carried on at the warren until you finally had to leave, I didn't interact with you there and I don't want to interact with you here so please discuss issues with others........thankyou.
I didn't reply to you, as I recollect, you replied to me. Remember? It's not that long ago. So next time, skip past
And I didn't leave, I was pushed out like Demetrius, payout and all

I didn't reply to you, as I recollect, you replied to me. Remember? So next time, skip past
And I didn't leave, I was pushed out like Demetrius.
Then if you were pushed out it is because you are trouble looking for somewhere to happen, so go and happen to someone else as I'm not interested in what you have to say.

Then if you were pushed out it is because you are trouble looking for somewhere to happen, so go and happen to someone else as I'm not interested in what you have to say.
Great, at least we agree on something and now we don't need to lose sleep over it

Great, at least we agree on something and now we don't need to lose sleep over it
Exactly, you'll never agree with my values and I certainly won't agree with yours so there's no point in discussing.........let's just ignore each other.

Exactly, you'll never agree with my values and I certainly won't agree with yours so there's no point in discussing.........let's just ignore each other.
That suits me down to the ground. We agree then, there will be more trouble

Last edited:
Another attack on the Boomers", i personally don't know any boomers that don't have sympathy for the younger generations trying to get into the property market. shrug.gif

Proof Boomer argument is dead in water

affordability of house prices over time graph

Is it still possible for the average household to upgrade from an apartment to their dream home? We did the maths and found out.

It seems to me, from the young people that I come across, they have zero interest in getting into the market at the bottom or lower levels.

And the example of Christian and Tammy used to manipulate of his contention is laughable

Last edited:
It seems to me, from the young people that I come across, they have zero interest in getting into the market at the bottom or lower levels.

And the example of Christian and Tammy used to manipulate of his contention is laughable
Which young person is getting into the property market at any level? It is insanely difficult. Save $100,000 before you even get a look in. How to save $100,000 in this day and age? Living expenses are outrageous.

Which young person is getting into the property market at any level? It is insanely difficult. Save $100,000 before you even get a look in. How to save $100,000 in this day and age? Living expenses are outrageous.
I told my niece to move out of Sydney but her partner won't make the move........she has no future with him I'm afraid.

What deposit do you need for a 500k loan ? 25k?

What deposit do you need for a 500k loan ? 25k?
I think it would be $50k.
5% deposit for first home owners, plus LMI, plus stamp duty, plus conveyancing fees.

I don’t know where you’re getting a place for $500k though. Certainly not anywhere near Sydney.

I live in South West Sydney, median price is over $1m even out here.

Back